Dauphine Island Race

Aug 18, 2014
Catalina 22 Madison
This is sad news. I've been out in my Catalina in storms and it's not a pleasant experience. I try not to armchair quarterback too much but the first YouTube video is case and point. They saw the storm coming and were just sitting there casually watching not putting life jackets on. I think the older guy is still drinking his beer as the Lightning is striking. The guy hurried below to get raincoats...priorities. If you're watching a storm roll in put on your PFD, send the unnecessary crew below deck or have them tethered in. These people were lucky they weren't a statistic. I spent almost five years in the Coast Guard, people do dumb stuff and then we get called out to pick up the pieces. Lest we forget the rescuers are risking their lives as well when joe boater gets into a situation he can't get out of. It's all about your risk assessment. We use them all the time in the military and these people didn't and paid the price. They gambled and lost. I saw some people post earlier and say poetic things like they died doing what they love but "f" that. They died unnecessary terrible deaths and risked others in the process. It's one thing to be adventurous and push your limits, buts it's a whole different ball game out there on the water and cavalier attitudes are met with consequences. End Sermon.

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
A video from one of the boats showed:
- The boat had sails down. Wind was strong, boat level and under control.
- With wind to port, a crew member's with back to wind had life vest blown over head and off. Stiff wind, loose vest.
- A boat a few hundred yards ahead had full main up was on rails, struggling. It may have capsized shortly afterwards.

I was surprised to see the full main, compared to the other with sails down.
I was also surprised to see the boat with the full main up. But was also surprised to see the one with the sails down. My course of action would have been a small amount of jib and running at 45 with it. If it was not too bad only then would I try no sails and the motor.

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
We were there. Here's our take.

If you'd prefer to see the pictures, you can read this on our blog at http://www.lifeonthehook.com/2015/04/27/our-perfect-storm/

Our Perfect Storm

This is a cautionary tale about how a little bad luck and a few less than optimal decisions can make for a very interesting day. In this blog we tend to focus on the joys of a life afloat, but it’s important that you know that it’s not all fun and games.

We had a wonderful time at the Jimmy Buffett concert in Orange Beach, Alabama, and I’ll write something about that soon. But it was now the day after, and the topic of discussion over breakfast was when to return home. We had paid for three days at The Wharf Marina, and we had the slip for another night. But we had a brisk west wind, which would make for a fine sail home, and there was a 40% chance of isolated thunderstorms forecast, while Sunday (the next day) called for an 80% chance of more widespread storms. Living as we do at the base of a 62 foot tall lightning rod, we’re not big fans of sailing anywhere where lightning hangs out. Since a 40% chance of storms sounded better than an 80% chance, we made the decision to go.

Bad luck (or bad decision, we could go either way on this one)—we trusted the weather report.

With some thought and discussion, we worked out a plan to clear the slip while broadside to a stiff west breeze, bring the bow into the wind without drifting down onto nearby boats (the marina was packed for the concert) and gain enough speed in the restricted basin to get steerage to make the quick turn to enter the channel and head east. With the help of some dockhands and a few extra lines, we executed the plan flawlessly and probably earned a few boat karma points that we would cash in later in the day.

Once headed east, we rolled out the jib and shut off the engine and settled in for a comfortable sail home. With the wind dead on our stern, we decided not to roll out the main, because the trip along the intracoastal called for a lot of course deviations north and south of east, and having to gybe the boom every few minutes didn’t sound very relaxing. We were making from four to six knots under jib alone, a beneficial current was pushing our Speed Over Ground (SOG) to seven knots at times, and we had no reason to be in a hurry. The skies were partly cloudy, with what appeared to be the normal afternoon coastal front building 10 miles inland. With a Buffett mix playing on the cockpit Bluetooth speaker, we were reminiscing about the concert the night before and totally enjoying the day.

Our first indication that something was wrong was when we were overtaken about two hours into our trip home by Sunset Raider, an Elite 32 from our old marina at the Naval Air Station where we used to keep our boat. We knew the crew. They’re racers. They had been tied across the pier from us at The Wharf, as they had also sailed from Pensacola for the concert. But they were motoring, all sails furled and covered. A racing crew that was motoring on a delightful day for a brisk downwind sail. “I wonder why they’re not sailing?” I said to Rhonda. We shrugged and watched them pull ahead of us. After a few moments, Rhonda turned to me and said, “I wonder if they’re running from weather?” We looked over our shoulders back to the west. The frontal boundary we saw building inland, the one we assumed was the usual line generated by afternoon onshore flow, did look a bit darker than when we last looked.

