This old winch

Nov 26, 2014
Bristol 23' Miami
Help I just got a 1964 Bristol 22' Caravel and after sailing it 130 nm home the port winch seized...
I want to take it apart to clean it and never had a winch like this on my Coranado 27'

This winch uses the "L" looking wench handles (no star)
I believe made by Merriman
How do I open them?

Thank you !

Mike

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Bristol Mike,

Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to the SBO site and forums.

I used google and typed Merriman winches forum. There were several choices of discussions and at least one included pictures.

Best Wishes on your project. By the way, sailing an unfamiliar boat 130 nm must constitute a bit of courage especially with the gusty winds we have experienced lately.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Best Wishes on your project. By the way, sailing an unfamiliar boat 130 nm must constitute a bit of courage especially with the gusty winds we have experienced lately.
Captain Ron comes to mind here and i bet it was an interesting ride ...congratulations on your trip

Nov 26, 2014
Bristol 23' Miami
Captain Ron comes to mind here and i bet it was an interesting ride ...congratulations on your trip
The boat was out of town I'm a school teacher and had two days off...

As woody has stated "Smooth sea's does not a skillful sailor make."

: )

Thank you, happy thanks giving

Nov 26, 2014
Bristol 23' Miami
oil?

I figured out how to get them off... will any light oil do?

thanks again

Mike

Hello Bristol Mike,

Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to the SBO site and forums.

I used google and typed Merriman winches forum. There were several choices of discussions and at least one included pictures.

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
Look for videos online on how to take them apart. It was very helpful to me.