Beneteau First 285 Propane Locker, latch

Feb 13, 2015
Beneteau 285 Seaford
My lock or "latch" on my Beneteau First 285 propane locker is missing. I wanted to see if I could replace it or make something as a suitable alternative. Can anyone provide any information related to this part? Pictures of the latch showing both inside and outside of the door would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Bill

"Sun King"
Hampton, VA

Feb 13, 2015
Beneteau 285 Seaford
Thanks Ron, I searched the site and either I've overlooked it or it doesn't exist. The closest I got to it was in their "Deck Fittings" (Mooring Anchoring tab) which shows all of the outer hardware. Unfortunately it does not show the propane locker. Am I missing it somewhere?

Bill

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hhmmm... I wonder if that was an option? Maybe just too old a model? I went and looked and i could not find that section like they have for my 323. Maybe if you or someone had a picture? I just ordered parts from a 373 and 393 for my 323. Sorry.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
On my 373, there is no latch on the propane hatch like the other lockers have. However there is a 3' piece of 3/8" line attached to the hatch on its underside. Follow that line down and you will see it goes inside of another locker next to the propane locker. In that other locker the line passes thru a cleat. Using that cleat you secure the propane hatch while you are out sailing. I bet your 285 works the same way.

Jan 22, 2008
My B323, the propane lid in the cockpit has a lip that is held down by the lzz lid, so no lock needed on the propane lid.

Apr 23, 2011
Beneteau 285 First Cleveland
My lock or "latch" on my Beneteau First 285 propane locker is missing. I wanted to see if I could replace it or make something as a suitable alternative. Can anyone provide any information related to this part? Pictures of the latch showing both inside and outside of the door would be helpful. Thanks in advance Bill "Sun King" Hampton, VA
I replaced it with a stainless latch that I purchased at west marine

Feb 13, 2015
Beneteau 285 Seaford
Andreas, do you have a pic of the part you bought from West marine, part number etc.? I don't have any pictures of what it should look like or another 285 nearby to reference. Or do you have a pic of the door and the locking mechanism?

Thanks for all the replies.

Bill

Apr 23, 2011
Beneteau 285 First Cleveland
Andreas, do you have a pic of the part you bought from West marine, part number etc.? I don't have any pictures of what it should look like or another 285 nearby to reference. Or do you have a pic of the door and the locking mechanism? Thanks for all the replies. Bill

PERKO CP Bronze Lockable Hold-Down Clamp
Model # 268435 | Mfg # 1108DP0CHR
$72.99(Ships to Store for FREE)

Had to make a shim to keep the small end in the proper location and drill different holes

Feb 13, 2015
Beneteau 285 Seaford
Andreas,

While not original that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you very much for all your help.

Bill

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
This is what the LP locker on our 285 looked like. The latch cost just a couple of dollars, there was a second eye strap inside the locker, with the two of them I was able to secure the tank. We also had the swim ladder which leaned against the door to the propane locker which helped to hold it closed. With the tank secured in position, nothing moved at all. The hard part was finding the space to fit all of the lines and the solenoid.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
It looks like the tank is laying on it's side? Isn't it suppose to stand upright... or is it?

Nov 21, 2007
It's upright

It looks like the tank is laying on it's side? Isn't it suppose to stand upright... or is it?
The propane locker was not in the cockpit, it was in a cutout section of the transom (a one piece molded fiberglass container with a compression fitting sealing the gas line near the top of the container) with the swim ladder leaning up against the door...

Attachments

Feb 13, 2015
Beneteau 285 Seaford
Dave,

Yours is a very similar setup as mine. What is the electrical wires of red, green and yellow? Mine doesn't have these or the Green apparatus the wires are running into, I'm thinking a previous owner modified mine.

Nov 21, 2007
Dave,

Yours is a very similar setup as mine. What is the electrical wires of red, green and yellow? Mine doesn't have these or the Green apparatus the wires are running into, I'm thinking a previous owner modified mine.
Your PO probably didn't modify your system, I modified mine. That is a solenoid shut off that I installed two years ago. It was one of a number of things that I was working on at the time to upgrade the boat.

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Yellow is sometimes used for DC negative instead of black. This is so that the AC hot black does not get mistaken for DC negaitive, a safety feature.

Feb 9, 2013
Beneteau First 285 Cushing, ME
Bill et al,
Looks like you've got leads on the latch, so maybe one of you has an answer for me, which is where can I find a propane tank to fit into that 285 stern locker?

I have a 1989 285 Liberty Cup Edition. Bought it 3 years ago. Propane tank was missing from the stern propane locker. Beneteau in SC has no replacement. Has anyone found a supplier that has a tank that will fit this locker?
Dennis

Nov 21, 2007
...where can I find a propane tank to fit into that 285 stern locker?

Beneteau in SC has no replacement. Has anyone found a supplier that has a tank that will fit this locker?
Dennis
That's a surprise! It's the same size as the new one which came in our Oceanis 34 last year. As far as a replacement goes, I found one at our local True Value Hardware store, and have seen them in a couple of other locations as well.

Attachments

737fly

Sep 9, 2024
Beneteau 285 PMI
Hello! I know it's a very old thread, but I recently bought a 285 and mine doesn't have the propane storage box in the stern. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me where can I buy it. It would be so helpful.

Thanks a lot!!!