what can I tow a Macgregor 26x with for cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26X Morro Bay
I'm soon to buy a 26x and I'm currently looking to trade in my VW Westfalia for a vehicle capable of towing the ~2500 setup. Can some of you chime in as to what smaller, older, cheaper vehicles you are towing your 26's with. I can only afford older than 2003 and I'm trying to get the best gas mileage possible because the boat will be in slip most of the time, the rest will be daily commute.

Will a Subaru Legacy Wagon (2.0 or 2.2) work for this task.(yes I realize it's not rated, but I want real world response.)
Anyone share experience with a 2001 or so Ford Windstar towing this vessel.

Or should I just get two vehicles and just use a beast to tow, and a hatchback to go.

S

sheddtycoon

owner

I'm soon to buy a 26x and I'm currently looking to trade in my VW Westfalia for a vehicle capable of towing the ~2500 setup. Can some of you chime in as to what smaller, older, cheaper vehicles you are towing your 26's with. I can only afford older than 2003 and I'm trying to get the best gas mileage possible because the boat will be in slip most of the time, the rest will be daily commute.

Will a Subaru Legacy Wagon (2.0 or 2.2) work for this task.(yes I realize it's not rated, but I want real world response.)

Or should I just get two vehicles and just use a beast to tow, and a hatchback to go.
If you are wanting to tow something that big you should have at least a 3/4 ton pickup truck with a v8 engine and it will not get very good gas milage.You have to remember the weight of your boat compared to your tow vehicle.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Rent

Why not just rent a pickup truck for the day you put in and than take out,if we are talking spring and fall,than buy a good commuter car.
Nick

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
You're probably better off getting two separate vehicles.

Getting one that has good gas mileage and the power to tow the 26X is going to be tough. You need a Category III hitch more likely than not and a vehicle rated to tow about 3500 lbs. I doubt that the Subaru Legacy or the Ford Windstar are rated to tow anywhere near that amount.

What might be the best solution is to rent a vehicle to tow the boat when you have to tow it, as seadaddler suggests. You can rent a vehicle a lot of days for what it would cost you to buy one and insure it. :)

Mar 3, 2009
2 22 Heron Lake
My Solution

I own a Catalina 22 and tow it with a 2001 Ford F150. I have recently purchased a Honda Civic for my commute vehicle. Prior to buying the F150, I towed the 22 with a Jeep Wrangler. It worked but I would not recommend it. Of course a 26 is significantly larger and I would concur with the recommendation of the 3/4 ton vehicle (F250) class. You should be able to get one that will work at a fairly reasonable price due to the cost of gas these days. I have found that an old pickup truck pays for itself in many ways if I don't try to drive it every day. My commute is about 20 miles one way. I have also had difficulty trying to rent a tow vehicle for my work on a number of occasions. I was towing a small trailer of scientific equipment across country for experiments. I was never able to rent such a vehicle in Albuquerque NM, other markets may be better.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I had to sell my Westy too. I was going to put a 2.2 Suby in it but opted for the convenience and power of a pickup. Bought a nice 97 f250 with 4x. The 4x is almost as important as the power. I have had to use it several times at the ramp at low tide when the moss is exposed.. Buying an older truck that you can pay cash for will save you from interest cost. I have seen quite a few cross overs at mastup storage that look pretty small. I can't imagine them towing for any great distance, but they seem to do the job at the ramp.
BTW I don't miss my Westy anymore with the boat you get over it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If Not Far nor Often

You could get by with a Crown Vic or a Town Car. The wheel base is about the same as the F-150 and they have the same engine and transmision. Throw on a transmision cooler and air shocks and your all set. I got 28 mpg out of our 97 Gran Marquis and my wife gets 26 with our 03 Town Car almost double what I get with my F-150.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 22 Marina Del Rey, CA CA
I use a 2001 Toyota Highlander and get 21-23 mpg w/o trailer and 15-18 mpg towing. It also has a button called "snow" that starts up in second when the selector is placed in drive, works great for pulling boat out of water, especially since it is front wheel drive (it comes in four wheel drive also.) The typical price of a 2001-2003 is $10,000-$12,000. Be sure to get the V-6 with 220 HP+.
Duane "novelman"

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
You don't need a dedicated tow vehicle...

