Leaky Rudder Post

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
Hello All,

I have a 1983 Seidelmann 30T, and I'd been noticing that the bilge pump had been going off more regularly. I thought I might just need to tighten the stuffing box, but yesterday I saw water gushing in through the rudder post. It only does this while under way, not while at the dock because it seems to be just at or just above the waterline.

Is there a stuffing box on the rudder that I can tighten? I won't have a chance to really get down there and take a closer look until later this week, but at first glance there didn't appear to be one.

Do you think that my rudder bearings are shot and need to be replaced?

Thanks,
Chris

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
Thanks for the reply.

The last time it was replaced or adjusted? Probably 1983! I bought the boat in 2005 and I've never touched it.

I still haven't had a chance to get back down there and take a closer look, but I'll check out that link. I also hear a slight knocking when we're at anchor, and I think that's the rudder wobbling a little, which makes me think it's the rudder bearing. So maybe I have 2 issues: bearing and stuffing box.

As soon as I can pop the helmsman's seat and really get in there I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
Chris

I think Seidelmann used Edson stuffing boxes. It uses a 3/8 inch packing. When was the last time yours was replaced or adjusted?

It's easy to adjust by tightening three bolts.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=290

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I'm hoping the knocking is your prop turning in current at anchor.

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
I'm hoping the knocking is your prop turning in current at anchor.
Yep it's definitely an Edson stuffing box. It has three bolts, each with two nuts on it (one to lock it).

I bought the 3/8 inch packing with Syntef, and next weekend hopefully I'll have time to repack it.

I'm assuming that I just back off those nuts, then the top will lift up, then I'll tape it or something to hold it up and out of the way. Then I'll dig out the old packing (if there's anything left) and then stuff the new packing in, then lower the top part and tighten it back up.

Does that sound right?

Now I just have to get my human hands on those nuts. I wish I could train a raccoon to do it!

Thanks,
Chris

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Yep it's definitely an Edson stuffing box. It has three bolts, each with two nuts on it (one to lock it). I bought the 3/8 inch packing with Syntef, and next weekend hopefully I'll have time to repack it. I'm assuming that I just back off those nuts, then the top will lift up, then I'll tape it or something to hold it up and out of the way. Then I'll dig out the old packing (if there's anything left) and then stuff the new packing in, then lower the top part and tighten it back up. Does that sound right? Now I just have to get my human hands on those nuts. I wish I could train a raccoon to do it! Thanks, Chris
That's about right. If boat is in water be sure post is above water line and you aren't rocking too much. Use a pick to get the old stuff out. Good luck.

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
Ok, other than having a tough time actually getting my hands in the right place, it was a piece of cake. I put 1 circle of new packing in there, slathered in Syntef.

Next week I'll take it out and motor it full speed to see if it's still leaking, but my confidence is high.

Another project done!

Thanks for the help,
Chris

That's about right. If boat is in water be sure post is above water line and you aren't rocking too much. Use a pick to get the old stuff out. Good luck.