Solar Panel Output for Hunter 376

Sep 30, 2013
Hunter 376 West Haverstraw. NY
The solar panel on my 376 does not function. I don't have the users manual for the panel. Can anyone tell me either the wattage or current this panel is supposed to deliver? I'm looking to replace it with a panel of similar output.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
I too have a 376 and the solar panel is also ineffective. However it never was effective being under the boom with the mainsail in its cover directly overhead and constantly blocking out some of the light. In my location there is constantly a part of this panel in the shade.
To overcome this I stand two solar panels each approx 1' wide and 3' tall, each on a plywood backing panel and with both panels hinged together down their long sides. I stand this construction on the foredeck just in front of the mast and leaning back against the mast. Everything is retained in place with a line from each corner. This affair serves to replace, during the weekdays, any power taken out of the batteries over a weekend so I always have fully charged batteries.
When we go sailing I remove the two solar panels, fold them closed and leave the whole lot in my dinghy that I use to get out to the boat.

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
I have a 380, but I think the solar panel arrangement is pretty much the same. Mine wasn't working. It turned out to be broke wires where the wires go between panels on the deck. I butt spliced the wires and sealed with heatshrink tubing and the panel now works....but I think it is only a 6 watt panel, and not well positioned to be in direct sunlight. I bought a 30watt panel (a Gantz) and ran it through a solar controller to a 12v plug. When I plug it into a 12 socket it back feeds the battery through the system wiring. I can zip tie this panel temporarily to my bimini frame, lifelines, etc., and it does a good job of keeping my battery up as long as I keep the load to just the bilge pump.
-charlie

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
The solar panel on my 376 does not function. I don't have the users manual for the panel. Can anyone tell me either the wattage or current this panel is supposed to deliver? I'm looking to replace it with a panel of similar output.
Here's the link to your solar panel manual:

http://www.marlow-hunter.com/export/Model-Information/376 Hunter 1996-1998 x/Solar Panel.pdf

It's in the Marlow Hunter database for the 376. If you haven't browsed through the files there, you should check it out, because you'll find lots of good information.

The panel's output is pretty low. It's really only a trickle charger for the starting battery to make sure it stays topped off when you're away from the boat and not hooked to shore power and running your charger.

Sep 30, 2013
Thank you

I too have a 376 and the solar panel is also ineffective. However it never was effective being under the boom with the mainsail in its cover directly overhead and constantly blocking out some of the light. In my location there is constantly a part of this panel in the shade.
To overcome this I stand two solar panels each approx 1' wide and 3' tall, each on a plywood backing panel and with both panels hinged together down their long sides. I stand this construction on the foredeck just in front of the mast and leaning back against the mast. Everything is retained in place with a line from each corner. This affair serves to replace, during the weekdays, any power taken out of the batteries over a weekend so I always have fully charged batteries.
When we go sailing I remove the two solar panels, fold them closed and leave the whole lot in my dinghy that I use to get out to the boat.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Sep 30, 2013
Thank you.

I have a 380, but I think the solar panel arrangement is pretty much the same. Mine wasn't working. It turned out to be broke wires where the wires go between panels on the deck. I butt spliced the wires and sealed with heatshrink tubing and the panel now works....but I think it is only a 6 watt panel, and not well positioned to be in direct sunlight. I bought a 30watt panel (a Gantz) and ran it through a solar controller to a 12v plug. When I plug it into a 12 socket it back feeds the battery through the system wiring. I can zip tie this panel temporarily to my bimini frame, lifelines, etc., and it does a good job of keeping my battery up as long as I keep the load to just the bilge pump.
-charlie
Did you also need to add a regulator?

Dec 29, 2009
Hunter 380 Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA
Re: Thank you.

Yes, I used a solar controller (regulator) it was about 20bucks.