More sheaves than i know what to do with.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Currently have my mast down and am working on refitting.

When purchased the boat had 2 halyards, a mainsail and a jib. I have 4 sheaves at the masthead and only 3 holes at base of the mast for halyards.

Should I cut a window and add a second aft halyard or should I just leave well enough alone and go with 3?

Jan 6, 2010
Gar,

I added a new mast crane as mine had cracked. My halyards at the time were external. I cut two slots STBD. side & ran two internal halyards. The main halyard is the only external halyard.

You can cut it yourself or have the yard do it. If DYI, masking tape makes a good surface for drawing your template. For the correct size, check out some boats with internal halyards & copy the cutout length & width.

The good news is that having internals, no more,"Ding, ding, ding" noises or slapping in wind.

CR

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Currently have my mast down and am working on refitting. When purchased the boat had 2 halyards, a mainsail and a jib. I have 4 sheaves at the masthead and only 3 holes at base of the mast for halyards. Should I cut a window and add a second aft halyard or should I just leave well enough alone and go with 3?
originally the boat came with only two external halyards. The main went up to one of the rear sheaves then to the forward sheave and down the outside of front of the mast. The jib halyard did the same. Up to the front sheave then to the back sheave and down outside the mast to the port side mast winch. When going to internal halyards you eliminate the use of two sheaves or add another halyard. That's why you have 3 exits. I added a topping lift strong enough to become a second main halyard if needed. I also added a sheave farther down for a stay sail halyard. I have 5 exits. Turning blocks at the base of the mast and organizer bringing everything back to winches and clutches on the cabin top.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Thanks, that is great information.

I do like the topping lift idea as mine is as swaged on cable that is adjusted on the side of the boom.

I also have a vacant exit block mid mast just under the steaming light, would that be a staysail halyard? Possibly this was my third exit at the mast base was for.

Also I have a spinnaker bale out forward of the forestay. My thought is to rig my 2nd forward halyard to this but I worry about chafing on the forestay or flex furler. Do I just keep this line under a bit of tension and anchor it to the bow pulpit?

Don't have a spinnaker or pole but would like to go that direction.

Jan 6, 2010
gAR,

I like Cayennita,

Have an extra block for running a club sail, mine however is above the spreaders. If you have a block below the spreaders, this may be for a storm sail that was intended. I would assume If having extra sails, the luff dimension will tell you why it is there.

There are club sails & they're are storm jibs. If below the spreaders, I would assume this was for a storm jib.

CR