Yamaha 33 windlass

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
If anyone has an electric windlass installed on their Yamaha 33 could you please describe the model and brand?

We are considering either a Lofran's Dorado 500 watt with all 1/4 inch chain (300 feet) or a Dorado 700 watt. The Dorado Windlass is a horizontal windlass. We have a maximum depth of chain locker of 16 inches but the actual locker is quite large. I currently have 33 feet 5/16 chain and 250 feet 5/8 double braid, a manual windlass on a quick release platform and a Kellet in the anchor locker. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick B

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2015
Yamaha 33 Mk II tall rig Sidney, BC
Hi there. Were you ever able to sort out the electric windlass for your 33? We also have a Yamaha 33 and I'd like to install an electric windlass as well as I'm getting any younger. Right now we have 50' of chain (and quite heavy at that, although I forget the exact size) and 200' of rode, with the original Yamaha Danforth-type anchor, all pulled up by hand! It's getting hard....

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Hi there. Were you ever able to sort out the electric windlass for your 33? We also have a Yamaha 33 and I'd like to install an electric windlass as well as I'm getting any younger. Right now we have 50' of chain (and quite heavy at that, although I forget the exact size) and 200' of rode, with the original Yamaha Danforth-type anchor, all pulled up by hand! It's getting hard....
I have decided to go with 1/4 inch high test chain and no nylon. We need 300 feet for our club and I think this will be about 240 pounds. I am considering two possible windlasses. A Lofrans Dorado and a Maxwell HRC 6. They are both horizontal windlasses but the Lofrans has an underdeck motor. I have a manual Lofrans windlass that I bought used for $100 that I use if its deep (50+feet) as we have 33 feet of heavy chain. I can only use the windlass for the rope part but it helps. I made a quick release setup for the manual windlass and the rails (1/4 inch 6061 angle aluminium) I intend to use for the electric windlass. I might possibly use less chain and have 100 feet of rode but I don't think 1/2 inch is strong enough (working load about 1660 pounds) if I need to actually use a lot of scope. I believe the 33 will take this weight forward as the original hull had a 12hp motor up forward. Getting rid of the manual windlass and 250 of wet 5/8 rope with 33 feet 5/16 chain should help! We have a 15Kg Bruce and have been using the current arrangement for 6 years. I'm really feeling now trying to pull the anchor up.

The reason I decided to go with a horizontal windlass is the lack of depth in the anchor locker. I intend to cut the lid through the middle and secure the forward part with a plinth for the windlass mounted in a cutout in the lid. Hoping my skills are up to it so it doesn't look like a butcher job!

Haven't bought the windlass yet. Next couple of weeks. If it goes well I might try to post some pictures. If not I'll try to post some anyhow!

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
went to Europe instead

Oops. Never bought the windlass. Took the famiy on a six week cycle trip down the Rhine instead. Going to cut most of my 5/16 chain off. Just try going with 12 feet instead of 33. With my 33 lb Bruce I figure I"ll be left with 50lbs including shackles instead of 85 lbs. Getting old.

Jun 11, 2016
Yamaha 33, tall rig Victoria, BC

dezeen

Dec 27, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
Here are my bow anchor windlass - Lofrans Project 1000 and my kedge anchor windlass Quick Crystal pics.

The chain for the bow anchor windlass goes down a large and long SS pipe under the V-Berth where there is also a whale pump that pumps out water where the fuel tank was and is now the chain locker. The boat has two newer custom 90L tanks under each settee. 70m 8mm chain.
bow anchor windlass.jpg
kedge anchor windlass.jpg

The chain for the kedge anchor windlass goes down a short and smaller SS pipe and a tray into the cordoned off aft section of the cockpit locker. 40m 8mm chain.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2015
Lofrans SX1 with 250' of 1/4" HT chain, currently with the standard Yamaha danforth-type anchor and bow roller. The motor for this model of windlass is in a waterproof housing. Up and down foot switches are out of view to the left of this photo. Due to the standard anchor and roller, I have to stow the anchor on the roller by hand. I also have to knock the pile of chain over a few times as it cascades into the locker. But it's night and day compared to hauling chain and rode up by hand.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I see you have upgraded your windlass, anchor and rode. That should be a good feature for the coming season.

Way to dive in to the archives and share your improvements over 2015.

Mar 22, 2015
I hate to rush into things, so I took seven years to figure it out!
But hopefully anyone - like me - who searches for "yamaha 33 windlass" on Google now has a recent solution.