Miscellaneous Furler Questions

May 30, 2014
Catalina 250 southeastern CT
Making progress. Managed to raise the mast. BUT, cannot secure the bottom of the furler assembly to the base of the bow pulpit.
Can the whole furler be lowered so can secure the base, and then raise it as far up as possible.
Other thing I am thinking is to jury rig some hardware to span the gap between furler base and chain plate (?) attachment hole.
Any help out there? Maybe a video?
Tom

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
You need to take the furling drum apart to expose the turn buckle. This should allow you to lengthen the forestay to be able to reach the attachment point. If that is not an option then add a shackle to make up the difference.

May 30, 2014
You need to take the furling drum apart to expose the turn buckle. This should allow you to lengthen the forestay to be able to reach the attachment point. If that is not an option then add a shackle to make up the difference.
The shackle seems the most easy to do.
Yesterday, I finally raised the mast. Slowly beginning to understand the boat. Perhaps should go back and pull the mast a little forward of vertical, try attaching, then let mast settle where it wants too. When boom and main are added it should settle back to almost vertical. Noticed in manual, that mast is to be tuned slightly forward of vertical.

May 30, 2014
The shackle seems the most easy to do.
Yesterday, I finally raised the mast. Slowly beginning to understand the boat. Perhaps should go back and pull the mast a little forward of vertical, try attaching, then let mast settle where it wants too. When boom and main are added it should settle back to almost vertical. Noticed in manual, that mast is to be tuned slightly forward of vertical.
and thank you for your rapid response. Hope to be sailing Long Island sound shortly, with extended trip up Maine coastline via Cape Cod canal, to close to Canadian border. Just my beagle, Leeroy, and I for now.

May 30, 2014
and thank you for your rapid response. Hope to be sailing Long Island sound shortly, with extended trip up Maine coastline via Cape Cod canal, to close to Canadian border. Just my beagle, Leeroy, and I for now.

Pulled the mast a little bit more slightly forward, then added a shackle. All is well, if I can only find the halyard to raise the jib.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just two questions here.

What brand of furler do you have, and do you have any photos of it?

May 30, 2014
Pulled the mast a little bit more slightly forward, then added a shackle. All is well, if I can only find the halyard to raise the jib.
Took some pictures of the "head stay" at about 24 power. Will unload them from camera tomorrow. Also will read what is written on the furler. Then reply again.
Son suggest simply lower the mast an find the end of the halyard that attaches to the sail and pull it to the base. Then mast backup, furler attached, put jib up, and roll it on furler.

Also want to raise the main and get it secured to boom. Then slowly bring it down securing it to the boom, and remove boom for transport. Does this sound about right to you?
Thanks for your able assistance,
tom

Feb 20, 2011
Took some pictures of the "head stay" at about 24 power. Will unload them from camera tomorrow. Also will read what is written on the furler. Then reply again.
Son suggest simply lower the mast an find the end of the halyard that attaches to the sail and pull it to the base. Then mast backup, furler attached, put jib up, and roll it on furler.

Also want to raise the main and get it secured to boom. Then slowly bring it down securing it to the boom, and remove boom for transport. Does this sound about right to you?
Thanks for your able assistance,
tom
That method will work, but if you can properly fold and roll your sail into a sail bag, it should last longer.

Looking forward to the photos.
It'll be helpful to know what brand of furler you're dealing with.

You're welcome!

May 30, 2014
Sorry I am late getting back to you. Took photos and checked some unaccounted for lines. A lightweight blue braided line goes up outside the mast to top of Furler. Think it then goes down inside the furler. Use: wait 'til lower everything. Cannot find other end.
However, found another halyard looking line that runs up inside of mast, exits on forward end of masthead, over a forward-facing pulley, then comes back dow on outside of mast. Going to try to use this to test raise the jib. If it works, will rollup jib and keep it that way when I lower the mast.
Also want to set the boom in place roughly, raise the main and secure it. Get all the lines set, and slowly lower main and fold it back and forth across the boom. Cover and secure sail/boom, remove from mast, secure it out of the way.
Now lower the mast and secure it for travel.
This sound good to you?
tom (anxious sea goer)

Feb 20, 2011
It'll still be helpful to others here to know what brand of furler you're dealing with.

May 30, 2014
Just two questions here.

What brand of furler do you have, and do you have any photos of it?
I tried to find some sort of manufacturers info on the furkler, but not successful. Zoomed on on the masthead and took som photos. Still in camera. Did find a line and used it to successfully raise the jib. It exited the mast on he port side, and went over a pulley at the top front of masthead.
Now for the main.