Jacklines and tethers

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
I have been a day sailor for several years and now I am preparing for longer journeys beyond the city lights and the ability to be in port before a storm hits or heavy weather arrives. I am just wondering if others have made their own jack lines and tethers? I seem to have acquired a surplus of snap shackles over time and could put them to better use than setting in my parts box. The obvious issues of making ones own lines are sufficiently strong webbing and appropriate stitching.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Mark, I have 5 PFDs with built-in harnesses as well as tethers to go with them. I had the previous owner make webbing jacklines that I put out when going off shore. Recommend you take a look at the tethers carried by WM and see if you're up to the task of sewing your own tethers.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I have always thought it would be better to run it down the center of the boat so that if you lose your footing the tether with its slack will keep you on the deck and not let you go over the safety lines.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I have been pondering this modification to the boat, myself. I wasn't concerned coming down the bay in May, but solo operation at night or offshore begs for this safety upgrade. I would like to hear what accommodation others have done. As a start, I will be tying myself to the mast if conditions are worrisome so I don't get left behind. A poor solution, since accidents happen when you are not in the least worried. The amateur rig could kill me, worse than losing a boat.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Mar 5, 2013
Hunter 45CC Lake Erie, Sandusky Bay
I am also very interested in this safety gear. As mentioned above, I have wondered about mounting a jack line down the centerline instead of the sides. Has this been done with good success? Drawbacks? I am also interested in it being easy, as possible, to install as I don't want it mounted all the time. Thank in advance for all your thoughts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Do not use common 'snap shackles' on tether lines !!!!!!!! They have the tendency to 'unlock' when the shackle becomes 'wrapped' by the tether. The 'wrapping' can cause the shackle to open unexpectedly.

Only use 'locking' carabiners, or specialty double-action / locking 'safety shackles' designed especially for tethers. http://marine.wichard.com/fiche-A|WICHARD|7006-0203010201000000-ME.html
Can't be stressed enough.

Snap shackles are actually one of the most dangerous "connectors" known to man, and I've removed them ALL from my boat.

Years ago, before I knew better, I used one to haul myself up my C25 mast in a bosun's chair. After working a bit, I looked at the shackle, and it was completely OPEN!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The ONLY thing keeping me up there was the friction of my legs around the mast!!!

Almost before I could tell my crew below that I needed help, I realized there was nothing they could do to help, so I just slid down the mast to the boom.

Good thing it was "only" a 25 foot boat, but it was still pretty "high up there" for me.

Of course we all now know better and use the correct knots/carabiners/D shackles and backup halyards, but that significant moment stays with me.

Snap shackles might be good for spinnakers, but I can't think of any other valid use for them on a boat.

Centerline jacklines for tethers: I'm not sure I understand this concept, since many of us with dodgers really can't envision the routing. I use one on the starboard side, by habit because years ago reefing was done on that side. We now have double line reefing from the cockpit, but I still use one jackline.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jacklines should be designed/placed to help keep you on the boat.

They should end BEFORE the cockpit, and be as inboard as possible. In the cockpit, one or two D-rings on the floor should anchor the cockpit crew if needed. Like in BLUE. RED is typical and not good.

Mount the D-rings as needed and strap the jacklines on. Mooring horns are a poor substitute.

If you slip, you do NOT want to be dragged along behind the boat. Sure drowning.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Any suggestions on DIY jacklines and teathers?
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE YOUR OWN TETHERS! Just like a PFD, these are specialized products with nuances. Same thing with harness. And waist belt type harnesses will only snap your back in half if you fall the wrong way. You need properly designed and sized harnesses (that are comfortable to wear, so one doesn't balk at wearing it simply because it is uncomfortable). Spend the $$ on these critical components. (I'm a DIY guy, but draw the line with certain critical things). Several companies make jack line kits. I have Wichard Lyfsafe and like them a lot. If you do make your own jack lines that will lie on a deck or cabin top, use flat webbing. It won't roll under foot like rope will.

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
Jacklines should be designed/placed to help keep you on the boat. They should end BEFORE the cockpit, and be as inboard as possible. In the cockpit, one or two D-rings on the floor should anchor the cockpit crew if needed. Like in BLUE. RED is typical and not good. Mount the D-rings as needed and strap the jacklines on. Mooring horns are a poor substitute. If you slip, you do NOT want to be dragged along behind the boat. Sure drowning.
Either way you go (even RED), one should always be attached to the windward jack line. In this way you'll be on the high side of a heeling boat. You're likely too fall toward the center of the boat then, or reach the end of the tether length before possibly going over the rail (if you have to reach something on the lee side).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Either way you go (even RED), one should always be attached to the windward jack line. In this way you'll be on the high side of a heeling boat. You're likely too fall toward the center of the boat then, or reach the end of the tether length before possibly going over the rail (if you have to reach something on the lee side).
That's often the best choice. Once you get a good jackline setup people/boats will develop a protocol based on best practices. Dealing with the mast as you go forward is one example. One model says jacklines very close to the mast let you go either way. Safer but harder is to unclip and re-clip around the mast.

This can open a person up to being unclipped, so the best modern tethers have both a 1 meter and 2 meter clip, so you never have to be unclipped. Like this spinlock.

Note that this brand new tether is luggage-tagged to your harness/deckvest. This is current thinking, because the snap shackles that are often used can open open by them selves, and worse, CANNOT be opened by a person when under the huge load of being dragged in the water. The best chance you would have is to cut your self free. Most ocean vest/harness now include an integrated line cutter for this exact purpose.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We got our tethers and harnesses from a marine consignment store. Brand new in the original package for $20-40 each. Not worth the diy.

May 20, 2004
Hunter MH 40 Noank, CT
Great advice here. I bought a tether several years ago that I keep on the boat. I've never had jacklines, but figured I'd clip into something inboard if possible if I needed to- even when statying in the cockpit. My tether has a snap shackle and not a locker. I will replace the tether.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...My tether has a snap shackle and not a locker. I will replace the tether.
The anti-snap shackle zeal is actually a minority opinion. In fact, some have equal zeal against lockers on the harness end (the jackline end should lock). Additionally, we have a nomenclature problem; I'm pretty sure some posters think a snap shackle is a spinnaker shackle, and some think it is non-locking carabiner. Most tethers come with releasable snaps (like a spin shackle) on the harness end because many sailors like it that way. I have my own thoughts, but...

Research this before making a decision. If they are from a reputable maker, they may be fine as they are.

----

The funny thing is that I could state a popular counter point to more than half of the adamant opinions voiced; much depends on what fits your boat.

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
I am appreciating all of the discussion, very good feedback on what is an important topic and I hope there is more. I am curious if anyone knows what the USN and Coast Guard recommends and uses for safety lines.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Every sailor on deck after dark should be tethered. Why would you trust your life to a DIY tether?