Mainsheet Traveler

Elton

Nov 28, 2007
Beneteau 32s5 Kelowna
I have a 1990 32s5 and want to move from the coach roof traveler to a cockpit traveler. Does anyine have any recomendations on the brand of traveler I should go to?

Nov 24, 2012
Harken would be my recommendation with second place going to lewmar while the tracks maybe similar in quality the blocks are vastly different. Since you're redoing it I also put in an extra purchase to make triming easier.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Every time someone moves a traveler from the coach roof to the cockpit God spares a kitten.

I generally concur with Harken gear being slightly superior to Lewmar. But I DID install Lewmar traveler kit on my First 260. You'll face many of the same issues on the install, so you might find this informative. The same piece is correctly sized for your mainsail.

http://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-ideal-first-260-traveler.html

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
On your 32 the minimum I'd recommend is a Harken Midrange traveler. Jackdaw has you covered on some of the pitfalls you must account for in placement.

From pictures, I can assume your only viable option for cockpit traveler is right behind the companionway. The deck shape there looks like it might already have a location available for such a configuration?

I really like the configuration in this picture this allows a mainsheet trimmer (assuming its not solo sailed) the ability to sit on the high side and dump the traveler easily, and work it back up again. 2:1 isn't going to cut it, you'll likely want 4:1, picture looks like it shows 3:1

Elton

Nov 28, 2007
Beneteau 32s5 Kelowna
Thank you all for great information. Yes, the configuraiton will be the same as shown in the photo. I am concerned about the 26 3/4" span the traveller has from side to side (where the bag is situated in the photo)....? Do you think I should add a "bridge" of some sort?

Nov 8, 2010
Thank you all for great information. Yes, the configuraiton will be the same as shown in the photo. I am concerned about the 26 3/4" span the traveller has from side to side (where the bag is situated in the photo)....? Do you think I should add a "bridge" of some sort?
Two options:

Mount the traveler bar on a support; a 1x1 SS tube with 1/8th walls. See the link in my first post. My bat has the same span distance.

Use a high-aspect traveler bar designed to span widths.

Elton

Nov 28, 2007
Beneteau 32s5 Kelowna
Yes, I read the attached link after I responded initially. Thank you very much, great information and will now proceed with the project. I will follow up once I'm done and let you know how it all turns out.

Nov 8, 2010
Yes, I read the attached link after I responded initially. Thank you very much, great information and will now proceed with the project. I will follow up once I'm done and let you know how it all turns out.
All good... let us know how it turns out!

Elton

Nov 28, 2007
Beneteau 32s5 Kelowna
Follow up - I installed the Harkin traveler and mainsheet system in my cockpit back in June. Install went relatively easy. WHAT a difference! I just love the new system. Pointing much better, easier to control and manage. Racing results improved immensely.

I kept the coach roof traveler system and use snap shackles to switch back and forth. I use the old Coach Roof traveler when we are out cruising and entertaining friends. Then switch to the cockpit traveler for our weekly racing and regattas. In both cases, I clip the free snap shackle of the “lazy” mainsheet system to a bail under the boom. Nicely out of the way.

I’m very happy with the end result. Thank you to the encouraging news I received initially. Made the decision and job much easier.