Should I Buy an F27 Trimaran?

Aug 13, 2013
Looking for a Corsair F27 Madison, CT
I am going to buy a sailboat next summer for cruising quick overnights/weekends & daysailing in Long Island Sound. I am currently enthralled with getting a Corsair F27 trimaran. http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/Corsair_F-27 The ability to get across the sound in a half day is particularly appealing (as well as the fun of going fast- I am a former Hobie 16 sailor). I can see no downside to a tri besides the potential to capsize vs a keelboat, which I feel comfortable I can avoid. I'm fine with a shorter/smaller cabin. Any downsides I might be missing?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The surface state of the sound will determine how much of that speed capability you can actually use. That is a very powerfully canvased boat, and a wet ride, especially in big chop. They are huge fun to sail, and Ian Farrier's folding ama design is genius. It is a great trailer sailor, but pretty spartan by my standards.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Love Them

A friend down here in florida has one that he seems to still use for weekend
over nighters and not a younger guy and retired and 60 which enjoys very much and hope to go sailing on it soon.
i also had hobie 16 up when in NY and saw many times those trimaran's going from Ct. to Block Island.
I am sure you can add things for over over nighters and weekends,we are retired
here our 60 ish and enjoy our comforts when cruising here 2 or 3 weeks at a time.
Nick

Aug 13, 2013
The surface state of the sound will determine how much of that speed capability you can actually use. That is a very powerfully canvased boat, and a wet ride, especially in big chop. They are huge fun to sail, and Ian Farrier's folding ama design is genius. It is a great trailer sailor, but pretty spartan by my standards.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking I can just reef the hell out of the sails if needed (like with passengers who want to stay dry ;-) )- does it still sail well heavily reefed? That may be sort of a noob question- I've chartered bigger boats but this would be the biggest boat I've owned. Thinking the reduced heeling would offset wetness in terms of wary passenger comfort?

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
Would you keep it in the water?

My main worry would be how hard/ how long it would take to rig one of these if you are going to trailer sail it.

I used to have a Mac 26, and it almost always took me an hour to get it fully ready to go. A lot of people say it should be a lot faster than 1 hour, but that's about what it always took to go from ready for the highway to ready for the water.

These trimarans look a decent bit more complicated. They also look like a lot of fun.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
It all depends on what you're looking for... I rented an F27 once to go from LA to Catalina. Fast and furious, I was with a teen-aged daughter; we loved the boat and the trip. You can overnight in spartan comfort: the boat will remain fast and fun and wet, no matter what.
You won't be buying comfort no matter what you do to make it more sedate! Reefing for comfort would be a sin on this boat. I owned a Tornado for about fifteen years, when I gave it away I (we) wanted comfort; if you are younger and do not want to go the long-term cruising route this might be the perfect boat.
Good luck & have fun.
Pierre

Aug 13, 2013
My main worry would be how hard/ how long it would take to rig one of these if you are going to trailer sail it.

I used to have a Mac 26, and it almost always took me an hour to get it fully ready to go. A lot of people say it should be a lot faster than 1 hour, but that's about what it always took to go from ready for the highway to ready for the water.

These trimarans look a decent bit more complicated. They also look like a lot of fun.
I'm going to be able to moor it. But you can actually fold up the pontoons on the water in a few minutes to motor into a slip, so I think set-up is as quick as a monohull

and thanks Pierre- I would normally be going fast & furious, just want the ability to keep others (read: wifey) happy when she's aboard (which will not be most of the time- hence the short trips I mentioned in the OP rather than live-aboard long cruises)- I don't want to have to scare people

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
I met a very nice fellow last summer that crossed the atlantic in his f31 with his wife, he took me out for a ride with the boat and the speed impressed me , very fast boat

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
It is a very light boat and doesn't need much sail once the wind builds. The boat accelerates much more quickly than a mono, or even your average cruise cat so you need to be keenly aware of sails and trim.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
That boat is one heck of a performer. Multi hulls are not supposed to go well up wind but with a friend sailing close hauled in the Oakland Estuary we were dusting mono hulls that were motoring.

The accommodations are also surprisingly good for what it is. The ability to trailer and it's skinny water capability are a massive attraction.

Just be warned though, some time back on the bay one was capsized when the downwind amah was hit by a large wake and submarined, it is nowhere near as forgiving as a big ole monohull and proper caution is needed.

For what it is good for it is a great boat.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
This sounds like the boat for you. The beauty of having a cabin is that guests (or the Admiral) can seek shelter if they don't want to get wet. Heeling on a mono is usually what upsets most newbies to sailing, so at least that isn't as much of an issue on the tri. It's probably the speed that will concern most guests. My friend's wife was scared ****less on our buddy"s F-24, but my wife loved it. But then, my wife likes to drive motorcycles, fast. Just be picky about who goes with you, but get out there and have fun.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A great go fast cruiser

The only caution is that you have to load it light to keep it fast. It's surprising how much you will want to load for just an overnight!

On the other hand, this is a great cruiser for inland archipelagos. The Thousand Islands are not far away. Short fetches between the islands keep the waves down. And there are hundreds of places to anchor - all kinds of destinations. I met a couple cruising the North Channel of Lake Huron for a couple of weeks in one.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You won't know till you try it. :)

... and you can always sell it if it ain't suiting ya.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Any downsides I might be missing?
Yes, don't wait till summer.... get it asap so you can have it ready for summer... Those Corsairs are very cool sailboats... you'll be the envy of every sailor on the sound when you whiz past them with the windward ama skimming over the wavelets.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Yes, don't wait till summer.... get it asap so you can have it ready for summer... Those Corsairs are very cool sailboats... you'll be the envy of every sailor on the sound when you whiz past them with the windward ama skimming over the wavelets.
I'm with Joe on this one, had a Hobe16 and a Solcat 18 and I miss that "Need Fore Speed". Getting to Catalina in just two hours would be priceless,