Engine Temperature - Thermostat Issue?

Mar 22, 2009
Catalina 310 Gulfport Small Craft Harbor, MS
All,

No success doing a search for some helpful info.

My temp gauge rarely gets much above 120. Swapped out gauges and have the same issue with new gauge. Pretty sure the gauge is getting an "input" and is working properly as it starts below 120 and works up to a little over 120.

Have owned Polaris for 18 months now and I use it quite a bit. Have always had this issue. For long time wrote it off as bad gauge. But now not so sure about that.

The metal casing around the coolant reservoir is quite warm but not so hot that I can't put my hand on it and check the temp. One of my boating friends says that my thermostat may be stuck in full open.

So the questions:

1. Can this thermostat/engine temp issue be checked and/or corrected?

2. Where can one buy a new thermostat and what type would I need?

3. Anybody have any experience and accompanying "words of wisdom" on how to remove old and install new thermostat.

Appreciate any help.

Merry Christmas to all and "THANKS!!!" to all that make this forum so helpful and useful.

Cheers,
Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jim, click on the link in Reply #1 here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3212.0.html

Instead of trying to figure out what's wrong, just get two new thermostats and gaskets. That'll fix your issue.

Swapping out thermostats is probably the easiest thing to do on the engine. Two bolts, a gasket and you're done.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As usual, I am going to point someone to something Maine Sail did (I kinda feel like a cheat cause that is my go to:)).

I would recommend you pickup an infrared thermometer and check out this how to article from Compass Marine (http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/engine_temp).

I also think that Stu gave some good advice. There are really only 4 parts to the temp system, the temp sender, the temp switch, the thermostat and the gauge (see attached pdf). You can replace the first 3 of these for under a boat buck (less than $100). Quick and easy (other than the bleeding, see this from Maine Sail for that http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg38110.html#msg38110)

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Attachments

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
c130king

Use a pyrex cup or something similar and put your old thermostat in the cup

and keep adding warmer water from the sink faucet and while monitering the

water temperature with a thermometer see when the thermostat opens.

U can use a tea kettle to boil water, just in case you can not use the sink.

U can also use a coffee pot for heating the water.

U can ask the person next door or down the street to boil the water for U.

As Jewel always says......just a thought.

If it wasn't so cold today, I think I would do this and make a movie......

sometimes people need, like a visual thing....like Ray

paulj
:troll:

Mar 22, 2009
Thermostat frustration...

So I ordered a new thermostat from Catalina Direct. It said it was for M25XP (as well as several other engines).

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1897_71/diesel-engine-thermostat.cfm

But it didn't fit. It was too small.

And of course when I opened the thermostat casing the old gasket was ripped and not re-useable.

So we made a run to NAPA to see if they would be able to find us one. No luck. But they did recommend a roll of gasket paper to make a new gasket so I could install the old one. And that worked.

So old thermostat is back in place. Will call CD on Monday and see if I can return the wrong one and get the right one.

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 22, 2009
Yes, I read all your Kubota recommendations. I tried a couple contacts I found on line. But I couldn't find a Kubota dealer anywhere near me that would answer an email or phone call...0 for 2. And I tried the diesel engine repair place I used for my transmission parts but they had to order, would take 7-10 days, and was very nearly same price as CD.

Not really worried about saving $25 on something like this. Not like I am purchasing one every 3 or 4 months.

Like the convenience and quickness of CD. And normally I get the right thing I need. But this time I got the wrong one.

Cheers,
Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jim, I understand, thanks for the feedback. 0 for 2 seems somewhat limited, since most pllaces will ship Xcountry for little to nothing. And when i find some of these treasures" I buy two! :) As noted in that link, "my" local Livermore Kubota dealer seemed to have gone out of business - the "gentrification" of the central valley by SF commuters have reduced the demand on tractors, no doubt. :) Iowa will be next...

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Here I was feelin all down cause its winter ...

c130king
Use a pyrex cup or something similar and put your old thermostat in the cup
and keep adding warmer water from the sink faucet and while monitering the water temperature with a thermometer see when the thermostat opens.

U can use a tea kettle to boil water, just in case you can not use the sink.
U can also use a coffee pot for heating the water.
U can ask the person next door or down the street to boil the water for U.
As Jewel always says......just a thought.

If it wasn't so cold today, I think I would do this and make a movie......
sometimes people need, like a visual thing....like Ray
paulj
:troll:
and PaulJ makes me laugh. It rained all day here (and yesterday) and before that it was wicked cold, and the boat is pickled and waiting for spring. Thanks PaulJ! LMAO here in Virginia. :D

Had no ideas there was a poet hiding in PaulJ! :+1:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
So I ordered a new thermostat from Catalina Direct. It said it was for M25XP (as well as several other engines).

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1897_71/diesel-engine-thermostat.cfm

But it didn't fit. It was too small.

And of course when I opened the thermostat casing the old gasket was ripped and not re-useable.

So we made a run to NAPA to see if they would be able to find us one. No luck. But they did recommend a roll of gasket paper to make a new gasket so I could install the old one. And that worked.

So old thermostat is back in place. Will call CD on Monday and see if I can return the wrong one and get the right one.

Cheers,
Jim
Not sure how much difference it makes, but most of the Universals in the C310 are M25xpb vs. M25xp, I believe.

Mar 22, 2009
Tom,

It is an XPB. And the listing for that thermostat does say XPB...but it says "through 3/1998" which is the part I didn't pay close enough attention to.

The next listing for the larger thermostat is the XPB for "after 3/1998" engines.

I just didn't catch that detail at the time.

I will call them on Monday and see if I can return the small one and get the bigger one. Probably be out the shipping and return shipping.

Oh well...it's just money...you can't take it with you...etc, etc, etc....

Cheers,
Jim

Mar 22, 2009
Got the new correct thermostat from CD and a refund for returning the wrong one. Installed and the test run on the engine got the temp up to about 155. Never saw more than 125 before (past 18 months). So I think the engine will run more better (...for the lack of proper grammer...).

Cheers,
Jim

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Jim, I understand, thanks for the feedback. 0 for 2 seems somewhat limited, since most pllaces will ship Xcountry for little to nothing. And when i find some of these treasures" I buy two! :) As noted in that link, "my" local Livermore Kubota dealer seemed to have gone out of business - the "gentrification" of the central valley by SF commuters have reduced the demand on tractors, no doubt. :) Iowa will be next...
You might try South Bay Ford Trucks in San Jose. They are also Kubota
dealer.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA