Catalina 30 plastic logo in original script style

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Anyone know where I can find a Catalina 30 logo in script, as is on our 1985 Catalina 30 now?
The logo in the store is block style, not script.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ted, very clever idea in that link. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with a 3D printer? Would that work?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Ted, very clever idea in that link. Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience with a 3D printer? Would that work?
It would work perfectly. I plan on creating the CAD files for the C22 logos this winter.
If someone can send me photos of the Catalina 30 logo, along with dimensions, I should be able to make one for that too.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
The Catalina 30 logo on our boat is the name 'Catalina' in script followed by a separate number '30'. I have the numbers, just the 'C' of Catalina is missing. If you want it, I can photograph the 30. What do you need? A ruler along side for a scale?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Sure, if you can take a photo, shot straight on, of all the parts you have.
Make sure there is no perspective distortion.

A ruler alongside for scale would work. (just the accurate dimension of total length would also work)

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I will try to get a shot in the next week. It is raining for the next few days.

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
I should have thought of stingysailor's process as I used to be a dental lab tech (many years ago), but haven't got any of the tools and other resources I used to have. I have an 86 Catalina 27 that has the same partial C missing, but until reading this thread, didn't notice I am completely missing everything on the port side. I would be happy if I could get someone to make me even just the name like stingy showed in the above thread. His looked great.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Biobob: PM me a reference photo and measurements. If it's the same lettering style as my 87 Catalina 22 then the 3D file would be easy to make.
Supposedly, Catalina used a couple different lettering styles over the years.

this will be a winter project for me and I'll do a test on a 3d printer. I'm hoping to do it in both metal or plastic. In my previous life I worked in TV and one part of that career was 3D animation.

Feb 26, 2004
You guys have your hearts in the right place, but you're reinventing the wheel.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/958/molded-plastic-logo-c-30.cfm

They have others, too: 22, 25, 27, 30, 34, 36!!!

If you could do it for less, I'm sure it would be quite welcome by many sailors.

It'd be a great thing to have for Phil to add to this sbo store, too.

I'm not sure why anyone with a Catalina doesn't know about Catalina Direct, as well as Catalina Yachts themselves, in addition to the fine store which supports this superb website.

Feb 26, 2004
Perhaps. If you read the CD link, you'll see why. There were a few different ones, they stated.

If you want only one, 'cuz one's broken on your boat, then, sure, getting matched ones makes a lot of sense. OTOH, I have yet to see anyone who could see both sides of the boat at the same time. :shhh::dancing::biggrin::)

Still, not the same logo

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Exactly... CD doesn't make all the logos. Only some of them.
If people don't care about them matching, then they could get them there.
In my case I want metal ones. You could even make them out of gold via 3D printing in I wanted.

Comment on their website: "Given the cost of the molds and the quantity of each we are required to order, we could only order one font for each boat" says it all...

"Cost of molds" ? That's so 1973

With 3D printing you can do them on demand in multiple materials. Likely at the same price or less than what CD sells them for.

At this point it's simply R&D. I've been wanting to make some up since the end of April. We shall see. At the very least, it's better than watching TV in my spare time. :)

If it works out, there's likely no reason why SBO couldn't sell them.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
Hi Leeward Rail, I will try to get a picture soon, but it does look a lot like the logo pictured on the car. And Stu, I have known about CD since I got the boat a year ago, but all of the models they show are the "block" script, and although they say there are 3 different types, each boat size pictures only the block and the description states that is the only one available.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Sure, if you can take a photo, shot straight on, of all the parts you have.
Make sure there is no perspective distortion.

A ruler alongside for scale would work. (just the accurate dimension of total length would also work)
The '30' digits are 3/4" wide and 7/8" high.

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I've never seen 3d feedstock that is advertised as uv stabile. Cast and copy might be '70's, but the polymers are seriously uv stable, and there's something to be said for that.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I've never seen 3d feedstock that is advertised as uv stabile. Cast and copy might be '70's, but the polymers are seriously uv stable, and there's something to be said for that.
Agreed. In my own case I'm looking to do some out of metal.
I have a few engineering friends who have access to cutting edge 3D printers and materials. With luck they may know of an option for plastic.
Who knows, making a mold via 3D, even for a plastic logo, may work out reasonably priced.
Like I say.. this is just an experiment at this point.