Fresh water tank

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
About time to empty and replace bow water tank in my 2003 C10. When
checked late last year, after taking delivery, noticed PO (previous owner)
had what looked like hockey puck size white object in tank. Wonder if
some of you use similar (if available) chlorine "tablets" as opposed to
liquid bleach? Don't use mine for drinking water just general clean up.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
About time to empty and replace bow water tank in my 2003 C10. When
checked late last year, after taking delivery, noticed PO (previous owner)
had what looked like hockey puck size white object in tank. Wonder if
some of you use similar (if available) chlorine "tablets" as opposed to
liquid bleach? Don't use mine for drinking water just general clean up.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA
Oops - meant to say replace water in bow water tank............

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Much easier to just change the water, right? We don't normally put anything in the fresh water tank. We do filter the water at the hose as we fill the tank, and we have a charcoal filter under the galley sink. If the water does get funky, we will put a small amount of liquid bleach in a half tank of fresh water and run it through the system. Let it sit a day or so, drain the tank, fill with fresh water, run it through the system, and drain and fill again. If you live aboard, as we do, there is less chance of the water getting funky.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Sometimes

we use the pool bleaches where we break up a little piece. For the way we use our boat, it helps to have a little bleach in the tank to help keep it from getting funky. We use our water to flush the toilet (never use the river water) and any other way so we can flush out the tank every couple weeks so it does not get funky.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
If you have an inspection port and can look inside (and see something left in there), perhaps you can use the tank access to clean it out.
If not, consider putting in a larger port.

As others point out, you can disinfect the tank and lines. For over a decade I have found that physically cleaning the tank interior is really the best answer.

We drain and wipe down the inside of our tank every fall; and use it for all drinking and cooking every summer. We have two 6" screw-out ports (due to a center baffle in the tank).

Aside: You would not regularly put up with undrinkable water out of your tap at home - why do that when cruising on your "second home"? :)

Good luck with resolving your water quandaries. The 310 is a nice cruising boat - a friend of mine has owned one for many years and spent oodles of nights on board.