I'm a newbie fresh and green!

Mar 29, 2023
Hunter 466 Saw mill bay Chamount NY
Leeward Rail are you going to tell me I can't do it because Ive never owned a sailboat?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Leeward Rail are you going to tell me I can't do it because I've never owned a sailboat?
I doubt it. We all have to start some where. I spent almost as much money during the first winter refit making my boat safe to take the Scouts out as I paid for her. Good luck with the projects. :beer:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Leeward Rail are you going to tell me I can't do it because Ive never owned a sailboat?
Sailing is one thing, managing the systems on a large sailboat is another. Sometimes trying to learn both at the same time can be daunting. On the other hand, for some people jumping into the deep end is what they live for.

Be prepared to feel overwhelmed and under budgeted in time and money. There are many days I walk out of the boatyard muttering "I hate boats" only to return the next day. (Today will be day 3 in a 4 day run of good weather).

A year ago yesterday, this is the beach I was over looking, having sailed from Lake Ontario to Green Turtle Cay, in the Abacos. All that sweat, time, money, and cussing was worth it.

1681481220670.png

And not far from you, Granddad can watch the kids cliff jumping at Camelot Island.

1681481725741.png

Good Luck, enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Hey looks awesome, and dealing with a boat that the manufacturer is still in business is a plus. I'd say look at some extra certification training, that is at a sailing school vs just online.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:wow3: Clay...
You found a lot more boat. A big step up. An interesting learning curve ahead.

This might be a good boat to have a knowledgable sailor or even an instructor go out with you a few times to help sharpen your handling skills.

I would want to practice a lot of boat movement actions around a buoy to gain confidence in controlling the boat in all types of conditions. The Hunter 42 has a lot of "Freeboard" (the sides and dodger that is above the waterline). This means the boat will be pushed around in the wind. This will make docking a challenge. Think driving/parking a 4 door sedan compared to a 36ft RV Bus or an 18 wheel tractor trailer. You want to practice in a big parking lot before you go down a tiny 2 lane road in the back country.

You have a furling Main sail. As you can read here on the forum, they can be great or a real pain to manage. They require a certain amount of maintenance, more than no furling main sail. I'd encourage you read the various threads and do a bit of practice just sitting at the dock on a calm day so that your gain the knowledge and nuances of your particular hardware. It is easy to get the sail stuck at the wrong time.

I look forward to hearing more about your boat.

Congrats. Fair winds and calm seas.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
MAYBE the Moderators could move the thread from the Pearson forum to the Hunter forum.

Or @Clay Smith could just start a new thread.

Mar 29, 2023
Thanks all for your input, I'm the type of guy who has always been the one to jump in the deep end as one of you put it. I'm also the guy that when someone says "thats gonna be a challenge you might want to re think that" I usally respond with "here hold my beer!" Perverbally that is, as I don't drink........ yet!
I've owned power boats in the past so I THOUROGHLY REMEMBER "the definition of a boat is a hole in the water you keep throwing your money in". And in fact already see some things I want to make better. $$$$$.
I'll be starting ASA sailing lessons soon and a coast guard safety coarse as well. And also I will be sailing with my friend Captain Ron in his boat on the west coast in a few weeks. I had planned to spend a lot of time getting used to how she handles. And Maybe even hiring someone to help me learn. Thanks again to all for the encouragement and constructive words of wisdom this is exactly what I joined this forum for. Oh as for the length of the vessel, I used to own and drive over the road trucks so size isnt scaring me to much. I know its like comparing apples to oranges or should I say vehicles to vessels. But you get the point. Now could someone point me in the right direction for Dinghys and Davits? LETS DO THIS TIMES A WASTING!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
jssailem This thread has a lot of history to it. Im not sure if I want to move it, but if the Moderators think it doesnt belong here then by all means move it. I thought I was in the "green newbie dont know alot yet forum", I didnt know I was in the "PEARSON" only forum.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It should be fun!

I chose a slightly different path, but one that I enjoyed just the same…

1) sailed with a friend (and got hooked)
2) Took a 3-day charter boat class, where we learned some basics (lots of dock work) and got certified to charter a Catalina 36 from the outfit.
3) Charted the C36 a few times that summer
4) Bought a 28 foot Hunter…my first boat…owned her ~5 years, learned all her systems, learned more about sailing, etc.
5) Bought an older and bigger boat (1988 O’Day 322) that I missed out on when I bought the Hunter.

Still have the O322, new sails this year and still enjoy sailing her.

Greg

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
jssailem This thread has a lot of history to it. Im not sure if I want to move it, but if the Moderators think it doesnt belong here then by all means move it. I thought I was in the "green newbie dont know alot yet forum", I didnt know I was in the "PEARSON" only forum.
There is no need to move the thread, although the information and discussion was productive and the OP has benefited from the collective wisdom.

For future questions, and yes I'm sure you will have them, there will be more eyes on the post if the question is asked in "Ask All Sailors." A very specific brand question posting in the Hunter Forum may be more productive.

Enjoy your new boat!

Mar 29, 2023
Thank you Dave that helps clarify things for me. Greg, it sounds like you learned in a much more traditional way. I'm newly retired, in good health but dont know how long that will last so like many of my adventures I am throwing myself into this 110%. Ive spent alot of time reading, and watching videos about sailboats and sailing. And Greg Im already wishing I got into this earlier in my life. Tomorrow I hope to nail down my sailing lesson dates. Also I've found a sailor who is willing to help me a bit with getting to know the boat. I plan to spend most everyday on this boat working on her and learning. Anyway, Again thanks to all for your input.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thank you Dave ...............to all for your input.
Hey Clay, sharing your enthusiasm with the group is delightful. Thank so much for that. I've been tracking this group for over twenty years and though there's been many active member changes. The enthusiasm and commitment to our pastime remains strong.
Comment on posting...... Clay, the best way to participate is to post in "Ask All Sailors". That way you miss nothing, and no one misses you, because we all follow that list. Again, welcome, looking forward to following your adventures.

Last edited:
  • Helpful