over starting line early

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
In a small club racing, the racing instructions state "even if the I flag is not displayed, (which we never use) any boat over early must go back around either the committee boat or the pin end and restart. I think the correct way is to go back behind the starting line and do the penalty and restart. If you started on starboard tack having to Tack to port tack and go around the anchorded Committee boat is a dangerous move.
Patrick

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Interesting addition to the SI’s. Do you have a particularly aggressive fleet that needs the extra disincentive to not be OCS, rather than the default rule allowing a dip start?

I would not recommend adding a prohibition against going around the boat end. If a boat is OCS on the pin end they might cause lots of “excitement” if they try to get back over to the boat end. But trying to do that would be tactically very challenging and probably lots slower than just going around the pin. If someone is OCS and one of the first boats at the boat end tacking to go around the boat is probably lots safer and faster than trying duck or cross the whole fleet to get back to the pin. In either case I’d let the tactical considerations guide the early starter on the best way around rather than trying to force one with the rules.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
In a small club racing, the racing instructions state "even if the I flag is not displayed, (which we never use) any boat over early must go back around either the committee boat or the pin end and restart. I think the correct way is to go back behind the starting line and do the penalty and restart. If you started on starboard tack having to Tack to port tack and go around the anchorded Committee boat is a dangerous move.
Patrick
Agree that having to go around outside of the pin or Committee boat for every OCS boat could create dangerous situations. This is probably why having to go around the ends is not standard procedure. Rule 21.1 says boats returning to start correctly must keep clear of other boats, so they have no rights. Like @Davidsailor26 suggests above, an OCS boat in the middle of the line might be able to dip back below the line with fewer crossing issues (read: more safely for all competitors) than having to round the ends. Your RC may be trying to scare people into not being early, but limiting their options could lead to collisions, damage, and people getting hurt.
Do note that beyond restarting properly by returning to the pre-start side of the line, there is no other "penalty" for being over the line early.
Unless one considers not being scored at the finish because they were OCS and didn't start properly.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Patrick
/QUOTE]
At least with the around the ends rule OCS boats sort of clear the starting area instead of going directly back to the line. But either way there is an opportunity for untoward events during the confusion of the start.
Speaking as a moderately successful racing starter I think it's best to hit the starting line at hull speed near the gun and in the cleanest air possible. A fleet champion with our group adds the winner of the start is revealed five minutes into the first leg.