Main Sheet Relocation

Oct 4, 2012
Howdy all,

Has anyone relocated the main sheet to mid boom and placed a traveler in the cockpit?

Thanks

James

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Based on responses so far maybe not.
I don't know where the sheeting is on the Balboa 20, but if you are moving from end of boom to mid-boom the loads are twice as much. Maybe the boom is overbuilt enough so that it doesn't matter but you should know that. Travelers in the cockpit can really divide the space and be shin busters. Why do you want to do this? On a 20' boat the need for a traveler is questionable anyway. And, there's always the question of how to mount the traveler, re-enforce the deck to handle it etc. etc. Why? The designer of the Balboa may have had it right.

Oct 4, 2012
Thanks
I am moving the sheet from the end of the boom to make the rear of the cockpit usable.
The sheet would mount to the board above the keel winch just to the rear of the companion way.
This will put the boom bail about 3/4 of the way back from the mast on the boom.
I guess a better question is should the attachment to the boom be directly up from the cockpit or is it ok to have the sheet angle to the rear a few degrees.
This would allow the bail to be even further back on the boom.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks
I am moving the sheet from the end of the boom to make the rear of the cockpit usable.
The sheet would mount to the board above the keel winch just to the rear of the companion way.
This will put the boom bail about 3/4 of the way back from the mast on the boom.
I guess a better question is should the attachment to the boom be directly up from the cockpit or is it ok to have the sheet angle to the rear a few degrees.
This would allow the bail to be even further back on the boom.
If you take a look at the following... you'll see there are a number of ways to re route the mainsheet without changing the mechanical load. The Crosby rig is really popular for transom hung rudders because it doesn't interfere with the tiller.... Before you jump into this you really need to study as many small boat mainsheet systems as possible... Google "mainsheet rigging diagrams" for more examples. If you move the entire system to mid boom you will need to increase the purchase power of you system because you lose the boom's leverage....

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
As Stu says, "Your boat, your choice."
I will pass along that I often sail on a Seafarer 23 which has mid-boom sheeting on the bridge deck and it makes access to the cabin difficult.