OpenCPN and Google Earth...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Some of you probably know that in Florida we used SeaClear on the ship's computer to do all of our navigation with and loved it. It was connect always also to a handheld Garmin in the cockpit with the day's waypoints downloaded to it. I like SeaClear but development on it is kind of dead so I'll keep it on the computer but I'm switch to OpenCPN as a lot of things are being added to it all the time and it is also free and uses all the free NOAA charts.

One of the additions a while back was AIS input so you can see AIS equipped boats on the screen if you have an AIS receiver (I do). Another thing that has been there for a while that I never tried is that you can overlay a Google Earth image on the chart of your current position and drag and size it to whatever size you want.

Above I moved to a favorite key in Florida's 10,000 Islands and you can see that OpenCPN also moved Google Earth there. This is really nice for seeing features like the nice beaches there that you can't see on a NOAA chart. You can zoom the Google Earth image in or out or move it but if you do nothing as the boat moves or if you move the chart OpenCPM will move Google Earth along with you.

Now you do have to be connected to the internet for this to work. I bought a Walmart mobile Trackphone Hotspot to use on the road and on the boat so a lot of places if I want to connect this should work but wouldn't work at that location in the 10,000 Islands as there is no cell service there. What OpenCPN does allow you to do is go to a location when you do have internet and then save a screen shot of that location to be viewed later.

I think I'm really going to like this as you can check out anchorages and such before arriving at them to see if they are remote or maybe in someone's front yard and it will be great in just being able to see a place before you get there,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
That is a nice marriage between the two programs. Looking at the chart, there is some awfully shallow water there. :eek:

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
And there is a program that makes the integration even easier, GE2KAP. Basically, the program adds a plug-in to Open CPN and lines up the Google Earth image with the map. Really interesting.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
And there is a program that makes the integration even easier, GE2KAP. Basically, the program adds a plug-in to Open CPN and lines up the Google Earth image with the map. Really interesting.
Yep that is what I'm using for the post above. Guess I didn't word that part good enough :redface:. I didn't do the overlay it is automatic as you stated using the plug-in and you can turn it on or off with just a mouse click,

Sumner

============================
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]