Name The Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
aduffE37- that is waaaay to easy. Even I knew that one and I'm from Massachusetts!

Jun 16, 2010
In search of my next boat Palm Harbor, FL
It looks like our house in the Caymans, after the last hurricane... minus the writing on the walls.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hmmm... I'm not getting the point of this thread.

Dec 28, 2010
Endeavour 37'4" plan A Niceville Florida
no point to it just simple bordem. and quietly reliving memories, nothing too serious.

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth VA
No extra credit for me, but my guess

Cape Ann (Thatcher Island) Lights between Gloucester and Rockport

Dec 28, 2010
never been up that far north. what is up with two light though? one is broken? :)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
So you can do that horizontal angle thing

and tell your distance off
Used prior to GPS when all we had was eyeballs

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Well, cbsailor got the location, though no extra credit.

aduffE37 - no, one is not broken. Duh.

Bill Roosa - I guess you could do a horizontal angle to figure distance off, but it would be rather complicated unless you knew that you were perpendicular to a line drawn between them. Otherwise, the angle would vary from zero if they were in-line (one behind the other) to some maximum value if you were perpendicular to them.

Actually according to one source, they were placed so that sailors could line them up like a range and then know what direction north lay. I suppose if your compass was broken in a storm that info could be useful.

See the link below for even more than you ever wanted to know about the Thacher Island lights.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=475

Dec 28, 2010
Buck 420 got it....... Buck420 do you have any pictures of spots that aren't to generic? has some sort of recognizability to it? throw it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.