Mistake #1: We always have our VHF on when underway, monitoring channel 16. But since buying Eagle Too last year, I’ve yet to sit down and give the radio manual more than a cursory glance. I know there’s probably a way to program the radio so that it will scan for NOAA weather alerts automatically without having to change to a weather channel, but I haven’t taken the time to do it yet.

Mistake #2: Both our cell phones were down below. When I went below to retrieve one, I saw that we had received a Severe Thunderstorm Warning alert on our weather apps. But we hadn’t heard them over the sound of the music we had playing in the cockpit. Now aware of the situation, we checked the radar (on the phone app, we haven’t yet installed our onboard radar) and saw an ominous line of severe storms to our northwest headed our way.

We immediately started the engine, rolled up our jib, and made a dash for home. At that time, we were about an hour and a half to two hours out. Leaving the jib up and motorsailing might have given us another half knot, but I thought it best to roll it up in case we were hit by a sudden gust.
For a few minutes we thought all was well and we might make it home before the storm hit. But then the air temperature suddenly dropped as we began getting outflow from the approaching storm, and we knew we didn’t have the time to make it back to our marina. We conferred on our options and decided riding it out at anchor would be safer than trying to push on through a potentially severe storm. We were in Big Lagoon at this point, an area we are very familiar with, and which we know has very good holding in sand and soft mud. Having much faith in our Manson Supreme and all chain rode, we worked in toward the south shore, well clear of the intracoastal channel with its steady stream of barges and commercial traffic, and dropped anchor. It left us more exposed to the wind than tucking into the north shore would have, but I feared that if we anchored on the north shore and dragged during the storm, it could leave us dragging right through the channel.

By the time I had 80 feet of chain paid out in 11 feet of depth and set the snubber, we could see rain moving across the lagoon and the wind started to build. We took a quick picture, buttoned up the boat and went below to ride it out. While waiting, we set an anchor alarm on my phone and dashed off a quick update on Facebook to let our friends and family know where we were and what we were doing.

In a matter of moments, the wind rapidly clocked from WSW to NW. We watched as our display showed the wind climbing through the 30’s, 40’s and into the 50’s. Our boat started violently sailing in large arcs, jerking up short and rolling 45 degrees each time it reached the end of the rode and reversed direction. The wind howled through the rigging, and we held on for dear life. Then the anchor alarm went off. It showed the distance to our anchor point steadily and rapidly increasing. Not only had we broken free, but the anchor wasn’t resetting. We were rapidly dragging down on a four foot shallow a quarter mile to our stern. Grabbing the engine key, I threw open the companionway, dashed to the wheel, started the engine, and began driving the boat into the storm. It took constant wheel and throttle work to stay nose to the wind, because the boat wanted to fall off and come broadside to the gale. But I also had to ensure we didn’t ride up over our rode, because wrapping the chain around the prop would have resulted in us being driven ashore.

The wind reached 54 knots, or 62 mph, and the rain was blinding. But at least motoring into the storm stopped the violent rolling. Then, the bimini started coming apart above me, steel tubes and fabric flailing about the cockpit. Rhonda bounded up from below and grabbed the loose frame, holding it tightly with both hands to stop it from flying apart. And for the next 20 minutes, we each fought our separate battles with the storm, unable to offer assistance to each other. I couldn’t stop driving, or we’d be blown ashore, and she couldn’t let go of the bimini frame, or it would rip itself apart.

Eventually, the storm passed. It probably lasted about 45 minutes from beginning to end. As the winds dropped back into the 30’s and then settled at about 20 knots, the boat finally stopped dragging. We were able to secure the engine, tie down the bimini, and lay below. The radar showed nothing else headed our way, so I made a couple of Thank-God-We’re-Alive celebratory adult beverages and we talked through what had just happened while it was still fresh. An After Action report if you will. It was during this discussion that Rhonda pointed out another error we had made.

Mistake #3: We had focused entirely on saving the boat, and completely forgot to save ourselves. While we have an excellent pair of offshore inflatable life jackets onboard, in our haste to deal with the conditions at hand neither of us had thought to don them.

After another 30 minutes passed, conditions had improved enough to let us resume our trip home. Weighing anchor, it was immediately obvious what our problem had been. When the Manson broke the surface, I could see that it was completely encased in a ball of gooey clay, studded with bits of shells. I think what must have happened is that our violent sailing at anchor had jerked the anchor so hard that it had dug through the sandy bottom of the lagoon and embedded itself into an underlying clay layer. It had then popped loose a big ball of clay, which clogged the anchor and prevented it from resetting. It was effectively a great big weight rather than an anchor, which is why we kept dragging until the wind abated. Normally I’m a big fan of modern spade-style anchors like a Manson, Rocna or Mantus, but in this case, I have to wonder if a good old plow style might not have performed better.

As we completed our trip, we could hear constant radio traffic from sailing vessels calling the Coast Guard or declaring emergencies. We passed what looked like a Catalina 30 with several people onboard that had been driven aground off the Fort Pickens pier. SeaTow was already on the scene attempting to refloat them. The rest of the trip was uneventful, and by the time we made it to our slip, the clouds were clearing and a rainbow appeared.

An hour later the storm felt like a distant memory of another time and place. But I guess that’s all part of the experience of this Life On The Hook™. One minute you’re fighting fear and struggling to save your boat, and two hours later you’re sipping a cocktail and contemplating where to go for dinner. As we looked back at our day, we took comfort in the fact that while our boat had been rolled on its beam multiple times, very little had moved down below. A few small items had been thrown about the cabin, but our thoughtful use of Velcro and bungee cords had kept everything in its place. Even the 28” TV on its bulkhead mounted swing arm stayed put. Apparently I had sufficiently tightened the swivel screws on the arm joints. And it was with a deep sense of satisfaction that we realized we had been thrown a serious challenge, and we had responded calmly and rationally and worked as a team to protect our home. But next time, I guarantee we’ll each be telling the other “Put on your lifejacket!”

Vindication and Loss

A followup. Since we experienced the storm as an intensely personal event, we didn’t really comprehend its true scale. While watching the news reports the next day, the magnitude of the event was revealed. First, we felt our decision to head home on Saturday was vindicated. The Fairhope Yacht Club had looked at the same weather report as us, and elected to conduct their annual Dauphin Island Regatta in Mobile Bay, believing that the bad weather would arrive on Sunday. Over 100 boats competed, and the surprise storm devastated the fleet. Sailors interviewed by the local TV news said they had sailed the bay for 10, 20, even 30 years, and no one could remember a storm appearing from nowhere so rapidly. They all held the yacht club blameless, saying that the weather forecast supported their decision to hold the regatta. But much sadder than the boats that were lost was the loss of life. As of the moment that I am writing this, almost two days later, the bodies of two sailors who competed in the regatta have been recovered from Mobile Bay, and the Coast Guard is still searching for an additional five missing sailors. Please pray for them.

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
So, I was watching the video that was posted above, the captain seemed to say stay with the wind? is that the best course of action when a storm in heading our way? I was thinking shouldn't you head into the storm, seems like that would be better? but I am a young guy and never really sailed in adverse conditions... be interesting to hear from my favorite crazy guy... CDC?
Depends on the boat. In bad conditions it is always a surprise if you are sailing and then you start motoring. With the motor you really only have two choices, with the wind or against it, The propeller depending on the waves may come right out of the water either way, and this is bad - possible blown engine may result and real trouble.

With a small area of sail up - a bit of genoa on a furler or a storm jib, and running at a broad reach it often is surprising calm.

The key is to forget where you WANT to go, but letting the wind TAKE you in its direction.

If you decide to motor into the wind, it is often very hard to not slide broadside, and the danger of broadside to the wind, if the conditions are chaotic. Keeping it into the wind means up and down on every wave, with wash over the boat on every peak and trough. I did this once, it took about three hours to go about one mile, being soaked every few minutes. Not fun. It was a storm that came up within, literally, minutes when we were close to our destination. I might not do it again even that close and just run with it to a different destination.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
on the last day of my cruise with my friends down there a couple of years ago we got hit by one of those storms coming back to fairhope that afternoon ....we were motoring back with the jib out ....the wind hit us hard before we expected it and rolled the boat over to port side very fast .....i was in the cockpit with the other two and when it hit... it scared the crap out of me so much so i was looking for higher ground on the boat.....then i started trying to furl the jib but to no avail....the damn thing was under so much pressure it would not budge...we finally got the boat headed in a controllable direction so we could through the sheet loose and let it blow and flop in the wind ..then and only then could we furl the jib...this was on a 35 ft 15000 lbs boat ...i thought the wind was going to break the forestay before we could relieve the pressure...but we got it furled up and under motor power ...then we started hobby horsing in the waves...and now we had a fuel tank that was starting to give us fuel flow problems....i can assure you this is not a fun event...some how we managed to get back in under duress from the wind, waves, and rain to the pier and dock......so when all was said and done my friends and i agreed...that this was a great example of what not to do when you see a storm blowing your way ....and like saturday morning it was a very nice and calm mild windy day when we started back to home port from anchoring out at fort morgan the night before......we were lucky that day ...not like the people that are missing today and the people that lost their lives....as far as passing judgement even with my past experience described above i will not do that because one never knows what really happened saturday to these people and how they reacted and all the investigating in the world will not expose the event to its fullest ...it will only bring some educated speculation ......

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
As I watched the video, the first thing I asked was where are the life jackets. They waited forever, well into the storm before the life jackets appeared. Then seeing what they had, made me wonder even more. I realize those are made to roll you over if you are knocked unconscious, but they also looked so small, that they would come off without too much trouble. When I'm sailing in anything but the small local lake, I'm always wearing a life vest, with a zipper front. Much more comfortable and no chance of it coming off. They hold you upright with your head and shoulders out of the water. They also supply some level of warmth and padded protection if you get thrown against part of the boat.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If I had the power, money, and ability of Tony Stark I'd make some kind satellite signal that can be picked up anywhere at sea by any bluetooth/wi fi/cell data or whatever signal to bounce real time doppler radar so any sailor can have that info on whatever screen they have; cell phone, tablet or whatever... And I'd make it free as a safety of navigation issue!
Once again, it isn't technology that will save lives in these situations; it is knowledge. Never mind there WERE strong thunderstorm warnings being broadcast, so another form of warning would probably been ignored, too. I don't understand why folks couldn't see this stuff coming? Is Mobile Bay surrounded by buildings so tall one cannot see a thunderstorm approaching?
Everyone who sails the Gulf states, Florida and the mid-Atlantic states knows the danger of afternoon thunderstorms, period. Were these sailors just ignoring the warnings and cloud formations to win a race?
In Charleston we took a leading edge gust of well over 70 knots, but guess what? We had all sails down and furled BEFORE it hit us, because we saw it coming; it was big, black and mean looking.
Technology is not going to save lives, if people choose to ignore warnings and the things they can see. The captain of a 22 footer has the same responsibility as one on a cruise ship; to care for his passengers, crew and vessel. Just because you don't cross oceans on your boat, doesn't mean you shouldn't be every bit as competent, prudent and educated a sailor.

Oct 27, 2013
catalina capri 18 syracuse,ny
storms were forcasted

i believe there were severe storms forcasted before the race according to the news

Nov 24, 2012
As I watched the video, the first thing I asked was where are the life jackets. They waited forever, well into the storm before the life jackets appeared. Then seeing what they had, made me wonder even more. I realize those are made to roll you over if you are knocked unconscious, but they also looked so small, that they would come off without too much trouble. When I'm sailing in anything but the small local lake, I'm always wearing a life vest, with a zipper front. Much more comfortable and no chance of it coming off. They hold you upright with your head and shoulders out of the water. They also supply some level of warmth and padded protection if you get thrown against part of the boat.
I agree and while this is tragic for the victims and families it (video) is a good learning experience. Done well: windage was reduced - with dropped sails. It appeared that they had good boat speed without sails which provided maneuverability. On the other hand they spent precious moments commenting on the storm approaching. PFD's should have been immediately handed out and harness attached to jack lines - (especially for the helms person who is most exposed) not 9 min later (in the video).

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Once again, it isn't technology that will save lives in these situations; it is knowledge. Never mind there WERE strong thunderstorm warnings being broadcast, so another form of warning would probably been ignored, too. I don't understand why folks couldn't see this stuff coming? Is Mobile Bay surrounded by buildings so tall one cannot see a thunderstorm approaching?
Everyone who sails the Gulf states, Florida and the mid-Atlantic states knows the danger of afternoon thunderstorms, period. Were these sailors just ignoring the warnings and cloud formations to win a race?
In Charleston we took a leading edge gust of well over 70 knots, but guess what? We had all sails down and furled BEFORE it hit us, because we saw it coming; it was big, black and mean looking.
Technology is not going to save lives, if people choose to ignore warnings and the things they can see. The captain of a 22 footer has the same responsibility as one on a cruise ship; to care for his passengers, crew and vessel. Just because you don't cross oceans on your boat, doesn't mean you shouldn't be every bit as competent, prudent and educated a sailor.
Skippers of sailboats in a race where they are seriously trying win are loath to "drop sails" until crossing the finish line; that much I'm certain of--although they'll order a change to a No. 4 and/or a reef; thus, reducing healing & keeping the boat going as flat as possible, etc. You're fodder in those extreme conditions if you are not a highly accomplished racer/sailor with an accomplished crew in a well-found craft. No doubt people could see the storm coming on. But, short of an "announcement" from the high heavens that your boat is about to be struck by a 50+ kt gust within a few seconds, followed by very steep wind chop, I don't have confidence that all "racing sailors" would respond with "good seamanship tactics" to the observable, even imminent, threat. Nevertheless, 50+ kt gusts from the TS of the southeast are not that uncommon; one should expect the possibility, even probability, of encountering one if out in those conditions.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What I thought interesting is they watched as one boat broached twice and they just kept on going. Hmmm...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What I thought interesting is they watched as one boat broached twice and they just kept on going. Hmmm...
Yea.. Thats a tough call. That boat was not really in control of their own situation.. they were along for the ride and happily mostly sorted out when the crap hit. That along with their size and bulk saved them. No-one looked in charge, or ready for the weather. Running lights, mainsail cover, PFDs anyone?? BEST driver on the wheel? Talking aloud with authority with a clear plan WITH contingencies?

I've pulled people out of the water in a squall and it takes an amazing amount of skill and teamwork to pull off. I really doubted that that would have been able to turn back into that to help a small boat, nor help them when/if they managed to get to them.

As other said, sometime best to roll on and not make matters worse.

Laine

Jan 22, 2008
2 423 Kemah, TX
Safety

Link to a video taken aboard one of the boats. Been there, NOT fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJF7i5z9lQ4
So sorry about the tragedies that occurred in what should be just a fun sailing race. Watching the video gave me chills, since we've had a sudden storm that was not forecast and had to ride it out. We're done the Harvest Moon Regatta from Galveston to Port Aransas (150 mi). Lakewood Yacht Club (organizer) requires jack lines, life vests and life raft on board. I was amazed that the video boaters didn't think of putting on life jackets until well into the storm and the woman at the helm should've had well-treaded shoes instead of being barefoot. But she sure handled the helm well!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
A few notes on the forecast and the weather.

- This was not a "freak" storm. In fact, such storms are common on the Gulf coast. See the write-ups of experiences earlier in this thread.

- The Saturday storms were forecasted earlier in the week. On Friday the forecast for Saturday was for "strong thunderstorms, some could be severe". On Saturday morning, a look at any of the internet weather radar depictions showed cells building in the Gulf and moving to the northeast. It thunder-stormed hard in Texas and Louisiana on Friday. Here on the central Gulf coast, the weather typically moves west to east, especially as the spring storms come through. Saturday morning the forecast was for severe thunderstorms in the afternoon. In short, the race organizers and all the skippers knew, or should have known, there was a high probability of severe weather in the afternoon on Mobile Bay. There was plenty of warning.
- Severe storm watches and then warnings were broadcast by the National Weather Service starting in early afternoon. Everyone with a radio in the fleet should have known. The approach of the storm was clearly visible (look at the video), there was nothing to block line of sight.
- It appears to me the issue was one of believing the forecast. The weather on Mobile Bay was beautiful Saturday morning. There were over 100 boats gathered for a popular annual event. If you came from a distance to participate, it would have been hard to stand down. That being said, all the warning signs were there - One just had but to heed them.

