Two Quick Electrical Projects Knocked Out this Weekend

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This weekend I had a chance to jump on a couple of quicker electrical projects.
The first was installing the Smart Plug system. After reading about several boat fires caused by running high loads (i.e. heaters) on the old twist and lock plugs and the typically well done article from Maine Sail/Compass Marine I was terrified. It was time for this upgrade. I ordered the refit kit from Amazon Prime for about $170.

The project was barely a cup of coffee long.

Here are the videos on the Smart Plug website that are very easy to follow. And the written direction they provided were very easy to follow. They even had one of the coolest things I have seen integrated into directions. To scale wires so you could get the sizing perfect without using a ruler.

The boat side of the project took about 25 minutes. Could have been shorter but I found some corrosion on the leads that were hooked up to the old plug so I cut about an inch off and restriped the wires to get rid of it.

The plug side took a little more time but the total project was finished in an hour and a half.

You can definitely see and feel the upgrades to this system over the standard twist and lock.

The other project I worked on was something that has been on the list for 4 years. Smitty came with a mast head TV antenna. It’s a nice powered, HD antenna but it has never worked right. A couple of weeks ago we were in Gloucester and the weather wasn’t looking great. I tried to catch the weather but the cheap rabbit ears we have been using couldn’t get any local channels. So I decided to tackle this project plus installing a 12 volt outlet for the TV so we could use it at anchor if we wanted. As usual with boat wiring it came down to bad connections done by the previous owner.

I cut those out and replaced all the power and antenna connections and the system now works great. We have about 40 channels, most of them in HD. We were able to watch the Patriots game on the boat yesterday in a nice, clear picture.

While doing this work I decided to check out the wiring for the wind instrument and radar. Looks like I have another project to add to the list.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Nice job Jesse,

I was down your way Sunday. Looked for your boat and thought about giving you a shout.

I'm not a fan of those Euro style terminal boards. I tried using one in my Navpod. I noticed a lot of rust after a few seasons. I had to split my radar cable in order to snake it down the pedestal guard. I used a dry box and 2 sets of terminal strips. It was fun fabricating the guts but I feel much safer.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Nice job Jesse, I was down your way Sunday. Looked for your boat and thought about giving you a shout. I'm not a fan of those Euro style terminal boards. I tried using one in my Navpod. I noticed a lot of rust after a few seasons. I had to split my radar cable in order to snake it down the pedestal guard. I used a dry box and 2 sets of terminal strips. It was fun fabricating the guts but I feel much safer.
You should have stopped by and had a beer.

That's exactly what I have in mind for a fix. I don't like the European style terminal strips either.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Jesse, I see that you were checking the wind instrument wiring, it looks like it is in one of the bilges? Where is this located? The reason I'm asking is my anchor light is not working, I do not have power at the top of the mast, I am assuming that there is a connection somewhere between the CB and the light.....probably in the same area as the wind connections? I was told by one of our local 'know-it-alls' that the connections are inside the mast and I will have to access the connections next time I drop the mast, something I wasn't going to do for a couple more years. Thanks for your pictures above, I like your wiring methods.

Dave

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse, I see that you were checking the wind instrument wiring, it looks like it is in one of the bilges? Where is this located? The reason I'm asking is my anchor light is not working, I do not have power at the top of the mast, I am assuming that there is a connection somewhere between the CB and the light.....probably in the same area as the wind connections? I was told by one of our local 'know-it-alls' that the connections are inside the mast and I will have to access the connections next time I drop the mast, something I wasn't going to do for a couple more years. Thanks for your pictures above, I like your wiring methods.

Dave
I am having a similar issue with my anchor light and I think your local "know-it-all" might be right. Here is a pic of the mast step and you can see some connections there and I am guessing that's for the anchor, steaming and deck lights. I bet that cheap trailer hitch harness is the anchor light and the source of both our problems.

Mine will turn on and then trip the breaker after about 5 seconds. What does yours do?

