Dock Steps

Jun 3, 2004
Beneteau 423 Chicago
Beneteau 423

When the boat is docked the following condition exits:
The location of the life line gate is 18" away and two feet up from the dock.
I'm fine with it, however it does present an inconvenience for guests (especially elderly ones).
Also there's nothing really to grab on to when boarding the boat.

Has anyone found a dock step that folds up for storage and bridges the gap to the opening. A more drastic measure would be to add another gate near the shroud.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well I suppose it dpends on how high your dock is!

I'd just mount one of these on the finger. That should cover 98% of your needs.

Taylor makes them, WM sells them.

Jun 3, 2004
Beneteau 423 Chicago
Thanks.
I've looked at these dock steps. They do solve the vertical height problem but they don't solve the problem of bridging the gap between the boat and the dock

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i just bought one of these! its coming on the ups truck today

edson one step

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks.
I've looked at these dock steps. They do solve the vertical height problem but they don't solve the problem of bridging the gap between the boat and the dock
Set a temporary dock line to your primary winch and position the boat in close. Frankly, I don't take guests who can't negotiate a reasonable boarding process. There are too many ways to fall and injure on a boat and the evacuation options can be grim.

Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
Set a temporary dock line to your primary winch and position the boat in close. Frankly, I don't take guests who can't negotiate a reasonable boarding process. There are too many ways to fall and injure on a boat and the evacuation options can be grim.
I know what you mean. Our beamy Bennys tend to leave a gap aft of midships, when we tie up to leave the boat parallel to the dock. For boarding, I let the bow line loose and haul in on the stern line, which brings the aft quarter right up against the dock. It also swings the bow far away from the dock, but as soon as we cast off it doesn't matter.

Jun 3, 2004
Beneteau 423 Chicago
I have been setting a stern line on the aft winch and easing the bow line to pull the stern in closer on a temporary basis, however it kicks the boat to port and the quarters are rather tight with another boat next to mine. It really doesn't work too well.
Thanks, though

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I have been setting a stern line on the aft winch and easing the bow line to pull the stern in closer on a temporary basis, however it kicks the boat to port and the quarters are rather tight with another boat next to mine. It really doesn't work too well.
Thanks, though
No, leave all docklines where they are. Take a temp dock line to the dock midships and lead it to the primary winch (your foresail winch) or to that big fat Beneteau cleat midship. Do this for boarding and then release and recover it.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I winch the boat in close and use the sugar scoops. Backing in is required, no big deal with practice.

As for those that do not accept sailors that cannot manage boarding gymnastics, I hope they remember what they said when at some age the shoe is on the other foot, and either they or their spouse is marginalized as crippled. They won't like it.

A gang plank is not valid, unless there are railings, as many of these people will also have balance problems.

But what I really don't get is why sailors accept such inconveniences, even for the able bodied, when there are supplies and materials to be transferred. Fix it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
An interesting topic. There is no doubt that the sailing community is getting older, as is the general population.

The trick is to balance capabilities with needs, and be reasonable about who comes aboard and when. Our First 367 has no gate. To board you have step up 14 inches from the dock and come over the lifelines at the shrouds. It often gives normally sound-bodied people pause.

Someday I'm going to need a gate. And maybe a ramp.

My hero and role model has to be Jean-Marie FINOT, designer of some of my favorite boats. He's well into his 80s and sails a high performance Pogo 10.5. All electric winches help. I'm guessing he added a gate, one does not come standard.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
My pappy sailed well into his 80's. But he worked very hard to maintain his strength and balance. For years he packed his physician into the crew, and left Ma on the dock when she abandoned PT after knee replacements. As a skipper, he knew the very real consequences of injury or incapacitation to himself, and the rest of the crew. At some point all of us will step off the boat, stop driving the car, and adapt. Carpe Diem mates. There is a natural end to every endeavor.