About to buy a Hunter 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2011
Hunter 1980 H33-C Annapolis
the 1980 model had 22 gallon fuel and 48 gallon water, put replacing the fuel tank with a plastic moeller on your list. the 30 year old aluminum is suspect at best, by the way at first you will wonder if something is wrong with the engine but it really does burn that little! :dance:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The aluminum tank on my buddy's '78 model had corrosion all across the bottom. We found the plastic fuel filler cap had a crack in it that was letting in rainwater .. If you have a metal cap or a new plastic cap.. .corrosion isn't as likely.. but as Redbeard says, be thinking about it. The good thing is that the tank can be gotten out without major surgery .. it is tight and requires some contortions, but it can come out.

Jun 3, 2004
'79 Hunter 33' HUN33190M79L Olympia
The photo to the left is the actual cover of my original owners manual, which I have on the boat. I'll be there this weekend (I hope!) if you need the exact specs. I also have the manual for the Yanmar 2QM15, both in paper and PDF versions. It has to be in the running for the best internal combustion engine ever made. Mine has zero corrosion or visible wear in the water passages or combustion chambers and runs like a dream.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
.... I also have the manual for the Yanmar 2QM15, both in paper and PDF versions. It has to be in the running for the best internal combustion engine ever made. Mine has zero corrosion or visible wear in the water passages or combustion chambers and runs like a dream.
I think same for the Yanmar 2Qm20. I can't imagine that my engine performed much better 33 years ago than it does now. Of course at this age, anything might happen. But the thing is clean, doesn't leak anything anywhere, doesn't smoke, and still happily reaches the rated rpm when pushed. I see no evidence of any impending problem.

Jun 21, 2007
The photo to the left is the actual cover of my original owners manual, which I have on the boat. I'll be there this weekend (I hope!) if you need the exact specs. I also have the manual for the Yanmar 2QM15, both in paper and PDF versions. It has to be in the running for the best internal combustion engine ever made. Mine has zero corrosion or visible wear in the water passages or combustion chambers and runs like a dream.
Also, here is a link to the drawings/specifications of the Cherubini 33 excerpted from the owner's manual.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=79

And also on the SBO site, if you click on the resources button (near the top), then downloads, you should be able to navigate to various files and pdf's that may be of interest.

Jun 25, 2009
Hunter 33 Seabrooke, Houston
Hunter 33

I am going to have to explore her out, get used to everything and learn where things are all at. Anyone know how large the fuel tank is in these? I was told about 30 gallons so I just want to confirm. Also I don't remember how big he said the fresh water tank was.

I will add my sweet nothings to the list; I got my H33 ( 1982) soon after Ike: she had come out of the water and rested against some buildings. I was offered the boat for $ 1000.00 ( one thousand), so I thought of scavenging it for the motor, etc and make some money... until I got into her bowl. I decided to restore instaead, found a salvage yard with the exact same boat, repaired the deep 10 feet gouges on starboard, re-stained the wood, etc, and have enjoyed her ever since. Have not sailed for a couple of months, but look forward to do so. From every report I could find, I was assured this was a very good sturdy boat, and have proved it to be right.
Happy sailing! Curious as to what you paid for it! Please send pictures soonest

Dec 19, 2010
Hunter 33 New Orleans, LA
Well, I have to say so far I been loving this boat, seems pretty awesome. Funny part is, I have not even took her out yet LOL. Well other then the sail we done a little over a week ago. No rush, I am just setting things up and fixing things like I want. I put in all new stainless steel applicances and I also polished all the interior wood. She certainly looks more 'alive' since I got a hold of her. I am sure I will take her out within the next few days. I will have to post some pics up here so you all can see. I find this boat has an amazing amount of storage.

@rardiH36 very helpful link thanks!

Dec 19, 2010
I am trying to figure out where to refill my fresh water tank. I know the tank itself is up front but I can't find the fill for the life of me. I thought it was in the anchor locker but I don't see it. Maybe I am overlooking it? I think the tank is empty since the pump is not coming on anymore and I am not getting water. Would an empty tank cause the pump to no longer run?

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Pump will run but not turn off as there is no pressure buildup. Fill is in the anchor locker. Might have burned out the pump.

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
I've had my 1983 H33C (last one built) since 1997. I think I like it.

Dec 19, 2010
I found the fill hole, put about 4 gallons of water in pump still don't engage. I don't even hear the pump getting electric power when I flip the switch like I did before. Does these pumps have a fuse somewhere? If so maybe a fuse burned out, I will have to look at that electric diagram again. I only found the switch panel, no fuse box so far. Someone told me the switch box is the fuse box but I doubt it since nothing there appears to be able to be removed to replace a fuse. I think I am going to put in a new water pump anyway, seems easy enough to replace it. No telling how old it is, it very well could be the original.

Jun 21, 2007
Hi-

Before you buy a new pump, at least connect the pump to a known good 12V source ... see if it does anything. Or put a volt meter on the +/- wires at the pump to verify that it is getting the 12V.

When the tank on my boat is dry and I flip the water pump switch/breaker at the electrical panel, the pump makes a noticeable vibrating noise.

If yours does the same with a good 12v source, then the pump likely is ok, but the 12v to it is missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.