The Toyota Sienna comes with the factory with a 3500 pound tow rating and the Honda Odyssey can be had with that rating. Decent economy and comfortable rides. I tow 2500 pounds worth of power boat with an '05 Sienna once in a while, including launching/loading and have not have problems. The trailer has hydraulic brakes so stopping is not an issue. No stabilizer so I have to keep the speed down.

Is 2500 your final weight? What about motor and gear?

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I don't see how the 26x and trailer is going to be only 2600 lbs. The boat IIRC is about 2600 lbs by itself, and the trailer must be at least 800-1000 lbs. I think you're numbers are off a bit. I think a 26x with trailer and all gear is going to be closer to 3600 lbs.

4ksb

WHY!

Why buy a 26X in the first place - what's wrong with a yacht that actually sails like a yacht!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I agree - spec weight (empty) is 2350 without the trailer; add 1,000 for the trailer to be safe, plus how much weight for a big outboard motor to make it go fast?

FWIW I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado 4x4 short bed - towing capacity is rated at 8500 pounds with the tow kit. I pull a 2001 Catalina Capri 22 fin keel & trailer with no problem. Specified weight is 2,200 - about 150 pounds less than the 26x. When we first stared looking at "big" boats (as compared to a Capri 16.5 daysailer) we considered the 26X as it was something I could tow without straining the truck. Turned out Verboten came on the market for 1/3 of the cost of a new 26X so that's the way we went.

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
A Ford explorer works gret for towing.
My old beater 92 towed my 2600lbs (bare) boat fully loaded for a weeks sailing with the wife without a grunt. (reese hitch, 3.73 gears, 4.0 v6 with 5spd tranny, and 235/75/15 tires) launched and retrieved it without a problem. That was hauling from Grand rapids mi to holland. When not loaded, for just an afternoon or over night you could almost forget it was there.
My Ariel (5,000+ lbs displacement) is on a 10,000lb capacity flat bed trailer with a 6x6 wood cradle on it, and I have moved it around easily with the explorer. (haven't towed it down the road though, just through a soft muddy field)

Any half ton truck with enough horsepower,weight, and a long wheelbase is good.
Weight can be either supplies loaded in before the trip or in the vehicle itself. A long wheelbase simply because it helps with directional stability. My old '46 willys cj2a with it's 5.38:1 gears would tow nearly anything, but the short little 80" wheelbase meant that by the time you noticed a problem, you were already heading in the other direction.

A pickup is great because they have plenty of room for the incidental things you need to carry, and are very easy to load. I personally prefer an Explorer type (wagon) simply because you can lock everything up to keep the 'casual' thieves at bay.

Ken.

Nov 6, 2007
hunter 18.5 sandhills of west texas
just a thought, but i've been using my 2000 dodge dakota quad cab (first batch sold in texas in 1999) for everything. my job in the oilfield (terrible roads), daily driver, motorcycle picker-upper (all over the country), sailboat hauler, bass boat hauler, runs to the store for whatever i need in or out of the bed, camper, etc. etc. for over 165k, and it's never missed a beat, never been in the shop for anything. oh sure, the power door locks are wonky (it IS a dodge), and it loves its $40 mobil 1 oil changes (diy, easy, takes 15 minutes in your driveway w/ NO jacks required), and it's had 5 sets of tires on it, but it cost me $25k new plus the financing (another $3500), 4wd was an extra $1500 then (which i didn't get), and now a pristine used one will go about $5k (here in texas), with half the miles mine's got. it gets a solid 14-15 towing lots of weight (about 5-6k#), and it gets 20-21mpg on the highway, all day, every day, unloaded, with its stellar 4.7 liter VEE-EIGHT new design engine (you won't lose many drag races fer shur) w/smooth as silk electronic 4spd o/d auto. has room for everybody in the double wall cab. like a jet down the highway with the super comfy seats (rear IS better for shorter adult distances or kids for longer ones, no problem), and you step 'in' the truck like your car, not 'up' into the truck like everybody else. still has 8" of ground clearance. you can stand beside it and reach over into the bed and lay your palm on the bedliner - and i'm 5'9". easiest truck i ever worked out of. bar none. cheap. reliable. simple oil changes. dirt cheap parts for it. NOBODY will steal it. ha! but you likely won't ever sell it. just my nickel's worth... jack b :) in midland, tx usa

