kittiwake

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I got my kittiwake home now... she is a beautiful boat with beautiful lines... the kittiwake sailboat was designed by Carl Alberg back in the mid '60's for the Kenner Boat co. ... they only produced 286 known boats... then they were bought out by AJ Enterprises, who produced 64 boats, and later to green river boat company, who produced 69 boats

I found out from the old owner she has been sitting for almost 10 years... the trailer needs new bunk boards, new surge brake system, and a new keel resting board...

the boat needs a cleaning, the hull is in great shape, solid hull and deck... the mast is ready to be put up with standing rigging in place, needs new running rigging installed... I need to find some sails, or have some made for it... the deck is sky blue, so I will repaint that white... the waterline and below needs repainting, I will repaint that black... above the water line will stay white, and the inside will need to be repainted white... the floor inside the cabin is rotted from water being inside the boat up to that level, so I will be replacing that in the spring too... there is no bilge pump in either bilge area... yes, it has 2 bilge areas in the boat... all the rubber hoses for the cockpit (2), head (2), sink (2) need to be replaced...

I have all my deck hardware to attach to my new boat before spring sailing... also I have been thinking about adding bow and transom railing and safety lines along the sides... I have seen many pictures with these on kittiwakes, and I like it a lot... I have an old harken roller furling off my other boat, I will resize it and add it to my Kittiwake... I have an old Mac25 that I am decommissioning and stripping down... I will be using parts from that to add to my Kittiwake...

my wife has already names my Kittiwake sailboat... she named it "Xing Fu", which translates into 'happiness' or 'happy boat' depending on which dialect you use in china... yes, my wife is Chinese... I will post her picture here too... she is part of my sailing crew once she gets here in USA... we have been fighting the USA immigration for 3 years to get her permission to come to USA... they finally granted it this year... she will be here in December...

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Dan52

Nov 17, 2013
Kitiwake 23 Lake Quachita
Congratulations on your new boat. I bought one last week and going to get it ready to sail by spring. I have had other boats but something about this kittiwake caught my eye and I had have her.

Dec 7, 2012
Congratulations on your new boat. I bought one last week and going to get it ready to sail by spring. I have had other boats but something about this kittiwake caught my eye and I had have her.

hello Dan

I felt the same when I found my Kittiwake too... she has special lines... my friend has a Corinthian 19, and it looks identical to the Kittiwake 23... we took the club championship with is boat... I fell in love with my Kittiwake the 1st time I saw her...

congrats on your purchase... and I know you will have fun sailing her.... I look forward to seeing pictures of your posted.... I too shall be posting pictures of mine as I get projects done and am sailing her...

sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012

hello Dan

Let me know of any project or mods you undertake on your boat.... I would like to know and see pictures... I will do the same with my boat... I would enjoy hearing from you about anything you do with your boat...

I plan to set up my boat for single handed sailing.. so all my ropes will come back to the cockpit area... Inside to cabin I have to remove the old floor, and will glass in a new one in the spring... how is your floor inside the cabin ??? .. I will also be painting the deck (white), waterline and below (black with a blue stripe at water level)..

I look forward to hearing from you and seeing your pictures...

sincerely
Jess

Jun 5, 2014
Kittiwake 23 23 Texas City
new owner of a rough Kittiwake 23, looking to get her sorted in 2014 to sail in 2015, she is rough inside. I need initially to replace hatches and also put in new wiring and a bilge pump, any assistance would be appreciated
T

hello all

I got my kittiwake home now... she is a beautiful boat with beautiful lines... the kittiwake sailboat was designed by Carl Alberg back in the mid '60's for the Kenner Boat co. ... they only produced 286 known boats... then they were bought out by AJ Enterprises, who produced 64 boats, and later to green river boat company, who produced 69 boats

I found out from the old owner she has been sitting for almost 10 years... the trailer needs new bunk boards, new surge brake system, and a new keel resting board...

the boat needs a cleaning, the hull is in great shape, solid hull and deck... the mast is ready to be put up with standing rigging in place, needs new running rigging installed... I need to find some sails, or have some made for it... the deck is sky blue, so I will repaint that white... the waterline and below needs repainting, I will repaint that black... above the water line will stay white, and the inside will need to be repainted white... the floor inside the cabin is rotted from water being inside the boat up to that level, so I will be replacing that in the spring too... there is no bilge pump in either bilge area... yes, it has 2 bilge areas in the boat... all the rubber hoses for the cockpit (2), head (2), sink (2) need to be replaced...

I have all my deck hardware to attach to my new boat before spring sailing... also I have been thinking about adding bow and transom railing and safety lines along the sides... I have seen many pictures with these on kittiwakes, and I like it a lot... I have an old harken roller furling off my other boat, I will resize it and add it to my Kittiwake... I have an old Mac25 that I am decommissioning and stripping down... I will be using parts from that to add to my Kittiwake...

my wife has already names my Kittiwake sailboat... she named it "Xing Fu", which translates into 'happiness' or 'happy boat' depending on which dialect you use in china... yes, my wife is Chinese... I will post her picture here too... she is part of my sailing crew once she gets here in USA... we have been fighting the USA immigration for 3 years to get her permission to come to USA... they finally granted it this year... she will be here in December...

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Dec 7, 2012
hello

welcome aboard and to the family

I have original fiberglass hatches on my kittiwake... I would use teak or mohagany on the hatches and woo trim.... most other woods are not suited for the boats... all the wood work inside the boat is mohagany.... all the on the outside is teak... teak is very expensive... any wood I replace on my kittiwake, I will replace with mohagany... I am adding a mohagany bow sprit to my boat, and it will allow me to move the roller furling out further and let me fly a bigger jib or genoa...

on here we like lots of pictures to see what everyone else is doing to their boats...

sincerely
Jess

DockH

May 14, 2011
Abbott 22 Lorain, Ohio
Parts

Have some stanchion hardware avail if interested. If you do not use the old Harken RF I need parts for a Model "Unit 0". Might trade.

Attachments

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I finished the outside of the boat, with 1 exception.... I have not painted the hull yet.... the bottom was fixed and painted, and the deck was painted.... I attached the hardware needed to make it set up for solo sailing.... my wife arrived from china 3 weeks ago and last week we were married in the USA.... we made the maiden voyage for my boat and her 1st time sailing together... it was wonderful.... she did get a little scared when the boat caught the wind and started heeling over.... we flew the mainsail only on the maiden voyage....

on our second voyage, my wife insisted on taking a picnic lunch.... so we packed a cooler of food and drinks.... we were out about 1 hour when she realized we for got the bread and crackers for the sandwich spread and bologna.... I was flying the main and genoa.... the genoa turned out to be a little big for the Kittiwake, so when we docked so she could get the forgotten food items, my stepson and I changed out the genoa for the jib... the jib worked a lot better.... we were able to make better speed and more heeling on the boat....

when I went to put the boat back on the trailer, I broke the trailer tongue jack.... we got luck and got some help to get everything back in order... I have to replace the tongue jack now....

both days were fantastic sailing..... mostly light winds, with some gusts....

here are pictures of the boat....and us sailing, my crew pooped out on me about 3 hours into the sailing day.... they had to have naps...

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Jun 5, 2014
Would you sell the original winches and handles? If so name a price.

Trevor

Jun 5, 2014
Where do you place your bilge pumps and led them through the hull (I assume existing outlets?)

Dec 7, 2012
hello kimbo

I added 2 thru hull fittings at the back and under the cockpit to attach the cockpit drains to.... then I used the front 2 that the cockpit drain was originally attached to, to attach my bilge pumps to... also I did not have the toilet in my boat, so I converted those 2 thru hulls into the attachments for the hummingbird depth/fish finder.... on the starboard thru fitting I replaced it with the thru hull mount transducer... on the port side I installed the thru hull speed and temp sensor... this puts them both in front of the keel and they work great...

I hope you have as much fun with your Kittiwake as I have with mine... she is a good sailboat and she is moderately fast... I out ran a catalina 22, catalina 25 and a hunter 260 the other day.... it was fun racing them....

sincerely
Jess

Jun 5, 2014
Stern eagle

hello kimbo

I added 2 thru hull fittings at the back and under the cockpit to attach the cockpit drains to.... then I used the front 2 that the cockpit drain was originally attached to, to attach my bilge pumps to... also I did not have the toilet in my boat, so I converted those 2 thru hulls into the attachments for the hummingbird depth/fish finder.... on the starboard thru fitting I replaced it with the thru hull mount transducer... on the port side I installed the thru hull speed and temp sensor... this puts them both in front of the keel and they work great...

I hope you have as much fun with your Kittiwake as I have with mine... she is a good sailboat and she is moderately fast... I out ran a catalina 22, catalina 25 and a hunter 260 the other day.... it was fun racing them....

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Dec 7, 2012
hello kimbo

your eagle looks great... did you paint it gold ? or was it already that way... mine was grey and inside the boat when I got it... I painted mine gold and mounted it t the same place you did... under it I put the boats name... my wife named both my boats.... our Kittiwake is "Xing Fu" (pronounced sing foo).... it means happy boat.... my Morgan 35' sailboat she named "kai Xin Yuan".... it means happy home... she call the big boat our home on the water....

have you had a chance to sail your "Valhalla" yet ?

sincerely
Jess

Jun 5, 2014
I am changing the name to 'Dun saving' but that's how it was when bought.

I have some serious work over the winter (well mild season) and aim to have it in the water East 2015, latest!

Did you get my note on the winches?

Trevor

hello kimbo

your eagle looks great... did you paint it gold ? or was it already that way... mine was grey and inside the boat when I got it... I painted mine gold and mounted it t the same place you did... under it I put the boats name... my wife named both my boats.... our Kittiwake is "Xing Fu" (pronounced sing foo).... it means happy boat.... my Morgan 35' sailboat she named "kai Xin Yuan".... it means happy home... she call the big boat our home on the water....

have you had a chance to sail your "Valhalla" yet ?

sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello bimbo

yes... I got your note.... send a reply tomorrow after the post office.... good lookin boat you got there.... the Kittiwake is a special little coastal cruiser....

sincerely
Jess