Exhaust riser life

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Wondering about replacement of exhaust riser on my 2003. Perhaps
factory installed stainless steel which should last about ten years so
mine might be due for replacement? Think on the C30's the factory
used black pipe which didn't last very long.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
San Jose, CA

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Jim, that link didn't work for me.

Clydo, over the past 25+ years, our C34 community has asked that same question and we have come to NO firm conclusion. Some reported failures at 800 hours (roughly 8 years @ 100 engine hours per year), others as long as 16 years, mine lasted 13 or 14.

It's kinda like reefing: if you even think you should...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Ours failed at the weld for the water injection port. It had about 500 hours on it in 10 years at that point. I made my own. I wrote about it on my blog http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/custom-exhaust-risermixing-elbow/

It cost less than a third of what the Catalina Direct version was and I didn't have to ship the broken one to Cali. I might make another one out of stainless steel since I found the parts I need on McMaster Carr. Would cost about $120 for SS parts and take about an hour to make.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
This is the repair on my exhaust riser.....

Maybe the same area on all exhaust risers ?

paulj
:troll:

Attachments

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Ours failed at the weld for the water injection port. It had about 500 hours on it in 10 years at that point. I made my own. I wrote about it on my blog http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/custom-exhaust-risermixing-elbow/

It cost less than a third of what the Catalina Direct version was and I didn't have to ship the broken one to Cali. I might make another one out of stainless steel since I found the parts I need on McMaster Carr. Would cost about $120 for SS parts and take about an hour to make.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Called Catalina factory in Florida today and they said would ship out
new riser; however, would have no protective covers on it. They would
ship out silver metal material and fiberglass. Supposed to cover with
silver stiff first then wet fiberglass and wrap riser. My current riser has
silver stuff on top which makes me think my 2003 (11 yrs) old riser has been replaced at least once. Is factory wrap info current thinking? Original procedure? Know muffler
heat protection stuff is available at auto parts store. Thanks for any
thoughts.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I just disassembled my exhaust riser only to inspect it. It was in excellent condition after 1400+ hours since 2003. Only a fine coating of soot on the inside, no buildup of carbon. I had wrapped the riser last in 2006, using the factory supplied kit. It consisted of a wire cage I formed around the riser, then the fiberglass wrap (dry), and then the insulation with a covering of metal tape. For this inspection, I re-used everything except the fiberglass tape and the metal tape. With this installation, nothing actually touches the riser except the wire cage.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I just disassembled my exhaust riser only to inspect it. It was in excellent condition after 1400+ hours since 2003. Only a fine coating of soot on the inside, no buildup of carbon. I had wrapped the riser last in 2006, using the factory supplied kit. It consisted of a wire cage I formed around the riser, then the fiberglass wrap (dry), and then the insulation with a covering of metal tape. For this inspection, I re-used everything except the fiberglass tape and the metal tape. With this installation, nothing actually touches the riser except the wire cage.

Tom - thank you very much. Great information. Just what I needed on the insulation.
If mine in same condition will not need new riser. Wanted to be ready if needed new.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #345
ILEAN TOO

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Tom - thank you very much. Great information. Just what I needed on the insulation.
If mine in same condition will not need new riser. Wanted to be ready if needed new.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #345
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA