what can I tow a Macgregor 26x with for cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Keep the engine and transmission cool

I pulled by Catalina 22 for years with a Ford Ranger, 3.0 liter, auto trans with 243 rear end standard cab. This was done here in the western Pennsylvania mountains.

I installed a engine oil and transmission cooler. The oil cooler used a larger filter and was relocated on the frame adding over 2 quarts to the oil system. My boat is always loaded with more stuff than the average, so the weight would be close to the 26x. I’ve pulled it up hills in the range of 6 to 9% grade for a mile and half at 15 miles an hour without the temperature gage moving. I though about changing the rear end to higher gears but with never having any problems I never did.

The truck was small so I never pulled over 55 miles an hour and keep the speed down to 40 to 45 when descending hills.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Don't think that'd cut it, as the Mac 26x is considerably larger a boat...and much heavier.
I pulled by Catalina 22 for years with a Ford Ranger, 3.0 liter, auto trans with 243 rear end standard cab. This was done here in the western Pennsylvania mountains.

I installed a engine oil and transmission cooler. The oil cooler used a larger filter and was relocated on the frame adding over 2 quarts to the oil system. My boat is always loaded with more stuff than the average, so the weight would be close to the 26x. I’ve pulled it up hills in the range of 6 to 9% grade for a mile and half at 15 miles an hour without the temperature gage moving. I though about changing the rear end to higher gears but with never having any problems I never did.

The truck was small so I never pulled over 55 miles an hour and keep the speed down to 40 to 45 when descending hills.

Jansen

Jan 20, 2007
McGregor 26S Mobile, AL
I pull my 92 26c with a Dodge caravan with a 3.3 engine. Does fine. Your 26x is heavier but I towed a Mac25 with the van ok.

Oct 22, 2008
Again, what can tow the boat, and what can tow the boat safely are two different things. I seriously doubt the Dodge Caravan is rated to tow anything as heavy as a Mac 26x on a trailer. If you're towing a boat that is heavier than your vehicles tow rating and you get into an accident, you might find out that your insurance company is going to deny coverage—which is more than likely to happen.

I pull my 92 26c with a Dodge caravan with a 3.3 engine. Does fine. Your 26x is heavier but I towed a Mac25 with the van ok.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
How far are you having to drag this thing? Most farm tractors will do 20 MPH and can safely tow a couple of tons. Just hang an orange fanny sign on the back and head down the road.

sleepy

Jun 30, 2004
- - Port O'Connor
I have heard someone using an used cop car(large model).
I know some of them are made with truck rear-ends(differential)

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
why buy anything at all ??? Keep what you got and pay someone to move it twice a year for you. Since you keep it in a slip you don't really need a tow vehicle. There must be some one (the yard) who will tow your boat to put it in and out each season. I know we have several guys who do that as a part time job. Maybe cost 50 to 100 dollars each way but still cheaper then buying a vehicle, that you don't really need and you will spend that much in gas if you buy a proper size tow vehicle compared to your vw. How about a freind with a full size pick up ? buy him a tank of gas and lunch ! Just another option !

TXTOWMAN ? Would that be a single axle or tandam Peterbuilt ?? duel stacks ??

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
Before I moved to michigan I'd never owned a car or truck, it was motorcycles exclusively.
Used to rent a truck from U-haul whenever I had to haul something.
it works if you leave the boat in the water, but not if it's a boat you haul all the time.

A good option if you'd prefer to hire a driver and truck, would be to talk to a mobile home service, often they'll haul for a flat rate, it depends on the service as to how good the rate is though. there's one up here that you'll often see them heading down the road with boats behind the toters, and putting the boats in at croton.

Ken.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Dont know if you have the boat or tow vehicle yet but one other thing to mention.. If somehow you are able to look up towing specs, they could be based on the trailer having surge brakes (I dont know if this is true or not - just guesing).

A lot of surge brakes on older trailers have not been maintained and dont work. I bought a 1990 old Mac sailboat several years ago and the surge brakes on the trailer did not work. You "can" tow with the surge brakes not working but the larger the vehicle, the less it matters, the smaller, the more it matters and in some cases, you might even get pushed through intersections (for example) trying to stop.

