Lewmar Winch Manuals and Spares - older winches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My winches are due for maintenance, and I am having difficulty finding service manuals, or even identifying the winches. I'd like to definitively identify them, get the service manuals, and buy spares. I'm afraid this may be tough since there is no mention whatsoever of my winches on Lewmar's site (that I can find).

I have a 1984 Catalina 36 with the following:

Primaries; 2-speed self tailing #48 - with socket head cap screws holding black top caps, and with chrome strippers.

Secondaries: 1-speed self tailing #16 - with black, one-piece stripper nut/top caps.

I found Volume II of an old Lewmar winch service manual, and it might do the trick, but I can't find Volume I.

I'd also like to know if any of my parts, with old part numbers, cross to newer part numbers for the same part - like the pawls and pawl springs.

Thanks!

jv

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We have an '86 boat with pretty much the same winches (46&30). In 1999 or so i bought a Lewmar winch kit with pawls, springs, & grease. I personally don't know if they make different pawls for different winches or even if they have different "kits" for different winches. Back then I didn't even think to ask, and the
"kit" still works for me. There's not much more inside the winches than you'll find in any generic reference book, like Calder's. This is the kit I bought (WM #s) Lewmar WMP 271221 & 182347

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Post some pictures and that will help others to help you.

I can get springs and pawls at local chandleries individually and in kits. The same ones fitted my #6, #16 and #42 winches.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
My winches are Lewmars from the early 80's. When I contacted Lewmar, they sent me a spring/pawls (I believe there is only 1 size as we have a variety of winches and all the pawls/springs they sent are the same) kit w/ grease and warned me to be extremely careful not to lose any parts when doing the rebuild, as they probably couldn't supply any replacements. I use a cardboard box w/ a hole cut to the size of the base to work in. So far, so good.
On the Lewmar site they have detailed rebuild instructions for most of their winches in Adobe format and they are very helpful if you need some advice.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there is a company in th UK called winch spares that can help with older parts that are no longer in production ...mind you they are not cheap but they do have most of what one needs.....http://www.winchspares.com/

regards

woody

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
My winches are due for maintenance, and I am having difficulty finding service manuals, or even identifying the winches. I'd like to definitively identify them, get the service manuals, and buy spares. I'm afraid this may be tough since there is no mention whatsoever of my winches on Lewmar's site (that I can find).

I have a 1984 Catalina 36 with the following:

Primaries; 2-speed self tailing #48 - with socket head cap screws holding black top caps, and with chrome strippers.

Secondaries: 1-speed self tailing #16 - with black, one-piece stripper nut/top caps.

I found Volume II of an old Lewmar winch service manual, and it might do the trick, but I can't find Volume I.

I'd also like to know if any of my parts, with old part numbers, cross to newer part numbers for the same part - like the pawls and pawl springs.

Thanks!

jv
Try Florida Rigging and hydraulics

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
My winches are Lewmars from the early 80's. When I contacted Lewmar, they sent me a spring/pawls (I believe there is only 1 size as we have a variety of winches and all the pawls/springs they sent are the same) kit w/ grease and warned me to be extremely careful not to lose any parts when doing the rebuild, as they probably couldn't supply any replacements. I use a cardboard box w/ a hole cut to the size of the base to work in. So far, so good.
On the Lewmar site they have detailed rebuild instructions for most of their winches in Adobe format and they are very helpful if you need some advice.
yes... Capta is right. Don't let this overwhelm you. Take some photos as you disassemble for reference. These ares only going to back together one way! From what I recall... you can't get it wrong. What ever you do... don't loose any of the main parts! I have a bent feeder arm on a Lewmar 43 (83 Vintage) that I can't seem to replace.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks

Thanks so far to everyone who replied.

I failed to mention that one of my 16's has a real problem, in that under load it jams about once per revolution, and can only continue once the pressure is off. I'm hoping it's just a pawl or pawl spring, and nothing else. It's coming totally apart Saturday morning, so we'll see.

I have spares kits I bought 13 years ago in West Marine that at the time I thought were for my 16's and 48's, I hope I was right.

I'm a bit peeved that Lewmar sees fit to discontinue support of these, even to the extent of not having documentation for them on their web site.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Not all Lewmar pawls are the same size. There are small pawls, and large pawls. Generally the size 50+ Ocean series use the large pawls. Both use the same size springs. The pawls and springs, and bearings are the parts that wear out in normal use, so if you can still get them you should be good.

If I couldn't get these normal wear-and-tear winch parts I would replace my winches with newer models. Winches can be dangerous and ignoring them can reward a skipper with a nasty, avoidable injury.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks so far to everyone who replied.

I failed to mention that one of my 16's has a real problem, in that under load it jams about once per revolution, and can only continue once the pressure is off. I'm hoping it's just a pawl or pawl spring, and nothing else. It's coming totally apart Saturday morning, so we'll see.

I have spares kits I bought 13 years ago in West Marine that at the time I thought were for my 16's and 48's, I hope I was right.

I'm a bit peeved that Lewmar sees fit to discontinue support of these, even to the extent of not having documentation for them on their web site.
In talking with my rigger about my ST-44's, he's seen the same issue prematurely too, he said Lemar stops supporting a product at about 7 years beyond discontinuation. He said some items they will have stock on well beyond 7 years but popular parts run out quickly after they discontinue support....

I have not personally confirmed this beyond him, but he is a large Lewmar dealer so I take his word as fairly accurate..

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
In the midst of all of this discussion - when my wife was taking sailing 101 you failed the course if you left the winch handle in after grinding or if you wrapped the sheet around your hand whilst tailing or if you allowed a dangerous nest of it to form or if you failed to cleat it off.

Another thing, when all is quiet turn the winch slowly by hand. The clicking of the pawls should be crisp and distinctive, on each of my winches I can hear two separate clicks as they never quite go over the edge at the same time. That tells a lot about the condition - its amazing what you can hear just by listening.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
In the midst of all of this discussion - when my wife was taking sailing 101 you failed the course if you left the winch handle in after grinding or if you wrapped the sheet around your hand whilst tailing or if you allowed a dangerous nest of it to form or if you failed to cleat it off.

Another thing, when all is quiet turn the winch slowly by hand. The clicking of the pawls should be crisp and distinctive, on each of my winches I can hear two separate clicks as they never quite go over the edge at the same time. That tells a lot about the condition - its amazing what you can hear just by listening.
Many of the Ocean Series winches have four pawls in them in two separate pawl gears.. Not as easy to hear as the older two pawl winches.

Status
Not open for further replies.