Cleaning of upholstery

May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
I have a 2003 B36 with the blue fabric upholstery.
Time for cleaning before the upcoming sailing season, something that I have not previously done.
I can't locate any information regarding how the fabric should be cleaned - no tags that I could find.
Does anyone know what the cleaning process should be? - drycleaning, cold water, warm water, type of detergent, etc. Cleaning hints from the experienced?
Thanks

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
OMG! Someone removed the "Do not remove this tag under penalty of law" tag!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
OMG! Someone removed the "Do not remove this tag under penalty of law" tag!
Hangin's too good fer 'em :cussing:.

But seriously folks ................. I was told some years back at a cleaner's that fabric covers on foam were prone to shrinkage and may never go back on again if washed or dry cleaned off the foam. For that reason, I've always had our covers cleaned (while on the foam) by the carpet cleaner when we get the rugs professionally cleaned every other year. They look good and no worries about shrinking.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
They did'nt know how to put foam back and gave you a story.

Simple: bag the foam in plastic and vacuum out the air. Stick the foam back in and remove the plastic.

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Hangin's too good fer 'em :cussing:.

But seriously folks ................. I was told some years back at a cleaner's that fabric covers on foam were prone to shrinkage and may never go back on again if washed or dry cleaned off the foam. For that reason, I've always had our covers cleaned (while on the foam) by the carpet cleaner when we get the rugs professionally cleaned every other year. They look good and no worries about shrinking.
I just replaced the foam in one seat cushion of my settee. When I told the foam guy what you were told he just laughed, and said as long as you wash the cover in cold water and hang to dry, you would be fine. That is just what we did and the new foam (cut to match the old foam) went in fairly easily. My seat cover has probably only got a couple of years life left in it, and if I was fussy, I would have replaced it as well.:D
Tom

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've removed and washed the fabric on my Bavaria several times. Take off of the foam cushions; wash in cold water w/detergent. After spinning, let fabric air out for a while (not too long); and then put fabric back on the foam cushion while still slightly damp. (Be sure not to mix them up.) Then, let the whole (reassembled) cushion air out until fully dry. No shrinkage that way.

Last edited:
May 22, 2009
2003 Bavaria 36 Victoria BC
I've removed and washed the fabric on my Bavaria several times. Take off of the foam cushions; wash in cold water w/detergent. After spinning, let fabric air out for a while (not too long); and then put fabric back on the foam cushion while still slightly damp. (Be sure not to mix them up.) Then, let the whole (reassembled) cushion air out until fully dry. No shrinkage that way.
I did eventually get a reply from Bavaria (it happens!) and their advice was to have the fabric "chemically cleaned", i.e., dry cleaned.

Aug 14, 2013
MacGregor 26S High Desert
I washed all the covers from my Mac in cold water, air dried on the deck railing, and reinstalled without any issue.