About to buy a Hunter 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2010
Hunter 33 New Orleans, LA
I have an H33 that I am about to sign the contract on in a couple days. I am going from an Oday 22 so this 33 is a good step up in size for me and will be my 3rd sailboat. For one...I will be using it for an off and on liveaboard. Basically, a few days a week in the beginning so more or less just staying on it. If I like that lifestyle I may actually decide as a full time liveaboard for a few reasons...one being I find it difficult to take care of my boats when I live over an hour away from the marina. If I would stay on board, I can keep her in excellent condition and less worry about something happening should I be away from it for a few weeks. Then a big plus is I can get much more sailing time! Next if I were to make it a full time deal, I will save hundreds a month on rent. Last, this one has plenty enough room for me and a girlfriend so I think it passes the live aboard test easy.

I live in the New Orleans area. I will be mostly using it for sails in Lake Ponchartrain and along the gulf coast to all the barrier islands. After I get comfortable with the boat, I may want to venture out to the keys or Bahamas. That is the most I will ever do, not looking to try to make passages across the oceans or attempt a circumnavigate. My main question here is, would the H33 be a good boat for a trip from New Orleans to the Keys or Bahamas? Just trying to get an idea.

This one I am looking at getting is in really nice shape and it is a 1979, I like everything about it. It's one of those rare boats that appear to have been taking care of her entire life. Everything intact, nothing broken, it all works. Much of it is still original, which I was finding very hard to believe since I could swear some of it looks as if it was purchased a month ago! The only main thing I wanted that she does not have is a roller fuller head sail. I will have to upgrade that.

Anyway, I am sure I will have more questions here if I do decide to get her and so far it's looking like that. Last, anything important things I should know about this model?

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
I don't have a 33, mine is a 79 H30, but let me say congratulations! I went from a Catalina 22 to my H30, and what a difference. You are going to love it. I wouldn't hesitate to take my 30 on any of the adventures that you mention, so I think you have a great plan. Enjoy!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You may want to look up this boat in the owners directory. Hopefully it is not a salvage.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My only comment relates to your premise that a live-aboard will be easier to maintain and sail. If you are like many, you will generate a lot more stuff which requires stowing before sailing making it more of an effort. Also, a live-aboard typically puts much more wear on a boat through constant use of all systems which results in more maintenance than less. Sometimes the perception masks the realities.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I used to sail a lot on a friend's 33 and you'll find that she sails very well and is a good stout boat. The 2 QM Yanmar is almost bulletproof..We've made several runs from Mandeville to Pensacola both outside the islands and inside.. With good prep, your cruise aspirations to the Keys and Bahamas is certainly do-able ! Congrats ..

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys!

My only comment relates to your premise that a live-aboard will be easier to maintain and sail. If you are like many, you will generate a lot more stuff which requires stowing before sailing making it more of an effort. Also, a live-aboard typically puts much more wear on a boat through constant use of all systems which results in more maintenance than less. Sometimes the perception masks the realities.
This here is some great advice, something I never thought about and certainly something to think about! Thanks for mentioning.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Fabulous, well-built, seaworthy boat. Sails like a freight train upwind if it is the deep draft model. I don't think I would like the shoal draft one. A bit of a bear steering downwind but doable with enough sail up. Excellent interior design for its size. Most liveable. The roller furling headsail is a very good idea.

Oct 25, 2011
Hunter 1980 H33-C Annapolis
you wont regret it! I find my H33-C to be the PERFECT blend of small boat fun and large boat comfort. I have stripped mine to bare hull, about halfway through renovation, even scrubbing the hull brings a smile to my face....

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Cherubim 33-77-82 (1980) Pebble Isl, Johnsonville, TN
Buy it and don't look back... a wonderful boat... We own a 1980 Cherubini Hunter 33... our first sail boat and only boat... had her going on 7 years... I'm 74 and single hand with no problem... Congratulations and enjoy...

Jan 13, 2011
Hunter 33 (78 Cherubini) Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
Your will probably hear from the many of us who own this boat. The love for the designer, and the boat is unmatched. I lived aboard my boat for over a year. As mentioned earlier, no boat is big enough for all the "stuff." I rented a storage unit and stored everything I did not need on the boat. It was close enough to get to quickly, and saved room in the boat.

Most of us use the boat for a several years and then make it our own. I am in the middle of a refit (cushions, sink, cabinet redo, plumbing, new PSS, transmission overhaul, ect). You expect a boat of this age to need upgrades and replacement in order to carry you to the places you want to go. Many of us do our own work so we get to know our systems. The boat is easy to work on and fun to sail. She has enough room to make you comfortable and enough storage to keep everything in it's place.

