Info. on How Well a Islander 37 MS Handles Rough Seas ?

Oct 8, 2012
Islander I-37 . Motor Sailor Bonifay
Hello All,

Looking to hear from owners/ skippers about the stability of a Islander 37 MS in heavy seas, gale conditions ? Yes, I realize that the seamanship of the skipper is always the deciding factor.

I think the Islander 37 hull is the same in both I-37 models, except one is built as a motor sailor on the same hull.

Thanks,

Avery

Mar 16, 2013
Islander Islander 34-2 Long Beach
34' Sails Great!

I'm sorry that I can't give you an answer specifically on your boat but I have a 1972 Islander 34 with 3/4 keel and mast stepped on the keel. I have sailed over 3,000 nm in the last year including Cabo and back (from Long Beach, CA) and my boat sails beautifully through gales and rough seas. I just got an offshore main and am really looking at Hawaii next. Probably this year. I can't imagine that the 37 would be bad. The key, is the skipper and keeping the sail trimmed for the conditions but the boat has to be sound and I believe in the Islanders totally.

Don

Hello All,

Looking to hear from owners/ skippers about the stability of a Islander 37 MS in heavy seas, gale conditions ? Yes, I realize that the seamanship of the skipper is always the deciding factor.

I think the Islander 37 hull is the same in both I-37 models, except one is built as a motor sailor on the same hull.

Thanks,

Avery

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Hello All,

Thanks,

Avery
you have answered your own question in your second sentence.

the islander 37 is an offshore rated boat but with the smaller fin keel and smaller spade rudder and "pilot house", it is NOT a heavy weather boat.
keep in mind that "offshore" rated is NOT the same as "open ocean" rated.

the capsize factor may be within reason, but I would consider the need to be at the helm all the time in moderate to heavy seas to keep the boat on coarse due the the keel and rudder design.

but there are many boats that are much less that have sailed the world without incident, but few of them have ever faced gale or storm conditions.

no one can know the power of a storm at sea, or be mentally or physically prepared for it until they have been thru a couple of severe blows while offshore with a nearly unlimited fetch...
but once you have experienced it enough so you know the power it has, then you will have a better idea of what boat you might want to ride thru the experience in...

the islander 34 is a much differently designed boat than the islander 37ms... the sailing characteristics cant be compared other than the name....

Mar 16, 2013
Islander Islander 34-2 Long Beach
Thanks Centerline...

You added information that I did not know. Well said!

you have answered your own question in your second sentence.

the islander 37 is an offshore rated boat but with the smaller fin keel and smaller spade rudder and "pilot house", it is NOT a heavy weather boat.
keep in mind that "offshore" rated is NOT the same as "open ocean" rated.

the capsize factor may be within reason, but I would consider the need to be at the helm all the time in moderate to heavy seas to keep the boat on coarse due the the keel and rudder design.

but there are many boats that are much less that have sailed the world without incident, but few of them have ever faced gale or storm conditions.

no one can know the power of a storm at sea, or be mentally or physically prepared for it until they have been thru a couple of severe blows while offshore with a nearly unlimited fetch...
but once you have experienced it enough so you know the power it has, then you will have a better idea of what boat you might want to ride thru the experience in...

the islander 34 is a much differently designed boat than the islander 37ms... the sailing characteristics cant be compared other than the name....

Jul 12, 2015
Islander 37 MS ladysmith
I can't say how well it is in heavy seas but in moderate it does quite well. A bit tender heading down wind, but handles it self well. Most of my experience is with wind against current in coastal waters. She was bit of a handful to keep on course but seemed to be able to handle things well.