solar panel elevated stern mounting methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I need to know what methods are used to install the ss tubing rack to the seats on a cat 250 to mount my 2 ea. 80 watt panels. I tried to find it in past posts but could not. Thanks, Chief

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Great article. I've been doing some research on solar panels on boats, and that just about answered everything I was wondering about. Someone else was asking questions on another one of the Hunter forums. I'll have to share it there.

Nov 26, 2012
It really is an excellent article but since I am a Electronic Engineer I know most of that stuff, but thanks as it is an excellent reference for future use. What I need to know is the mechanics of how to clamp the vertical stainless steel tubing to the rear seats on a cat 250 for a 7' overhead mount across the stern to hold 2 ea 80 watt panels. I have not been able to find the right brackets for attaching the frame. Thanks,Chief

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I mounted a 100 watt solar panel to the aft pulpit of my Capri 22. No drilling except for a through hole for the wiring into the boat.

Occasionally, someone suggests making it pivot for more sail area for the downwind leg. It is used to charge the batteries for the Torqeedo motor. It is on a mooring so it never gets a shore charge!

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
stainless fram

What you are looking for is SS hardware for a Bimini frame and try looking in Marine Part Depot,I got all my SS hardware for making my solar frame and just need to get some SS tubing.
Nick

Nov 26, 2012
Thanks guys, I finally found all the hardware I need to use. The project was furthur complicated by the fact that it must readily come down for transport on boat trailer.
Chief

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It really is an excellent article but since I am a Electronic Engineer I know most of that stuff, but thanks as it is an excellent reference for future use. What I need to know is the mechanics of how to clamp the vertical stainless steel tubing to the rear seats on a cat 250 for a 7' overhead mount across the stern to hold 2 ea 80 watt panels. I have not been able to find the right brackets for attaching the frame. Thanks,Chief
Your best bet is probably to measure then custom order a pre-made heavy walled SS bimini frame then mount the panels to the bimini frame using Gemini mounts. No canvas, just the frame and then you buy the tube and fittings to make it a free standing frame (strapless)...

I see far to many poorly and unsafely executed solar installs. Two 80W panels at 7' is a lot of load on a pushpit by the time you get done with all the added weight of the panels & mounting accessories...

A good 1" heavy walled "strapless" bimini frame will do fine but will still wobble if not cross braced (see images below) to the stern push pit or toe rail.

Just to give an example this was a poorly constructed and installed 1" thin walled SS three bow bimini on a 41 footer. With only the canvas it was swinging more than 6" side to side in lumpy seas..... With canvas and bimini's you get what you pay for..... Doh'......

Before adding an ultra-light Solbian panel, about 6 pounds, this was the level of reinforcement needed to make this a safe install.

Before Reinforcements (a strap bimini):

After Reinforcements (a strapless bimini):

And this is all that was added, very light weight:

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks guys, I finally found all the hardware I need to use. The project was furthur complicated by the fact that it must readily come down for transport on boat trailer.
Chief
The rear pulpit mounted solar panel on my Capri 22 stays on while trailering. The mast rests above the panel supported by a Mastup Mast Stepper.

Nov 26, 2012
jepomer: Great concept! I will adjust its height to allow that if I can. Chief

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
When I purchased and installed my panel, I had a totally different concept it mind. I wasn't about to spend an obscene amount of money on to "marine" parts. But the parts I was going to get were designed for outdoor use.

My concept...

The panel was going to be mounted on a satellite TV back assembly. This would allow me to adjust the elevation angle of the panel to always match the right angle to the sun. Granted it does not have to be moved much, but the average angle at my marina is about 53 degrees. (This takes into account the highest angle and lowest angles during the two solstice.)

The back assembly would be attached to a home satellite mount with a pole of about 40 inches. This is not 7 feet, I know, but with some additional thought about it, the height could be raised a little more.

Because the satellite back assembly has a friction mount, one can adjust the azimuth angle (0-360 degrees) so the panel will always point to the sun. That is if one wishes to do that. But if one transients another marina, the angle might not right so the friction mount comes in handy to rotate the panel.

I still am planning this but for now, my panel is on the stern rail with insulated rubber clamps and PVC support stand. It works like a charm and I am glad that I installed the panel.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
When I purchased and installed my panel, I had a totally different concept it mind. I wasn't about to spend an obscene amount of money on to "marine" parts. But the parts I was going to get were designed for outdoor use.

My concept...

The panel was going to be mounted on a satellite TV back assembly. This would allow me to adjust the elevation angle of the panel to always match the right angle to the sun. Granted it does not have to be moved much, but the average angle at my marina is about 53 degrees. (This takes into account the highest angle and lowest angles during the two solstice.)

The back assembly would be attached to a home satellite mount with a pole of about 40 inches. This is not 7 feet, I know, but with some additional thought about it, the height could be raised a little more.

Because the satellite back assembly has a friction mount, one can adjust the azimuth angle (0-360 degrees) so the panel will always point to the sun. That is if one wishes to do that. But if one transients another marina, the angle might not right so the friction mount comes in handy to rotate the panel.

I still am planning this but for now, my panel is on the stern rail with insulated rubber clamps and PVC support stand. It works like a charm and I am glad that I installed the panel.

Pictures please??

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Pictures please??
It is a WIP (work in progress) of a conceptual design that is still in my mind. LOL If and when I proceed, I will document what I do. I think for us coastal/day sailors, this might be a solution.

So you know what I was talking about, here are some links to the products mentioned.

Mounting pole:
http://www.amazon.com/40-Inch-Antenna-Mounting-Hardware-included/dp/B002GBWLMQ/ref=pd_ybh_5

Satellite dish back assembly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Satelli...ntenna_Dish_Mounting_Gear&hash=item4ac51cb080

Yes, the concept is flawed, but the theory is sound. Just need to work out the devil in the details.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Only slightly off topic (since the outboard gets its power from solar)

Jepoemer, if you dont mind, what is the peak motoring speed you get with that 24 volt Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 and your Capri 22? (no wind, no current..)

Jan 22, 2008
Only slightly off topic (since the outboard gets its power from solar)

Jepoemer, if you dont mind, what is the peak motoring speed you get with that 24 volt Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 and your Capri 22? (no wind, no current..)
I regularly get at least 5 knots (just under hull speed) even when going against wind and current. I can do this for almost 2 hours. The motor is equivalent to the Nissan 5 HP that came with the boat. The motor comes with a 12' x 10" propeller.

If throttled back to 4 knots, the battery bank (24 vdc, 210 amp-hour) will last 8 hours. At 2.5 knots the battery bank lasts for over 16 hours. At this speed, the solar panel is making a significant contribution to the capacity so it would be more than 16 hours with good day light.

I found the claims made by Torqeedo are very accurate.

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Thanks for posting that.. Cool setup you have, I think that would work for me also..

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for posting that.. Cool setup you have, I think that would work for me also..
MAJOR COMPONENTS:
Four GC2 batteries from Sam's Club - $320
100 watt Solarland solar panel - $300
Genasun 8A 24V Boost MPPT Controller - $200

MISC COMPONENTS (but can add up quickly):
battery cables #2 wire (I used #4 cable but would do it using #2 next time - less voltage drop)
1" split-rail fittings
1" stainless steel tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.