Bag of water/install transducer

May 8, 2013
Hunter 240 Indianapolis
Sounds like plumbers putty is another viable option! Chief
The best thing I've found for installing a transducer in a boat is called "duck seal". It's sold at Home Depot for about $3 and comes in a bar. It's similar to plumbers putty but is sticky so it will adhere to the hull. I've had it installed in my Hunter 240 for about 2 years and is still going strong. It's used normally outside to seal electrical components.

Here's a link to the HD site. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-Plugs-10-Pack-DS-110/100212441

Best,
Bob

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
Used the bag of water-time for the next step

I spent an hour or so with my Lowrance HDS5 and its sonar transducer yesterday. With the transducer in a plastic bag of water I did find a location that is easy to reach and gave an accurate reading of depth at 7.5 to 10 ft. I checked the depth with a weighted line over the side. So "permanent" installation is now in order, and I appreciate all the alternatives offered in this discussion. Lowrance stresses the importance of using the right epoxy-a hard, non-flexible bond-and specifies an EFI product. I like the idea of plumber's putty instead if it works as well as some of you have said-at least as an interim solution.
Thanks again for the input....