or if i can see a plan like to know if its just a post or one with palets

Capt Michel

Jan_H

Aug 17, 2009
2 26 Midland
Would Like if i can have the plan of how the rudder is built on hunter 380 1999

or if i can see a plan like to know if its just a post or one with palets

Capt Michel
Hi Michel - I realise this is an ancient thread, but did you manage to get a plan or description of how the rudder is built? I recently purchased a 2000 Hunter 380 and the surveyor noted the rudder sounded dull, possibly waterlogged. Do you know if the rudder is hollow or foam cored?
Jan

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The original poster hasn’t been seen since 2017. I don’t know the 380 specifically, but I’d be really surprised if the rudder were hollow. Rudders are usually made by companies like “Foss Foam” and foam filled.

Here’s a good primer on the type of steps that go into rebuilding one:

May 25, 2023
Hunter 33 Mallets Bay, Colchester, VT
My '07 33 had a rectangular structure welded to the stock and glassed in place on one side and I suspect yours is similar. David Walker at Foss Foam of Florida has been building nearly all of Hunter's rudders and may be able to get you a more definite answer.

20230124_211508.jpg

What are you needing to do?

Jan_H

Aug 17, 2009
2 26 Midland
Thanks Davidasailor26 and Captain Pooh,
I'd seen the video series on rebuilding a rudder; however the rudder post on my H380 is a composite/fiberglass tapered tube with two SS tubular bearings bonded to this, and so I was wondering how the rudder post would have been attached internally to the rudder sides, and whether cutting one side of the 'skin' off (like in the video) would actually release this or whether it would be bonded to the rudder post. I'm dropping the rudder anyway when I haul the boat next week, and so will have lots of time over the winter to explore its construction and effect a repair. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has done a similar repair.
Thx,
Jan

May 25, 2023
Hunter 33 Mallets Bay, Colchester, VT
When I tried doing a rebuild based on those awesome videos I mistakenly cut first into the side with the structure glassed to it - port, IIRC.

Soundings suggested moisture inside and it turned out to be a poor previous repair where the stock enters the spade. From the looks of it there must have been a hard grounding that torqued it and a previous owner just cut away some of the gelcoat & siliconed it (SMH). Drilling holes and drying for months resulted in nothing so after destroying the wrong side I wound up pulling the structure & shipping it to Foss for a complete rebuild. Not cheap, but peace of mind & my winter was used for other projects.

Seriously, call Foss for their advice. They know Hunter rudders & were super helpful even before I decided to use them for my rebuild.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
From the H380 owners manual.

rudder380.jpg

Jim...

Jan_H

Aug 17, 2009
2 26 Midland
Thanks Capt. Pooh - a call to Foss is indeed in order - I suspect at least one side of the rudder stock is bonded to one side of the spade, and don't really want to destroy that side either.