Hunter 31-2 Mainsheet Routing

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
I bought a hunter 31, and I thought the mainsheet was supposed to be double ended and controllable from the helm station OR the coach roof. However, mine terminates at the boom and is only controllable from the coach roof. The owner's manual shows it as not double ended, like mine. Does anyone out there have one that's rigged with dual ended control of the mainsheet, and was it an after-purchase modification or did the factory make some of them like that? I'd really rather have control of main sheeting from the helm rather than having to climb back and forth repeatedly.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It could be a creative idea. It would require more space to have lines running in two directions. Do you have the space on your deck?
What are your thoughts about friction? What would be your procedure to quickly drop the sail if there was a jamb?

With a single line you have the line hidden when the sail is up. To have a double ended line you would have the down haul flapping in the wind against the mast as you sail. This might be why they are not popular.

But if it is something you can accept, there is no reason you cannot do it.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
I have a 2009 Hunter 31-2. My real question is whether they came from the factory with dual ended mainsheets?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
dual ended mainsheets
Trying to understand your words.
Dual Ended...
Do you mean:
  1. 1677684421114.png
  2. 1677684459641.png
Or that the line ran continuously like furler lines are sometimes rigged.

Nov 24, 2015
Hunter 27 Middle River
As an example: on the hunter 33 one end of the mainsheet is routed from the traveller block through the boom, down to the mast base and back to a stop block near the companionway. The other end of the mainsheet is routed from the traveller across and down the traveller arch where its easily accessible to the helmstation.
I'm trying to figure out if mine was originally rigged that way and a PO reconfigured.