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
There is no power at the top of the mast, but power at the CB. Guess I will lift the mast this fall and deal with this connector. Having an electrical background, I may source a different style connector, if I do I'll post pictures and details. Maybe you have a pinched wire, or chafing somewhere in the circuit.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Dave,

If you find some good sealing, (almost Packard Electric Style) for small gage wire let us know please. Reason I ask is that, when you pull the mast all the wind, TV, and VHF wires have to be disconnected in the bilge and pulled up through that little conduit. (On my boat at least the lighting is the only wire that stays in place and has a connector inside the mast. I cringe at the damage done to the little wires and insulation every time they are fished through, pulled through, it is a very tight fit. I'd like to cold pot all the connections in the bilge, and just have connectors at the mast base. I even hear some lucky owners have a little access hole and cover where they can fish out the connector and connect / disconnect with the mast in place. Not sure what damage could come to taking a hole saw and making my own.

Russ
s/v Long Story

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Dave,

If you find some good sealing, (almost Packard Electric Style) for small gage wire let us know please. Reason I ask is that, when you pull the mast all the wind, TV, and VHF wires have to be disconnected in the bilge and pulled up through that little conduit. (On my boat at least the lighting is the only wire that stays in place and has a connector inside the mast. I cringe at the damage done to the little wires and insulation every time they are fished through, pulled through, it is a very tight fit. I'd like to cold pot all the connections in the bilge, and just have connectors at the mast base. I even hear some lucky owners have a little access hole and cover where they can fish out the connector and connect / disconnect with the mast in place. Not sure what damage could come to taking a hole saw and making my own.

Russ
s/v Long Story
I wonder about the access door approach. That could be nice and a way to fix problems easier while cruising. I have a friend of a friend that works for Hall Spars, I might try to reach out to her.

As far as how I plan to fix the wiring in the bilge. I am going to do something like what Maine Sail and Bob have. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/terminating_small_wires

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Jesse, did you get a chance to contact your friend at Hall Spars? The general thought amongst fellow boaters at our club is 'do not cut an access hole into the mast!'. But I have seen them, and I am sure if it was done properly would not cause structural issues. Too bad this is not a factory addition. I will have to deal with the connections in the mast this fall and would consider an access hole if it is acceptable.

Cheers

dj

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse, did you get a chance to contact your friend at Hall Spars? The general thought amongst fellow boaters at our club is 'do not cut an access hole into the mast!'. But I have seen them, and I am sure if it was done properly would not cause structural issues. Too bad this is not a factory addition. I will have to deal with the connections in the mast this fall and would consider an access hole if it is acceptable.

Cheers

dj
No, she is cruising up in Maine at the moment. Hopefully I will talk to her before they leave for NC in November.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
This weekend I had a chance to jump on a couple of quicker electrical projects.
The first was installing the Smart Plug system. After reading about several boat fires caused by running high loads (i.e. heaters) on the old twist and lock plugs and the typically well done article from Maine Sail/Compass Marine I was terrified. It was time for this upgrade. I ordered the refit kit from Amazon Prime for about $170.

The project was barely a cup of coffee long.

Here are the videos on the Smart Plug website that are very easy to follow. And the written direction they provided were very easy to follow. They even had one of the coolest things I have seen integrated into directions. To scale wires so you could get the sizing perfect without using a ruler.

The boat side of the project took about 25 minutes. Could have been shorter but I found some corrosion on the leads that were hooked up to the old plug so I cut about an inch off and restriped the wires to get rid of it.

The plug side took a little more time but the total project was finished in an hour and a half.

You can definitely see and feel the upgrades to this system over the standard twist and lock.

The other project I worked on was something that has been on the list for 4 years. Smitty came with a mast head TV antenna. It’s a nice powered, HD antenna but it has never worked right. A couple of weeks ago we were in Gloucester and the weather wasn’t looking great. I tried to catch the weather but the cheap rabbit ears we have been using couldn’t get any local channels. So I decided to tackle this project plus installing a 12 volt outlet for the TV so we could use it at anchor if we wanted. As usual with boat wiring it came down to bad connections done by the previous owner.

I cut those out and replaced all the power and antenna connections and the system now works great. We have about 40 channels, most of them in HD. We were able to watch the Patriots game on the boat yesterday in a nice, clear picture.

While doing this work I decided to check out the wiring for the wind instrument and radar. Looks like I have another project to add to the list.
I too bought and installed Smart Plug. Really like concept and easy to
install. Don't need to lean over rail to figure out how to plug in like
old setup. Great instructions.

Clyde Thorington]
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA