Port Lazarette Lock

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
I did a quick search on the Catalina forums but didn't see a post on this topic. While squeezing between the wheel and the port lazarette both my 5-year-old and I have torn up our legs on the lazarette locking hasp. Does anyone know if there is some type of rubber cover anyone makes to make that event less likely? I was on a club member's 315 over the weekend and they are now recessed, but that wasn't done back in 2001. I'm not sure I'm ready to try and replace all of them...really just looking for a cover.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
There was a thread recently, maybe not Catalina specific, regarding this very subject.

One response I thought was good suggested removal of the hasp, installing a pad eye underneath the laz lid and routing a line from the pad eye to an easily reached cleat in the boat's interior.

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Yeah, I saw that post but that solution doesn't work for me. That lazarette is where all my safety gear is (flares, emergency tiller, emergency lifejackets, manual bilge pump handle, etc.) so I have to be able to open it quickly. And with a 5-year-old and an 8-year-old in the cockpit I can't have lines running across the cockpit.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Well, I took a shot.
It doesn't mean that you need to cleat the locking line while sailing, and the line wouldn't be in the cockpit...

I've got a similar set-up on my little MacGregor, and there's enough friction in the locking line's routing to keep the lid closed in all but a turtling.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
The line as mentioned does not run through the cockpit it runs under the seat and the release is just inside the companion way. It can be easily released from the cockpit.
With a cam cleat it will easily withstand any turtling.

There are also these hasp available on EBay. I bought a couple for the Mac 25 but never used them. They are very well made an smooth. There are no sharp edges.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Heavy-D..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item43c53444c2&vxp=mtr

Good luck.

Attachments

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
The last time we talked about this the thread was called "Hatch latch - save the leg". More then a few owners have been cut on that latch including me so I removed it.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Jesse, That folding wheel is sharp! I bet it makes a difference in move about room!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Jesse, That folding wheel is sharp! I bet it makes a difference in move about room!
It makes a big difference. They aren't cheap though. We looked at them before and found them around $750. We lucked out and Defender had the same wheel that Catalina is putting on the 315 on clearance. Apparently Lewmar made too many and when Catalina didn't want them, Defender go a great price (Defender and Lewmar are only a couple miles apart and apparently this happens often but Defender doesn't advertise these deals you have to go to the store). We paid $450. Can't beat it.