Holding Tank Vents

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Has anyone had a problem with odours permeating through the holding tank vent hose walls ?

The compartment for containing the tank is under the setee which is fairly air tight and has little air movement. The smell is not like H2S or rotten eggs but smells more like rubber. If the cover is left off the setee for several weeks, there is no smell in the cabin so the source of smell is small.

There are two separate vent lines on the tank to promote air movement.

One at the front:

One at the back:

And here is an overall shot:

The vent hoses are the usual 3/4" heavy walled vinyl.

Leaks .................... I've knocked myself out over that one. There is no visible staining under the fill/drain hose and I recently redid both screwed vent connections with tape and dope (Permatex 2). No change in odours. The fill/drain hose is five years old and passes the hot wet rag test with flying colours. So do the vent hoses also pass the same test. As a matter of fact, the fill/drain hose was changed for just this problem but made no difference :cussing: at all. In short, there is no visible staining anywhere around the tank.

Any ideas would be most welcome at this stage.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If it smells like rubber, could it be the new hose itself? I know the Trident 101/102 hose smells when new. Stick your nose right on the black hose. If it has been only a few months, perhaps just wait.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Stick your nose right on the black hose. If it has been only a few months, perhaps just wait.
Thanks for your reply thinwater. The new(er) 1-1/2" sanitary hose has been in for five years and doesn't have a rubber odour to it using the nose test at this time. Nothing smells, but I still accumulate this offensive odour in the compartment when it's closed.

Right now I'm obsessed by this elusive smell and don't have anything much else to worry about.