Who uses an anchor roller?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Thanks for the great info.

My boat currently has a 9 pound Danforth S600.
I'm with you on wanting a bigger anchor. The Danforth site says a S600 with holding power of 400 is good for 20kts up to 27ft. Not so great for a sound sleep on the hook. Even the S920 would be a big improvement and it's stock is only 3" longer. Hopefully the S1300 or a similar claw will work with the roller without major modifications.

I figure I'll get the Cd custom roller for now, and when the winter comes, I'll investigate designing and making a longer and stronger custom roller that handles a larger anchor.

Roy

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I have the CD anchor roller... I had considered making a custom roller but the CD one is not very expensive compared to the cost and time commitment of fabricating and welding a new one. I thought I would at least see how the CD version preforms before deciding to do a custom job.
My boat came with a 14 pound (I think) Danforth and it was on the hangers. I will keep the Danforth as a back up, but I still haven't made up my mind what new primary I will buy. Since you all know how crazy I am, I might fabricated a new one in Stainless and polish it up. Even on 220V power, sadly, my plasma cutter may not be able to cut the thickness of SS required to build that style anchor.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Since you all know how crazy I am, I might fabricated a new one in Stainless and polish it up.
Nothing crazy about that. If I had access to all the tools I'd try do it myself too.

I have learned that the local tech school's 6 night welding class is usually attended each year by two guys who already know how to weld. They simply want access to a complete machine shop with an assortment of welders and a computerized plasma cutter.

As an alternative, I know a guy who owns a shop and he's the type who loves doing something out of the ordinary just for fun.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I'm curious where you keep the anchor rode, line
Normally the anchor sits in the roller, with the rode attached.
Traditionally the rode goes down a hawsepipe into some type of storage area.

New style C22's have an on deck anchor locker to store a small anchor and it's rode.
The front of the locker has a beveled area so the lid can be shut while the rode is still out.
(Check Don's post in this thread for photos of his boat)

Older C22s don't have the on deck locker, though I did see a thread here where someone cut a hawsepipe into the deck and set up some type of storage for the rode.

Some boats I've seen keep the anchor on the roller, but the rode is stored in a cockpit locker.
They carry the rode forward, hook both ends up, and unclip/drop the anchor.

If I didn't have storage up front, I'd prefer hanging the anchor off the stern pushpit and running the rode to the bow. Makes it easy when you are alone, to simply drop the anchor over the side from the cockpit, then back up and set the anchor.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Gene: I think you just overdid it! My 13 lb Danforth on a 26' Clipper Marine never slipped at sea or fresh water over 17 years of use! No matter what you use 4' of chain is not going to help much even on a lunch hook! Chief

Last edited:

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Dam it! Now I need a roller!!

Lol

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I think the trick will be to solve the lack of room between the bow and the anchor locker.
A longer roller and a heavier anchor will put a lot of load on the small area.

Maybe a mini roller/sprit setup would work ?
Run a brace down to the leading edge of the bow from the bottom of the roller ?

pateco: your bow looks like it has some serious bracing down both sides of the deck. maybe thats the solution to spreading the load on the C22.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Dam it! Now I need a roller!!

Lol
BOAT= Break about another thousand

Seriously though. IMO The price for CD's C22 roller , makes it a no brainer if you use a "normal" C22 sized anchor.

Protect the bow. Make it easier. or as Don mentioned: help squeeze water off the rope rode

Besides it just looks good ;)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene: I think you just overdid it! My 13 lb Danforth on a 26' Clipper Marine never slipped at sea or fresh water over 17 years of use! No matter what you use 4' of chain is not going to help much even on a lunch hook! Chief
Thanks, Chief, that's great to hear! I know the 4' of chain is woefully inadequate. Still, I was surprised to see the anchor fail to set in 15' of water, 150' of rode, and VERY soft silt. When I say soft, I mean when I dove down to set the anchor by hand, my arms literally went in all the way up to my shoulders when I jammed the anchor down into the muck. And this has happened repeatedly.

Note to self: more chain for the lunch hook!!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
My low budget solution to easy anchoring has a cool factor of zero, but I've never had any problems with the anchor staying secured to the rail during choppy seas. The chain portion of the rode stays inside the bag to keep it from banging around. The rope portion of the rode is hung to the rails by velcro straps. Very convenient for anchoring and then letting things dry out afterwards.

That's a killer idea RJD!! I'm another "New Model, Hank On, looking for a better anchor solution" kind of guy and I like what you did there. I have a 15 lb. Danforth with 10' of chain and 150' of rope and my eyes on the C.D. anchor bracket. I haven't mounted it yet but I think I may be joining you in putting mine on the side of the pulpit. I hate the idea of all that chain swinging around, bashing into things, has anyone considered maybe sleeving the chain rode in something like an old bicycle innertube??

Nov 26, 2012
Slim: My buddy did just what you suggest. He put his chain in clear tubing. It was a disaster, as it rusted like crazy in that semi-closed environment! The best concept I know of is to put the chain in a bag just below the anchor and hangers and tie it to the rail also if you like. I used this in both fresh and salt for 17 years and worked great! Realize that the immediate reward is you can deploy your anchor quickly. A bicycle innertube will not cut it as you will need a minimum of about 12' of chain. I would personally use 15' for a 22' boat. In the sea I would go for over 15'! These guys don't seem to understand: its the chain that makes the anchor set! (Along with a good Skipper) Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Gene: few anchors will hold in silt. Chain is the answer as it holds the anchor flat until it digs in and sets. Be sure to back set after you drop your anchor. Chief

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Here is the CD anchor roller installed on our boat. Photo taken during our stay in the Palafox Marina, Pensacola, during the second day of the C-22 North Gulf Coast Cruise.

Don

Last edited: