Islander 28 Portlight

PeteOC

Apr 18, 2015
Islander 28' Sloop East Greenwich
Greetings all. I am a newcomer to this site. I sail a 1984 islander 28 out of Greenwich Cove in Rhode Island. I am hoping that someone out there will know the manufacturer, the dimensions, and or a supplier for the forward port lights. The lights on "tir na nOg" leak and are beyond repair. The boat name is from a Gaelic myth. tir na nOg is pronounced cheer na nOke. It is the land of the forever young and is where Niamh (Ne-ev) takes her favorite mortal Oisin (weesin) on her flying horse over the seas. So the Islander is tir na nOg and the tender is Niamh. So I guess that makes me mortal and the boat keeps me young. It works for me.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I am hoping that someone out there will know the manufacturer, the dimensions, and or a supplier for the forward port lights.
Welcome to the site.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information on replacing portlights and hatchlights on any boat can be found in the SBO archives under the SEARCH menu (at the very top in dark blue). If you don't find what you want there, it DOESN'T exist anywhere.

Prepare to be overwhelmed :eek:.

PeteOC

Apr 18, 2015
Welcome to the site.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information on replacing portlights and hatchlights on any boat can be found in the SBO archives under the SEARCH menu (at the very top in dark blue). If you don't find what you want there, it DOESN'T exist anywhere.

Prepare to be overwhelmed :eek:.
Thanks Raplh. Those paths have been explored and you are right there is way to much info, more than nine page's in fact and most have nothing to do with the subject of the search. The searches entered "Islander Port lights" and "port lights returned zero responses. Perhaps there is some error in my search. I'll try again. The inquiry was an attempt to streamline the process by contacting someone who may already have found s solution.

Jan 4, 2006
The searches entered "Islander Port lights" and "port lights returned zero responses. Perhaps there is some error in my search.
Try using "portlights" and get 686 returns.

The terminology is often loosely used with portlights, deadlights, and windows, referring to unframed acrylic windows while ports and hatches often refer to the framed openings.

The type of boat is unimportant, it's the process you're after. It's in there, you just have to ferret it out.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Try the search term "replacing ports" or "port replacement."

Also, go to http://www.hunterowners.com and navigate to Boat Info -> Owner Mods. Search there for the same terms -- there's a fantastic post with detailed instructions and illustrations.

PeteOC

Apr 18, 2015
Portlight Replacement

Try the search term "replacing ports" or "port replacement."

Also, go to http://www.hunterowners.com and navigate to Boat Info -> Owner Mods. Search there for the same terms -- there's a fantastic post with detailed instructions and illustrations.
Thanks Ralph, found the information you referred to and bookmarked it for reference. With a tight retiree's budget this job may have to be put off for awhile. Hopefully an application of GE Silicone II will do the trick in the meantime.

Happy Sails to you.
Pete

Jan 4, 2006
With a tight retiree's budget this job may have to be put off for awhile.
Pete,

Take a look at my description for removing and replacing the 795 edge beading around the hatchlight.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1202394&highlight=

This represents an $8.00 investment in a tube of Dow Corning 795. I know, I know .......... it's not a permanent repair. I'll do it properly when I get the time.

The first repair job (replaced all of the edge beading) was done six years ago and held up to this last winter when I got another very small leak during heavy and prolonged rain. This time I only did the port side of the window as shown.

Briefly looking at the problem, I've got to wonder if the leak was not originating at the screw hole near the leak. As the window is curved, Hunter installed permanent screws in oversized holes to ensure a very long (no stress) cure time with the added strength of the screws. Good idea, yes, but with differential thermal expansion and general cabin flexing, I've got to wonder if the screws working back and forth in the holes are the SOURCE of the leak. Of course, this means the rest of the 795 adhesion under the acrylic is all shot to he[[ in order to allow the water to further progress.

Just GOT to replace the entire window and soon.

PeteOC

Apr 18, 2015
My Bad Phil, Response should have read; Thanks PHIL, found the information you referred to and bookmarked it for reference. With a tight retiree's budget this job may have to be put off for awhile. Hopefully an application of GE Silicone II will do the trick in the meantime.

Happy Sails to you.
Pete

Katica

Jun 1, 2010
Islander Bahama 30 Elk Rapids, MI
The deadlights in the main cabin and the front hatch were originally made by Mark Plastics. I bought replacements a few years ago from him. I don't know if they would have the opening ports, but its worth a phone call. If he didn't make these, he'll probably know who did.

Mark Plastics (951) 735-7705

PeteOC

Apr 18, 2015
Thanks for the input Katica. I'll send an email to see what they know. The key issue will be the price. But if they can identify a source for the port lights I can do some planning and budgeting.