Boom vang adjustment...

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Our vang is attached to the boom at a point whereby no further downward adjustment can be made. We want to be able to tighten the mainsail leech. There is room to do so between the boom and the dodger. Is there any reason why not to loosen and reattach the vang further out on the boom? Are there any caveats to keep in mind while doing so? Thank you for your response.
Doug.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
if im not crazy the vang is supposed to match the length from the goosneck to the attachment point on the mast stub to the length from the gooseneck to the attachment poin on the boom, moving it out will try to force the boom into the mast instead of pulling it down. you should be able to flip the vang tackle over (the part currently on the boom will be on the mast stub), and run the control line to the cockpit under the dodger, either cut a slot or move the cleat back to the cockpit as well.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
Doug, i will be doing the same thing on my boat this spring. What Refus is saying makes perfect sense but from what i can see on my H33, moving the attachment point about 2" further out will provide the much needed adjustment range to flatten the leech. Your 356 is very simular so i don't see i problem but hopefully we will hear from someone who has made the adjustment.
Marc

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Vang Adjustment

Did the same on our H44. Could only lower the boom until the blocks on the boom for the main sheet started to interfere with the arch and Bimini. Could not get as much additional room to flatten the leach as I had hoped.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Doug, we did not get into this yet on our boat. It appears there was a problem with the leach flutter on the 356 mainsails. Is this what you are trying to remedy ? I think UK did do some adjusting on the boats mainsails if the owners complained about the problem.
If you have not done so already checkout the Selden manual for the boom vang, they have a warning in there about not compressing the boom vang completely. I use my topping lift as my gauge to be sure I don't do that.
I used the leach line to remove as much flutter as possible. I may take the mainsail in and have it looked at if i can not remove it by tweaking what I have now. Let me know how the vang project progresses. Regards, Bob

Oct 24, 2011
Hunter Passage 450 Lake Lanier, GA
Doug, we did not get into this yet on our boat. It appears there was a problem with the leach flutter on the 356 mainsails. Is this what you are trying to remedy ? I think UK did do some adjusting on the boats mainsails if the owners complained about the problem.
If you have not done so already checkout the Selden manual for the boom vang, they have a warning in there about not compressing the boom vang completely. I use my topping lift as my gauge to be sure I don't do that.
I used the leach line to remove as much flutter as possible. I may take the mainsail in and have it looked at if i can not remove it by tweaking what I have now. Let me know how the vang project progresses. Regards, Bob
Also make sure that your main is hoisted all the way with the main halyard.

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Thank you for your many comments. With regard to your point, Rufus, it wil pull the boom into the mast but it will also pull it down. The assumption that we want more control over the leech tension is correct. Using the leech line helps but it also tends to put an unwanted curl in the edge. We have enough room over the dodger to pull the boom down a few inches without interfering with the vang blocks. Bob, your comment may move me to contact UK.