Modify batten pockets on H170 main sail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Hi all, we are wondering if it is possible to change the 2 lower batten pockets on our H170 main sail. The top batten is held in with a velcro system that works fine, but the lower 2 are sewn into the sail. Why did they use two completely different batten techniques on the same sail??

Anyway, the sewn in battens make it hard to properly fold and store the sail, so we would like to change them to either a velcro system like the top batten, or a push-pocket (bit of spring material at the bottom of the pocket that pushes the batten into a pocket at the luff).

Has anyone done a mod like this?

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
An interesting proposal. If you went for a full batten design you'd have a lot of shape control for varied wind conditions I think.

Nov 5, 2012
Catalina 36 Mumbai
You can change it to Velcro or an elastic system. But I think this is not required. Try folding your sail in a different manner.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
You can change it to Velcro or an elastic system. But I think this is not required. Try folding your sail in a different manner.
No matter how you fold, it will be at least as long in one dimension as the batten itself (about 3 feet).

I made this modification and it is working well. I'll post pictures and instructions when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.