Refinishing White Counters

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 28 Mayo, MD
Hello, All,
I find myself responsible for redoing some needed work on our 28' O'day. One of the things that has been driving me nuts is the poor condition of the white countertops. What product do I use to restore these? I'm looking for something to wipe/paint/spray on rather than replacing the boards themselves.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
counter tops take a beating... and it will never change.

there is nothing you can paint on them that will withstand the abuse of normal use.

the countertop material is probably something very similar to, if not exactly, formica... its a plastic/fiberglass type of material and has a reasonably hard, heat resistant surface, and short of replacing the formica, or doing an overlay, there isnt much you can do....

paint wont stick to it very well and if you were even to try that, about the first time you either spill hot coffee on it, or definitly set a warm coffee pot on it, it will look many time worse than you think it does now.
and then the cleanup from that will be a bad experience.

and doing either an overlay or taking up the old and replacing it with new is not really a tough job... it takes a bit of time and patience, but it sure looks nice when your done.

a photo of what your working with would be nice....

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Replace the Formica, its not that hard to do. Go to Home Depot and buy what you need and ask for the pamphlet on how to do it. Chief

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 28 Mayo, MD
Thanks, all, for the advice. I'll try to post some photos over the next few days. It looks like I'm going the replace route.

Nov 11, 2014
Oday 28 Mayo, MD
Wow what a find. Replacing the Formica is not all that hard to do but THIS sure looks like a worthy alternative!
It's interesting and not bad looking in pictures, but I've never like fake stuff. I don't like Formica for the same reason. I'm leaning at this point toward using birch with a good sealant for durability.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The only problem with this is that it appears that you are relying on the contact paper staying "stuck" forever..... my experience with contact paper is that if yo uwant it to stick forever.... it doesn't! If you want to remove it, it wants to stay forever (or at least leave a sticky residue). <GRIN!> Also, I'd look for a "Table-Top" epoxy coating, specially made for doing just this job in restaurants.

There is always Starboard or other solid-surface type countertop materials (Corian?).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The only problem with this is that it appears that you are relying on the contact paper staying "stuck" forever.....
1. I didn't write it, I found it from a link provided by someone else either here or on another boating forum.

2. It's not the contact paper. If you read it, she covers the whole top with bar top material and then urethane. That paper ain't goin' anywhere. :doh: