Should I replace seacocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McZube

Apr 5, 2012
Hunter 31 Chesapeake Bay, MD
We bought our boat less than a year ago and the surveyor recommended replacing the thru-hulls. We plan to do that when we haul the boat next month. But should we replace the seacocks, too? Or just clean and lube? Will it be obvious to me whether they need to be replaced?

Thanks

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
What was the reason to replace the thru-hulls? Not every installation is as good as the last.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
It may be more cost effective to do them both at the same time....ie, if you have to pay per hour, removing the seacocks such that they can be reused, you may spend more in labor than simply buying new ones. This way if the seacock is damaged or needs repair you have the new one on hand, also the yard need not be worried about preserving the seacock in removing the thruhulls....I have seen them hack saw or hammer the seacock or use it as a leverage point in removing the thru hull, when they know that they do not need to save them.

If the seacocks are of reputable manufacture and materials, they can likely be reused, will likely need cleaning and perhaps lapping the surfaces as well as lubricating them. Some of the older gear is of far better make than the new stuff. If ANY have issues now, then replacement while you are out of the water is less stressful, than an emergency haul and hang to repair or replace.

Make sure that any leak stoppers currently in place, will work with the newly installed gear. Checking the backing plates and hull penetrations should also be done while hauled. Don't forget the electronic and engine thru hulls either.

Best of luck.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
without knowing any details about the condition/installation of your current though hulls it is difficult to comment. If your surveyor said replace them...there is probably a good reason to replace them. Can you provide any additional info?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
We bought our boat less than a year ago and the surveyor recommended replacing the thru-hulls. We plan to do that when we haul the boat next month. But should we replace the seacocks, too? Or just clean and lube? Will it be obvious to me whether they need to be replaced?

Thanks
This may seem obvious, but why don't you call the surveyor for a more detailed explanation if you feel the report is vague?

McZube

Apr 5, 2012
Hunter 31 Chesapeake Bay, MD
He recommended replacing them because they were visibly deteriorating. I considered calling him to ask but wasn't sure if he could recall from memory whether the seacocks were in need of replacement.

It should be easy to determine whether they need to be replaced once the boat is out of the water. I was asking because I'm trying to get an idea of what the total spring project is going to cost.

Thanks.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
If he said to replace because they are deteriorating..... I would replace everything. Small price to pay

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
He recommended replacing them because they were visibly deteriorating. I considered calling him to ask but wasn't sure if he could recall from memory whether the seacocks were in need of replacement.

It should be easy to determine whether they need to be replaced once the boat is out of the water. I was asking because I'm trying to get an idea of what the total spring project is going to cost.

Thanks.
well, you'll never know unless you ask him. If you're going to wait til haulout before you decide to replace the seacocks....... make two budgets.

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan

Thanks
Are the seacocks gate valves or ball valves? If gate valves, and they are deteriorating, replace them.

My $0.02 worth.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Your entire boat's seaworthiness rests on the integrity of the thru hulls and seacock. Why would you want to risk your boat and possibly your life (or someone else's) for the cost of a seacock?

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
McZube

If your thru hulls and “seacock’s” are the originals from Hunter you probably have gate valves (pictures). If that is the case they are defiantly overdue for replacement!

I ran in to the same issue when I bought my new to me H31 2 seasons ago.
Attached is a link to some of the available information here on the forum (a great source)….

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=959470&highlight=H31 thru

Regards, Mike

Thanks
Yes, especially if their the plastic type.....and several years old... FYI, you can change them while the boat is in the water.....just use bread. screw off the valve, stuff bread in the hole, (take your time) place plumbers tape on the threads and reinstall the new valve.

Apr 22, 2007
Hunter 410 onekama, mi
I am in the process of upgrading the thru hulls in our 2000 H410. I found the largest thru hull 1-1/4 galley sink drain was POORLY bedded from the factory and would leak when flexed! Also the hull at that location was only 3/8" thick. Our thru hulls themselves don't "show" any deterioration so that is an iffy call to replace or not. At the age of yours and if they show deterioration I would.
What I did do was use Groco Flanged Adaptors with a fiberboard (NOT STARBOARD) backer as per instructions on this link.

Compass Marine "How To" Articles

It's a doable project for someone reasonably handy with access to some tools. Probably the most important tool is 3M Specialty Adheasive Remover quart size at your auto parts store. Not inexpensive but way cheaper than the remover from the marine store. You can make a thru hull puller out of a block of wood, threaded rod, nuts and washers.
What you will have are bullet proof thru hulls, proper thread matching and ease of future valve changes. Just a side note do everything you can to control distruction of underwater metals! Whole other topic.

Jul 22, 2012
Hunter 460 Deltaville, VA
Seacocks

Seacocks on many boats are bronze ball valves with SS ball assemblies. Inspect for corrosion especially the threads. be sure that the valve operates freely. If you have any doubts, replace. The cost is relatively low v. having to haul out again.

L.Lipscomb

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
I would definitely replace the seacocks. You can find good metal seacocks for around $200 each, or Marelon for around $100 right here in SBO's store. MaineSail has an excellent posting on how to do this, which I followed when replacing all 3 seacocks and thru-hulls on my 37-C. It's a lot easier than it seems at first glance.

The real question to ask here - how much is peace of mind worth?

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33 Toronto

Thanks
Hi,

I bought my 1981 Hunter 33 (Cherubin designi) in 2002. At the time the surveyer commented that I ought to "keep an eye" on the gate valves, as the insurance people prefer they be ball valves. I "exercise" them 2ice a year, to insure that they move freely, and any new thru-hulls have gate valves, but if they move freely and don't leak or bind, why bother? I am much more concerned with "soft" or improperly clamped hoses, than with the valves. There are several obvious advantages to ball valves, but they too, need "exercising". My $.02 anyway.

Nov 23, 2011
Hunter H31 Kent Island Yacht Club
Hi just finished having two replaced, the sink and the engine.
I had the gate valves as mentioned above. I just didn't have confidence
in knowing that the were funtional. My mechanic did it with three bolt ball
type valves. He removed the old through hulls, routed a lip, drilled and sealed
the screws. then Sealed the through hulls to the hull.
Before getting it done, make sure your confident in the mechanic and he knows
how to do it.
Good Luck
Mark Nooney
Dream Too

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Main had a very informative and disquieting article some time ago pointing out that many seacocks are not properly installed at their bases. Even if the unit looked serviceable, now might be the time to take a look at the points he made.

Status
Not open for further replies.