Since this could be somewhat of a safety issue, worth mentioning.

Jul 6, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Farmington Hills MI
For a low cost, fuel efficient vehicle with 3500# tow rating, look at a Buick Rendezvous or Pontiac Aztek. I've towed my Hunter 23.5 thousands of miles with a Rendezvous and it works well. When a US designed vehicle is rated for 3500 pounds, it means engineers like me have pulled such rigs in severe conditions to make sure things are OK. Sure, a long wheelbase full size pickup doesn't have to work as hard, but why waste all the fuel when most of the time you aren't towing anything?

Mar 1, 2010
MacGregor M-26-x Great Salt Lake Marina
I've had personal experience towing my MacGregor 26X with three different vehicles. The first was a 96ish Ford Bronco that pulled it like a dream, very strong towing power, handled wonderfully, even at reasonable freeway speeds (65-70). Would absolutely recommend for towing.

Next I've towed it with a (not sure year, but newer) Toyota 4runner, and though its rated to tow the weight easily, it fishtails badly at any speed over 50 - 55 mph or so. So not safe or really feasible to take on the freeway. But works just fine at lower speeds, though it doesn't feel as stable (the weight of the boat pulls the front suspension up, and the back way down). Would not recommend for towing, except for short distances.

I've also recently pulled it surprisingly well with a '94 Chevy Astro Van. It has a truck frame, and a 6000 lbs towing capacity, and handles nicely. It can go slow freeway speed (60-65) without any fishtailing, the speed is more limited to me not wanting to strain the old motor. No problems pulling it out of the water with full ballast, it has the power, just not the acceleration. Would recommend especially with newer models.

Any of these in older models you could get for relatively cheap, good luck!

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Hi the bigpulse,

Just a question... are you buying a NEW Mac 26X, plus all the other gear you'll need? I'm just wondering about the economics of the whole situation.

Anyway, we went the two-vehicle route. We have a 4-door Civic (built in Canada! :) bought new in 2002, very dependable) and a 4WD Xterra with the 3.3L V6 (built in Kentucky! bought used off-lease). Although we don't quite need it for our boat, I put a Class III hitch on the X. It's been a great tower for us, and I believe it could handle the Mac.

Might be a great time to score a great deal on a Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma ;)

[saltychick - your issue with the 4Runner may have been caused by poor balance of the trailer - eg too much tongue weight. Even our little boat towed better once I got the proper amount of weight on the tongue]

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
If you are going to tow, then do it safely not cheaply. A 26X with a 50hp engine, and trailer, two gas tanks and all the gear required is definitely going to be pushing closer to 4000#. You should have a vehicle rated for class 3 towing (5000#) and a hitch rated for same. It also helps if the tow vehicle has a longer wheel base perhaps 130" or so and also helps if the tow vehicle weighs more than the tow load. You can likely pick up a TrailBlazer or Envoy with the entended wheelbase and tow package with an inline six cylinder on the cheap or a sturdy pick-up truck or pay someone a couple times a year but that can be difficult to arrange. For independence you would be better off getting your own tow vehicle so as not to rely on others. It takes a substantial vehicle to tow those boats around, nothing less than a class 3 tow setup.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I guess you could find something like this 1970's Ford 250 Trailer Special with a 460 cid engine, C-6 transmission and positraction.

Truck gets 12-14 mpg empty and 12 mpg towing regardless if it is a motorcycle or a house.

Oct 22, 2008
I'd point out that any older vehicle capable of towing your boat safely is going to be pretty lousy on gas mileage. If you can afford two vehicles, then that might be a better way to go. I have two vehicles for just this reason. One gets about 31 MPG highway and is used for my day-to-day errand running and commuting. The tow vehicle is lucky to get 15 MPG highway and is used for vacations and moving the boat.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I'm with George. I bought a 25 foot Lancer and used a Dakota with a 3.9 ltr engine to get her 125 mile to home. But . . . when it came to towing my ocean bride, I bought a used F150 with a 5.4 ltr engine. Towing her, we're as long as a semi. I wouldn't trust that to a small vehicle. My truck cost $6800. That wasn't in the budget but it was well spent. I do miss the milage of my little Nissan truck though!

Status
Not open for further replies.