Most common environmentally friendly bottom paints?

Jul 10, 2011
Lancer 27PS 27 Powersailer Ohio - Lake Erie
I've decided to take the plunge and redo the bottom of my Lancer. Yep! sandblasting the bottom and 29 years of vc17 bottom paint will be gone. Was planning on redoing the bottom with Interlux 2000e barrier coating then bottom paint. The North Coast states, at least Ohio anyway, has yet to pass legislation banning leaching paints such as vc17. However, I feel it's just a matter of time so I intend to redo the bottom in a manner that will likely meet future environmental laws. I'm just beginning my research of options for an environmentally friendly bottom and was wondering what are the most common approaches to redoing bottoms in California, or other states, that have banned the leaching paints?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I am not aware that California has banned ablative paints! Can someone advise? Chief

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I do not believe that there are any Ca. State regulations banning a particular type of anti-fouling paint. However, there are local regulations that seem to be popping up all over the southern part of the state. Some manufactures/retailers seem to not allow certain paints to be shipped to Ca.

Sorry that this did not answer your question. I don't know what paints can and cannot be used. Maybe a marine catalog retail paint section will tell what can and what cannot be shipped to Ca.

Jul 10, 2011
You know. Now that you mention it Chief, and to Brian's comment as well, I think it was an article in Boat US that cited studies done by the San Diego Port Authority and maybe in Washington State. I'll dig around tonight, and see if I can find it. So! Which ablatives are you using?

Jul 10, 2011
Geez! I love the www. FOUND the article! It's in the BoatUS 2012, February/Mar edition and available on their website. Article is titled, Is Copper Bottom Paint Sinking?
Washington State did ban it, apparently CA tried. Below I pasted a link to the article and a couple of paragraphs from the article. I'm going to have to re-read it tonight as my sandblasting will hopefully begin in earnest in the upcoming week.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/february/copper.asp?WT.src=share_DG

More than two decades ago, the U.S. outlawed toxic tributyltin (TBT) in antifouling bottom paint, and copper-based substitutes took over to control marine growth on the hull. Last year, Washington became the first state to ban copper paint on environmental grounds. Now the California legislature is taking up similar restrictions.

When it comes to painting the bottom of a recreational vessel's hull to discourage marine growth, boaters currently have a wide array of products from which to choose. And while the choices can be a bit bewildering, beginning January 1, 2020, boaters in the state of Washington can scratch off their lists any paints that contain more than 0.5 percent copper. That's because last year, in response to concerns about contamination in Washington waters, the state legislature outlawed copper-based antifouling paints. (Paints on the market today contain 20- to 70-percent copper.)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Id probably try something like West Marines CFA Eco. At 240 a gallon it is about twice as expensive as the Petit Hydrocoat i use now.

Jul 10, 2011
Okay, barring any new info I'm leaning towards Interluxes Pacifica Plus, which is copper free, but still has biocides. I'm not quite ready to go non biocide. Keep the info and opinions coming. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I am not aware that California has banned ablative paints! Can someone advise? Chief
California has not banned any legal anti fouling paints, ablative or otherwise. Nor are there currently any regional or local bans on any particular paint type. The Port of San Diego has prohibited creating a "plume" of color when performing in-water hull cleaning, so that effectively eliminates cleaning ablative paints, but you could still have that type on your boat if you so desired. Marina del Rey is considering a ban on all copper-based paints, but that restriction has yet to come to pass and even if it does, it will be a years-long implementation process.

There are areas in Southern California that have VOC regulations that certain anti fouling paint products do not meet, but those restrictions are strictly due to air pollution issues, not water quality ones.

Feb 17, 2006
Shellback, did you contact your local boat yards to see what they are using? I am sure they will tell you so you can best judge what to use for your boat.

I find it interesting that a State would ban a natural element. Copper is natural, may not be in water in abundance, but it is a natural element.

Feb 26, 2011
I find it interesting that a State would ban a natural element. Copper is natural, may not be in water in abundance, but it is a natural element.
Arsenic is also a natural element. Would you question government regulation of it in your local waterways? Too much of anything can be harmful, natual element or not.

Feb 17, 2006
fstbttms, when is too much too much and who is qualified to make that decision? Unfortunately (or fortunately for that matter) unqualified people using unqualified test equipment/procedures make decisions for everyone in the name of good science.

This is not to say you are incorrect, but we need more tangible proof that boats in a marina with cooper paint is dramatically changing the eco system of that water bed. Just having a marina may be the primary cause of changing eco systems. Maybe that marina should not have been there to begin with. Who know, I sure don't.

Feb 26, 2011
Unfortunately (or fortunately for that matter) unqualified people using unqualified test equipment/procedures make decisions for everyone in the name of good science.
Where do you get that idea?

...we need more tangible proof that boats in a marina with cooper paint is dramatically changing the eco system of that water bed.
So only when dramatic changes have ocurred should anything be done?