As stated earlier in this thread, I was planning to sail in Choctawhatchee Bay on Saturday. The forecast put me off. I value my life and my boat more than a few hours of enjoyment before it all hits the fan.

The Gulf Coast can lure almost anyone into a false sense of security. The water is warm. The water temp doesn't go below 60 in the winter and is above 80 from 1 Jun to 1 Nov. The winds are moderate, typically 10 to 15 knots or less. It is atypical to have sustained winds above 20 knots. It happens, but it just isn't "normal". There is plenty of sunshine and blue sky. It is unusual to have the grey skies of of the northeast or northwest. It clouds up, rains, and then the sun comes out. It is hot and humid in the summer. Dehydration and heat exhaustion need be guarded against. The need for heavy weather foulies - not so much. The tide goes up and down maybe 1.5 feet each way. Most docks are fixed, not floating. It is easy sailing (even I can do it!). Hence the lack of harnesses, life jackets, jack lines, etc. It really is paradise, except for the afternoon thunderstorms and the occasional hurricane. Tie the boat up at the dock for the thunderstorms and anchor the boat in a hurricane hole for the hurricanes.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A few notes on the forecast and the weather.

- This was not a "freak" storm. In fact, such storms are common on the Gulf coast. See the write-ups of experiences earlier in this thread.

- The Saturday storms were forecasted earlier in the week. On Friday the forecast for Saturday was for "strong thunderstorms, some could be severe". On Saturday morning, a look at any of the internet weather radar depictions showed cells building in the Gulf and moving to the northeast. It thunder-stormed hard in Texas and Louisiana the day prior. Here on the central Gulf coast, the weather typically moves west to east, especially as the spring storms come through. Saturday morning the forecast was for severe thunderstorms in the afternoon. In short, the race organizers and all the skippers knew, or should have known there was a high probability of severe weather in the afternoon on Mobile Bay. There was plenty of warning.
- Severe storm watches and then warnings were broadcast by the National Weather Service starting in early afternoon. Everyone with a radio in the fleet should have known. The approach of the storm was clearly visible, there was nothing to block line of sight.
- It appears to me the issue was one of believing the forecast. The weather on Mobile Bay was beautiful Saturday morning. There were over 100 boats gathered for a popular annual event. If you came from a distance to participate, it would have been hard to stand down. That being said, all the warning signs were there - One just had but to heed them.

As stated earlier in this thread, I was planning to sail in Choctawhatchee Bay on Saturday. The forecast put me off. I value my life and my boat more than a few hours of enjoyment before it all hits the fan.
I've served as the PRO [Principal Race Officer] for many races in Southern California, as well as for several in Tampa Bay. MANY entrants to a race checking in w/the Committee Boat evidently have not read the Sailing Instructions, or even have a copy with them. Many do not know their start time if there are multiple starts, their class flag designation, or even what class they are sailing in. Some appear to want all of this [and sometimes more] explained to them while sailing by the Committee boat. I'm not even sure how they know to check in, unless that's just so standard that everyone eventually comes to know that much about it. So--it's only a short step from that to not even checking out the weather forecast either.

Also, Race Committees rarely [if ever?] cancel races based on weather reports and forecasts. If one is cancelled it has more to do with the safety of the Committee boat and Race Committee being out there to begin with, or if the CONDITIONS AT THE START are deemed unsafe to proceed to start the race [such as > 25 kt wind, etc.]. Although, one might see this flag hoisted--but how many would know its meaning?

As said earlier, it's the individual skipper's call as whether or not to race. If the Race Committee is out there and no one shows up to race--then we all go home; that's it.

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
As a 20 year Navy guy, I guess I am programmed into thinking about safety first. Of course I feel horrible for the victims, but I still wonder why people think it is OK to sail without life jackets.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
this same frontal system brought 111 mph winds through jefferson parish louisiana and BLEW train over on hjlong bridge and its containers into ponchartrain.
the regatta was very very lucky not to have experienced more than the 60 kts that was recorded in alabama.
now.
there is no pfd that will stand up to 111 kts winds. hell , people cannot stand up in that. as it was pfds were being BLOWN OFF the sailors
i think that pfds were moot at that point.
those sailors had more on their plates than pfds could begin to handle.
holysheetswotaride.