ST 6000 to garmin 741xs - HELP

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Ok so I've searched and searched and tried multiple connections but still can't get this to work even though I have read its possible.

I would like my chartplotter and autopilot to talk to each other but I can't work out the wiring.

Do I connect to the course computer or to the control head (raymarine side) to the garmin? Also - what cable should I use, I've tried phone cable (I read it somewhere don't judge!)

Do I pretend its impossible and live without it... :cussing:

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
It is possible. You need to use a small stranded wire something like Anchor 18ga. The trick to connecting Garmin to anything NMEA 0183 is that the neg signal wires tie to ground. A call to Garmin support will give you the exact wiring connections you need to make. Or Google "Garmin st6000 NMEA". Others have already done this.

May 13, 2011
Thanks Tim

I've been searching for so long and read so many posts!

I have done that exact search you mentioned just now and found a few new ones to look at - will have a go at the boat this week and report back.

Thank you for the wire size also.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Garmin NEMA 0183 out, 2 wires and a ground shield (just 5v signal, no current to speak of)

Raymarine 6000+ control unit, NEMA 0183 in

The Raymarine 6000+ will put the sentence to the Seatalk bus thus available to other Raymarine displays.

May 13, 2011
Ok so not the course computer down below but the actual head unit itself at the helm?

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Computer down below

Ok so not the course computer down below but the actual head unit itself at the helm?
The computer down below is a multiplexer and will ship the data to the display at the helm.

You are right

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Garmin to Ray 6000+

The computer down below is a multiplexer and will ship the data to the display at the helm.

You are right

No need to connect to the display. Only need to connect to the course computer down below.

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
For what it is worth the NMEA "Out" on my ST60 & 6001 instrument heads produce a limited set of NMEA Sentences most notably missing is location & time sentences (GGA).

The "IN" on the head will decode a more complete set including location & time (GGA).

However, the NMEA "OUT" & "IN" on my S1G core pack (course computer) produces & decodes a more complete sentence set. Check your manual, but I suggest using the NMEA input/output from the course computer.

As for wiring, use a 18 or 20 gauge marine shielded (2 wires + & -) instrument wire like:

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?7323/

Good Luck,
Garner