ps - did i mention it has about 300 ft. lbs. of torque, and it gets 20mpg, can haul 5-6 full sized (very friendly) adults, pulls 6500#, looks good, runs better and is dirt cheap used??? oh, it also does this on 85 (that's eighty five) octane fuel... you could just about run the thing on oilfield drip gas. never once stumbled on me. i'm thinking about switching over to cng which i can get off my own oil (and nat'l. gas) lease for about 20 cents gasoline gallon equivalent. my partner bought one just like mine, but a year newer and his is even better. my sister-in-law bought one the same year as mine, but it's a 4wd. no problems at all to date. none.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26X Morro Bay
Thank you everyone for your in depth response and dispelling my dreamery of towing with a daily tofu-tower. After more research I've found that you are right, 2500 lbs was ignorant. After I load it with personals, it will be more like 3800.

TheMacWay - Thank you very much for your informative example. It's got me seriously looking for a 2000-2001 quadcab 4x4 right now, I had no idea they could get 20mpg, that's what I get now out of my Westy and is doable, and I didn't know you could get a quad cab so affordable. There's one in my Craigslist "asking" 4k! Much appreciated.

CaGuy - Oh I don't believe I'll have missed my Westy after sold, regardless of boat or not.

4ksb - should I waste my time with this response? why by a mac 26 instead of a yacht. quick: I can't take my yacht to the lake in oregon, the channel islands in under a 5 hours from where I live now, and most important, I can't take a normal yacht camping and use it as an RV. Okay, who am I kidding, I'm going to be living in it, sometimes it won't even be parked in a campground, it will be parked in my work's parking lot!

Nov 6, 2007
needed addendum to my post. if you are looking at the dak 4wd model, they have two axle ratios (same for 2wd models). one's quite a bit lower (higher number) than the other. it gets about 17-19 at 60-65mph. the rpms on the 4.7 auto combo need to be kept at around 2,000 on the highway on your test drive @ 65 mph. that's the more economical one. if the revs are near 24-2500, then it's the low-end 'power' rear end. it tows more (7k#), but you'll pay for it over time with 10-15% worse gas mileage. low one's a 3.92, high one's 3.55. if you drive at about 62 mph, you can offset that 'loss' in mpg even with the higher numerical (but lower) rear axle ratio. in town they get about the same 16-17 mpg, since they're not at constantly higher revs on the highway. there's a great online web site at edmunds dot com. i'm one of the two original co-moderators of the dakota group there - mainly the quad cab forum portion.
my 2wd quad cab was ordered to my specs, which i do with all my cars/trucks for my specific needs. i ordered the 3.55 and would have gone even lower, but dodge didn't make it available on a quad - still haven't, shame on them, stupid marketing types. in 02, with gas prices eating up my profits making my 100+ mile round trip to and from the field every day, i put some stock 3.22 gears from the regular cab model in it, and then acquired the largest diameter tires on factory 'rt' model 17" rims that would fit on the truck. my mpg went from 20 1/2 mpg to 23+, which was about a 10% improvement. since my monthly cost in fuel/oil/tires/etc. was about $1200, my mods paid out pretty quickly. i didn't do any 'chipping' other than what was required to true up the speedometer. i always try to keep the revs at about 2k, since that's optimum for torque and mileage. good news? it still tows my 3k# boat (trailer, motor, etc.), and will easily pull it up some pretty steep ramps when i retrieve the boat. smooth on the highway too. you can get just about the same results (maybe better) in a larger chevy crew cab with short bed and proper gearing, if you need a larger truck, and you can spend more. chevies get better mpg. however, the dakota is much more like driving a regular car, and it parks in a little less footprint, which is very nice. the chevy will likely tow a bit to a lot more, but then moving up in engine size, 4wd, and on and on, will just move the mpg back down the scale. you can get a bigger engine in the dakota too, a 5.9 which has a bit more torque, but is very thirsty. ford same thing. toyota has higher build quality overall, with the same size 4.7 liter motor (only), better seating, higher entry into cab, with a much higher price used or new. if you're gonna keep it forever, just bite the bullet and get the toyota. if you'll keep it for 5-10 years and then replace it, the others will work just fine for you.
jack b :) in midland, tx usa

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26X Morro Bay
TheMacWay - I've logged in thousands of Internet hours, and I've never read a more pointful and informative post in any forum ever. Thanks a million, you obviously have done the research and testing, but you took it one step further, you're telling the right people about it. You are the reason the internet is great, keep up the good work. You did mention a quick little bomb I hope you can expand on, could you be more specific as to the chevy truck year and gearing you spoke of. Also, I wasn't quick enough to pickup the 4k 2000 quadcab, but there is a 98 for sale in my area for low 3's. Is the 98 similar, or should I try and stick with a certain year span? Thanks again.

Nov 6, 2007
i've got a partner (same guy that has the dak quad cab like mine) who still has his windstar. another former employee has the chevy truck i was talking about. it's at least a 2002, maybe on 03, and i'll ask both of them about their towing experiences this weekend. another sailing friend in new mexico tows a mac 26x with something different as well (i'll ask). the guy with the chevy 4 door short bed, really wanted a quad cab like ours, but changed his mind at the last minute (financing issues?), and i'll get that from him too. i do know the weights of the two trucks are similar, as is the ford f150 and even the dodge ram 4 doors, but the chevies always get just a little better mileage than other brands, maybe not toyota though. i guess i was confused here, in that i thought you had a ceiling of $5k for a vehicle. if you DO, forget the other trucks and look at dakota quads with the 4.7/4spd/3.55 setups. the ltd. slip doesn't matter here as it rarely rains and never snows much. you might need lsd and/or 4wd. dunno. might as well get it as it adds a bunch to resale and usability (think steep boat ramps in the rain), but they do have a bit more maintenance too. if you have $10k or better, go with a toyota. ANY toyota. unless you need 8k# towing or something. over 200-300k+ miles, you just canNOT beat a toy. noway, nohow. ain't gonna happen. i'd even use a tacoma v-6 as they are tough as nails. however, not all of us like the styling or the maker or whatever of a particular truck, so to each his own. i looked for a year, narrowed it down to several trucks in late 99, and i chose the dakota quad, ordering it exactly like i wanted it, even though i had unlimited - literally, unlimited - funds to choose my truck at that time. it's been a jewel, and i wouldn't change a single, solitary thing about it, but i would've bought a toyota tundra (smaller one), if they had been around in 99 in a 4 door, even at the much higher price they brought. no question.
my daks even black, and hundreds of carwashes later the paint's still perfect on the thing, and it's never been hand or machine waxed, not even once - just polished annually and i use car wash 'sprayed' wax-protector on it. looks brand new, purrs like a kitten, tows like a dream, and wails like a banshee when i want it too. but hey, that's just me...
i'll ask those guys and get back to you. they take meticulous records, as uncle sam hates, and audits accordingly, just about all of us 'independents' in the oilfield. nobody likes us, although we make less money, throughout our careers, than a chicken inspector or a good bartender. boom-bust cycles are no fun.

questions to think over: do you need a backseat in your truck? does it need to seat 1-3 adults often or just kids and occasional 'stuff?' do you want to step up into a truck or just slide into the seat more like a car? do you anticipate hauling other trailers/vehicles or 'big' stuff in the bed? will you perform most of the maintenance in your driveway? how long/many miles would you likely keep it for? snow? rain? hail? in your area. your wife's comfort issues? kids messy? envision a truck topper (camper) at some point? daily target mpg unloaded?
with the dakota quad cab as your mean-average, you can go up a bit into the larger, full-size trucks/suv's (toyota highlander is a great one) or smaller with a tacoma. however, both directions will take you up in price quite a bit. for the difference, as s'dog suggested, you could have a dakota-type truck AND a car, if you have the room.
that 4.7 liter 4 or 5 spd tranny combo, with a decent rear end for mpg, is a magical thing at that 4k#+ weight level, running at about 2k rpm over the road at 65mph or so. it just is. several makes and models have the combo, but what do you really want to spend?
jack b :) in midland, tx usa

'if my ship went down with a young heart broke, would you feed my dog, would you call my folks' - bill ervin 'remember me' - singer songwriter, purveyor of pernicious pub tunes par excellence...

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
There won't be a shortage of examples of people who have towed a Mac26 with an underpowered and/or unsafe vehicle; however, for your safety and for the safety of those who share the road with you, I recommend you use the towing data in the operators manual when choosing a tow vehicle.

More on towing small boats at this link:

http://h260.com/travel/travel.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.