Cabin top clutch

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
My main halyard clutch stopped working properly. Pushed handle flush with
cabin top and won't stay there. Moves up part way still locking main sheet
which presents some difficulty when want to drop main in hurry.:)
Anyone else have this problem with any of their clutches? No name on
factory clutch. Inside a gang of clutches so at quick glance can't see how
to remove for repair or replacement. Appreciate any suggestions.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
San Jose, CA

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
On mine if the flush mounted allen head screws at the pivot points are loose they will do that.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I had the same problem. You may have to remove the clutch, depending on which one is causing problems to gain access to the tension adjusting screw. This is the clutch on a 2003. With the handle up you will be able to see the two screws which hold it to the deck (drilled and tapped into plate glassed into deck). I adjusted them all while I was at it, but had to readjust again after a few years.

Attachments

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I had the same problem. You may have to remove the clutch, depending on which one is causing problems to gain access to the tension adjusting screw. This is the clutch on a 2003. With the handle up you will be able to see the two screws which hold it to the deck (drilled and tapped into plate glassed into deck). I adjusted them all while I was at it, but had to readjust again after a few years.

Thanks folks. All good info. Will check it out this weekend. Appreciate
pics.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Paul, I seem to recall some postings a few years ago on the process to replace the factory cleat with the clutch. Do you recall where that is? Maybe it was your post. Seems to me it was not an easy job. Your install looks great.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
On mine if the flush mounted allen head screws at the pivot points are loose they will do that.
That was exactly my problem. Removed clutch tightened just a little two allen head
screws put back in place and works great. Thanks for your suggestion. Hugh help.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
San Jose, CA

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Has anyone ever identified the manufacturer of these rope clutches? Somehow during a race yesterday (18 kts apparent) during a tack our Genoa sheet got under the closed cam arm on the outboard port side clutch and bent/broke the bolt which holds the handle and is used to adjust the tension when open. Looks like a simple repair if I can get a replacement bolt and a couple of the plastic bushings but there are no markings on it.

Edit: it anyone is interested they are Garhauer 11-11A.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Clyde, We had the exact same issue as you did just before we left the boat last weekend.
I fixed it the same as Ted and Val recommend.. That was a good design feature from Catalina by installing them the way they did. No Muss or fuss, An EASY fix!.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Has anyone ever identified the manufacturer of these rope clutches? Somehow during a race yesterday (18 kts apparent) during a tack our Genoa sheet got under the closed cam arm on the outboard port side clutch and bent/broke the bolt which holds the handle and is used to adjust the tension when open. Looks like a simple repair if I can get a replacement bolt and a couple of the plastic bushings but there are no markings on it. Edit: it anyone is interested they are Garhauer 11-11A.

Yes they are Garhauer. They supplied one free when one failed to lock open on release and I couldn't make it work.
What I use for both the traveller and main sheet are the SpinLock PX sheet stoppers. They are amazing!!! Lift the line and they click open. Pull down and they click shut and lock. I did a Mainsheet C310 article on this quite a while ago and they are still in service.
I can operate main sheet and traveller while standing at the wheel. A mess of line in the cockpit but works great for single handing.
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/cleats-1/product.../pxr-cam-cleat
Peter

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
What I use for both the traveller and main sheet are the SpinLock PX sheet stoppers. They are amazing!!! Lift the line and they click open. Pull down and they click shut and lock. I did a Mainsheet C310 article on this quite a while ago and they are still in service.
I can operate main sheet and traveller while standing at the wheel. A mess of line in the cockpit but works great for single handing.
https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/cleats-1/product.../pxr-cam-cleat
Peter[/QUOTE]

Read with interest of your experience with the Spinlock PXR. I looked at them some time ago, but noticed that they don’t accommodate 12 mm lines. Did you have to go down to 10 mm, and if so, did you find the thinner line a disadvantage? Also, how did you fix it to the cabin top as it will not fit existing holes. Would appreciate your comments.

Jan 22, 2008
What I use for both the traveller and main sheet are the SpinLock PX sheet stoppers. They are amazing!!! Lift the line and they click open. Pull down and they click shut and lock. I did a Mainsheet C310 article on this quite a while ago and they are still in service. I can operate main sheet and traveller while standing at the wheel. A mess of line in the cockpit but works great for single handing. https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/categories/cleats-1/product.../pxr-cam-cleat Peter
Read with interest of your experience with the Spinlock PXR. I looked at them some time ago, but noticed that they don’t accommodate 12 mm lines. Did you have to go down to 10 mm, and if so, did you find the thinner line a disadvantage? Also, how did you fix it to the cabin top as it will not fit existing holes. Would appreciate your comments.[/QUOTE]

It was a tight fit but I used; and still am using the original Mainsheet.
There is an embedded aluminum plate in the cabin top. At the time, they didn't make the "replacement" style, so I drilled & tapped new holes and filled the old with 5200 plugs. They now make a model to fit the existing drilling.
I race my boat, but I never use my cabin top winch on the Mainsheet. I ease the traveller to pull in the Mainsheet then pull the traveller back up for trim.
Regards
Peter

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Peter, do you have a part number for the model that fits our hole pattern? Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Peter, do you have a part number for the model that fits our hole pattern? Thanks!
Bob
PXR0810 is the unit which I used; though they were relatively new at the time and they hadn't moved to the R suffix.
I stand corrected on the installation when I looked today. For the Mainsheet which originally had a jamcleat I used one of the existing holes; drilled 1 new one and left a screw in the extra
original hole. For the traveller; Catalina originally mounted cam cleats on the traveller; impossible to work with a dodger. I added new PX0206's outboard of the existing sheet stoppers on the flats section an was able to drill and tap the existing plate.
The Spinlock website covers them quite well and has a template of sorts.
Regards
Peter

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Bob
PXR0810 is the unit which I used; though they were relatively new at the time and they hadn't moved to the R suffix.
I stand corrected on the installation when I looked today. For the Mainsheet which originally had a jamcleat I used one of the existing holes; drilled 1 new one and left a screw in the extra
original hole. For the traveller; Catalina originally mounted cam cleats on the traveller; impossible to work with a dodger. I added new PX0206's outboard of the existing sheet stoppers on the flats section an was able to drill and tap the existing plate.
The Spinlock website covers them quite well and has a template of sorts.
Regards
Peter
Thanks for all your details. Shall think about it once more.