Too many ads

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The other day looking under boat information, there were too many pop ups and ads. Trying to x out some ads, hitting the x key did not work! Are you experiencing this too. Who is handling the content?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would think it falls to the "Forum Admin, Gen II" but that is strictly a guess. I also did a search of the boat information and found the same pop-up ads clouding the space. It is a disappointment though not sure it is unplanned. There may need to be some clickbait revenue from the shop side of the site. Or... there has been som hacking going on. Lucy...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've seen that before but that only happens to me if I am not logged in. I guess it is the penalty for not being a member.....:biggrin:

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
The other day looking under boat information, there were too many pop ups and ads. Trying to x out some ads, hitting the x key did not work! Are you experiencing this too. Who is handling the content?

I moved this to the Forum Help section,maybe @Dave can answer your question

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
If you are not logged in you will get ads. SBO is a small business and every revenue stream matters.

Clicking on the X at the top of the ad tells Google that you don't like that particular ad. To make the ad disappear, click on the ^ shape at the bottom of the ad (see attached image). Doing this should remove the ad, however, the ads will return when you go to a new page.

Ad.png

At least on my computer, the ads are all on the far right side. If they are covering any of the text or content you might try making the window larger so there is a bigger margin on the right side.

When you log in there is an option for "Stay Logged On" (or similar words). Selecting this option will keep you logged in even after closing the browser window or shutting down your computer. This will block ads when you return to SBO. Clearing Cookies will delete the cookie that keeps you logged in and the ads will reappear until you are logged in again.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
A little off topic but related...
YouTube has now blocked me from viewing any videos until I disable my ad blocker
or pay for their premium service.
It's everywhere!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A little off topic but related...
YouTube has now blocked me from viewing any videos until I disable my ad blocker
or pay for their premium service.
It's everywhere!
Yep, I had a couple of good years with no ads and now face the same fate.

Creating and posting content on YouTube takes time and a sizable investment in good equipment. The good creators are entertaining and informative and deserve to be compensated for their time, effort, and investment. However, a large percentage of the ad revenue goes to YouTube and not the creator. Last I heard, the creators received less than 50% of the ad revenue.

The handful of creators I find especially informative or entertaining I subscribe to on Patreon. I get to watch mostly ad free videos and they get a bigger slice of the pie.

And then there are the embedded ads. Creators get paid for creating an ad and embedding in the video. Some are really funny and I don't mind them, others not so much. The ads on Sampson Boat Co are pretty entertaining.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yeah, I've signed up for 6 sailing/repair creators on patreon,
so I get the ones I wanted there.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
When I go to Boat Info, the page shows that I'm logged into SBO, but I still get ads to the left, right and on the bottom, plus a pop-up ad for a pdf download.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... and here it is again when I log out ... I see ads.

1701122644953.png

This would seem to imply that it is a setting within the profile on the SBO server and not an ad blocker on your computer.

• Helpful

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
First, let me be clear, I won't do anything to stop ads from appearing. It takes volunteers and money to maintain this site. Removing ads is simply not financially viable. Other sailing forums charge a fee to block ads, we don't. Of course, if the membership wants to pay a fee and have ads removed the owners might consider that, however, that would likely be the end of SBO as we know it.

I am going to draw a line here. Posts that share tips, other than by logging in, to avoid ads will be deleted and could jeopardize the poster's membership on SBO. That is much more draconian than I like to be, however, the reasoning behind this should be quite clear.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
It's already full screen on my laptop.
OK, so I'm spoiled by my 27" screen. Reducing the font size may help, but that will make you squint more.

Incidentally, when I change logins I get an ad that obscures most of the login button, so I feel the frustration. Alas, if just moving the ads to a new position was within my powers, I would do that, but it is not.