Dismasted

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi
I was on my last sail of the season; 2 ft seas, 5 to 10 kts w/ little gusts. Was on a starboard close
haul when the mast and RF came crashing down on port side; so fast I didn't see what happened.
Boat is 1989 272 le mast and rigging was checked by rigging before it went up and all looked good. Mast broke at deck and snapped at the speaders. The genoa and main sail ended under water and lost life lines and stancions on port. Got small dent from mast on port side. No one got hurt. It seems they are going to total the boat which I have put an incredible amount of money and tlc into. Does anyone know where i could get a mast and boom besides Rigrite. I'd like to try to buy the boat back from insurance, but the prices i've gotten for the rigging don't make economical
sense. Any feedback appreciated. (used sources would be fine)
thanks
Paul Beam

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Once a vessel has been 'written off '(declared a total loss) by an insurance company it is almost impossible to get insurance on that hull again. I'd be extremely careful about buying a hull that you will have to pay to dispose of if things don't work out.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
it sounds as though in exchange for your insurance co's payment of the loss amount agreed between you, they propose to take title to the vessel. why don't they just pay you the cost to repair it and let you keep the boat? find out what they intend to do-- pay you off, then sell it as-is, where is? auction it? it seems to me that a perfectly usable hull should be able to be restored at a reasonable cost. whoever is inclined to do so could put another mast and rigging on it. you may wish to try arbitrating this with BoatUS if that's your carrier.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Wow. Glad no one was injured. I don't know any other source for a 272 mast other than RigRite. It might be worth looking for a beaten up 272 that you could probably purchase for very little, and use it for parts to repair yours.

As an aside, do you know the cause of the failure? Did the mast section actually break, or did the rigging pull out or fail?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You shouldn't have to use RigRite. Any mast the right length should work, you just need the right fitting for the deck if deck stepped or the keel if keel stepped to go with the mast. What failed on your mast that it crashed? Others might want to look at the failure potential on their own boats to avoid the same problem. Here's an outfit selling used masts they have one listed for a Cal 27 probably similar size to the 272? http://sailboatwreckingyard.com/

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Try Craigslist. I saw a 272 being parted out there recently.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
2 oday 272's for sale on ebay currently. Paul did the insurance company pay off rather quickly or did they give you a hard time and investigate? What happened to you is my worst nightmare. From your description it sounds like it was mast failure. I insured my boat with foremost and we came to a conclusion if the boat is a total loss currently their payout would be 17,500 and 3,000 in gear if she sinks losing my gear. Chartplotter, tillerpilot,etc..I pay a little more for this insurance which is 30.00 a month then I did in the past. If I run across anything I will let you know.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The original 27 ft. O'Day had a taller mast and of course, more sail area...I think that would be difficult to make work without
a substantial change in sailing characteristics and replacement of the rigging...

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
thanks pat that's what i thought. What I did find (thank You GREG!) in New Jersey (actually Greg found it) was an 87 272
that a guy was getting divorced and left in boat yard for 6 years Water got into the sole and seized engine but all the rigging is intact. He is asking 2k and I can get for less. I have a good price to have it brought to boston where I'd strip it. I can sell the lead keel for about 800 (40 cents a lb) which will pay for half the shipping. So I might be ok.
Greg, if you are reading this, thank you for the lead. I think it saved my butt

Paul Beam

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Happy to help, Paul. :) Keep us posted on your progress. Hoping you're back in the water next spring!

Best,

Greg

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Cutting a mast shorter should be easy, changing the mast step might not be. Is that boat keel stepped or deck stepped? Sounds like you have a good plan and a whole boat worth of spares. Good luck with it.

Oct 13, 2013
Wayfarer Mark I GRP Chicago
You shouldn't have to use RigRite. Any mast the right length should work, you just need the right fitting for the deck if deck stepped or the keel if keel stepped to go with the mast. What failed on your mast that it crashed? Others might want to look at the failure potential on their own boats to avoid the same problem. Here's an outfit selling used masts they have one listed for a Cal 27 probably similar size to the 272? http://sailboatwreckingyard.com/
Think you are already going this route but this is the option I'd use. I went through the same as you last year and passed on this option. Still regret it. Best of luck to you.

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 29.5 Long Beach, MS
I have a mast, boom spreaders, all painted with Imron, and standing rigging for a 28' O'Day you can have if you will pickup. I am located in Northeast Louisiana. These are off of a boat I was rebuilding and have since parted out. I hate to see the go to waste is why they are so cheap.