bottom paint

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have been doing some searching, and have found several different types of bottom paint for sailboats... and I am confused... there is ablative paint, hard paint, VF-17 paint, and gelcoat paint... I have tried to figure out what I need on my boat, but they seam to be a little vague about certain things.... like is a primer required ?... how much sanding is required ? ... and what is the significance in the differences between them all ?.... how often do you have to reapply the paint to the bottom ?... can they be brushed on, rolled on, or sprayed on ?...

a couple of the bottom paints say they cannot be put on over another type of paint... I do not know what kind of paint was used previously on my boat ... and if I need to know what is on it , how can I tell... the PO didn't sail, and left the boat in his barn on his farm for 10 years, until I bought it from him... he never sailed it... he got the boat as payment on a loan he made to a friend... so you see my delima as to the bottom paint to use ....

sincerely
Jess

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's best to consult with folks who sail in the same area as the efficacy of various paints differs depending on location and if you keep her in all season.

Dec 7, 2012
It's best to consult with folks who sail in the same area as the efficacy of various paints differs depending on location and if you keep her in all season.
hello

the problem is, I didn't get this boat in the local area.... I drove 5 hours to go pick it up in another state... also the boat has been sitting on the trailer for 10 years and never been in the water in all that time... I do not know what kind of bottom paint was put on it, nor does the man who I bought it from.. he never sailed it... he got it as payment on a loan from a friend, and the friend is passed away several years ago... i am at an end on trying to figure this out... ant help would be good...

this sailboat will mostly be sailed in fresh water right now, but there will be an occasional ocean voyage with it...

sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I got the bottom painted finally... I bought Copper Kote Ablative bottom paint, in black... 1st I put 2 coats of white primer on the keel, then 3 coats of the black bottom paint... it loos wonderful

here are the pictures of it... 1st pictures is before I started, 2nd picture is with the white primer, then last is the black bottom coat paint

sincerely
Jess

Attachments