I have been to a number of sailboat shows. I always come back to my 33 as she remains the best combination of all the things I look for in a boat.

You will find that those who know these boats....love them unconditionally.

Join us!

Jun 3, 2004
'79 Hunter 33' HUN33190M79L Olympia
I have the same model and year. I've never been more wrong about something than the buyer's remorse I had the night after I bought it. It has given me and my family much fun and adventure along with the hard work and reasonable expense. Congrats!

Ed H

Sep 15, 2010
Hunter 33_77-83 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
Hey Sailguy- Final decision yet? We love our 1981 Hunter 33. It has carried us through a couple of really bad storms..... Is the price reasonable? Ours was in very good shape and I figured that it probably will not depreciate much if we maintain it. If it turns out to be too small for post-retirement cruising, I hope to get back the bulk of the purchase price. Ed H

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
This one I am looking at getting is in really nice shape and it is a 1979, I like everything about it. It's one of those rare boats that appear to have been taking care of her entire life. Everything intact, nothing broken, it all works. Much of it is still original, which I was finding very hard to believe since I could swear some of it looks as if it was purchased a month ago!

Anyway, I am sure I will have more questions here if I do decide to get her and so far it's looking like that. Last, anything important things I should know about this model?
Have the 82/83 model and love it. It is hard to discribe the sailing quality but I've not found anything better; some equal. She is a decent performer, has solid bones, and is easy to work on if that is what you like to do. I bought mine in Octoberof 2011 after having sailed a Tanzer 26 for 4 years and comparing 75 boats in the 30-40 foot range. Without considering price, it was 14 out of 75. Considering price/value it was number 1. I thought the T26 was a great boat but now I know what I was missing; storage, headroom, comfort, stability. The H33C will serve you well.

Good luck with your decision.

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks for all the input guys! Well my mind is made up and I do intend to get her as long as nothing major comes back on the survey. Nothing I could see was wrong with this boat so I highly doubt that. I should be meeting with the yacht broker within the next few days (weather permitting), going to do a sea trial, get a haul out, and pressure wash. She was listed for 10k, I can get for 9k and from what I know about boats and their value, I am satisfied with that. It does not have much in the electronics department like GPS and things of that nature nor is there a roller furler. How this boat has much of it's original equipment in tact and working is beyond my understanding. I mean it's a 1979 for goodness sake which is over 30 years old! Certainly carries her age well. Like one of those women who are in their 50's but hot and can pass for mid 30's.

I am one of those guys who likes to make things look fancy. It's like a second hobby to me and hey it's just fun. One look at my Oday will show that, for example I have made a new tiller handle and engraved my boat's name on it. I even have a storage hatch cover I made with the boat's name and a fancy anchor engraved on it. I have a couple pictures hanging inside my cabin with gold frames. My paper towel holder, even that is gold. I recently made new companionway hatches and bought a stainless steel vent for them, I spray painted the vent with glossy gold paint. I love the look of gold on freshly stained and varnished wood. If I do all of this to an Oday 22 what is going to happen to this poor Hunter? Sounds like she will end up with all bronze ports, tinted glass and that glossy wood shine throughout. If she is indeed my last boat, don't be surprised if she slowly ends up looking like a small version of this... :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw04mj8lNcY&list=FL3-nxoyaczTQcdA7gT2dTTw&index=54

I will post some pics when I get her for before and after comparisons. The boat will be sailed a lot but won't work too hard. She will mostly go out in nice weather only and live like a beauty queen. :D

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I agree with Sandpiper and Redbeard-- the H33 gen-1 is probably the best of the early Hunters in terms of size, affordability, performance, style and quality-build. Good choice-- now join the conversations in these boards and post all your pictures! :)

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks everyone for all the input. I did buy the boat today, we took it out for a sea trial and she sails like a dream. Those who were saying it is fast was right. We were hitting a steady 7.4 to 7.8 knots. Not sure what her hull speed is but I imagine close to that?

Sep 26, 2011
Hunter 33_77-83 Cedar Creek Sailing Center, NJ
Thanks everyone for all the input. I did buy the boat today, we took it out for a sea trial and she sails like a dream. Those who were saying it is fast was right. We were hitting a steady 7.4 to 7.8 knots. Not sure what her hull speed is but I imagine close to that?
You will find she will do that with just the headsail on a beam reach and 12 knots of wind. Great fun to be had by you and all who sail with you.

Dec 19, 2010
I am going to have to explore her out, get used to everything and learn where things are all at. Anyone know how large the fuel tank is in these? I was told about 30 gallons so I just want to confirm. Also I don't remember how big he said the fresh water tank was.

Status
Not open for further replies.