Hunter 216 keep pin replacement

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Has anyone ever replaced their keel pin on a Hunter 216? it is not broken, but I do have some wobbling side to side while sailing and I'd rather do some preventative maintenance to the 15 year old keel pin so I don't have to find out what loosing a keel while sailing feels like. I have the new pin and two circular plastic bushings? Does anyone have and photos or experience for this job specifically for the Hunter 216? I'm having a forklift pull the keel next month and I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

Also, how do you get the keel out? I don't want to lift the boat off the trailer so I'm thinking using Amsteel line tied to the end of the wire for lifting the keel then tied off to the steel plate where the hydraulic lift attaches so the keel doesn't swing down while its being lifted out. I do not want to keep the hydraulic pump in while its being lifted out because I don't want it to get damaged. I'll also build a little cradle for the keel to rest on while I take the metal frame off to replace the pin.

Again, any pictures or words of wisdom is appreciated. Please note that any experience replacing the keel pin on a Catalina 22 or an O'day is really not going to help me. They are completely different designs and require completely different methods. I'm specifically looking for Hunter 216 advice.
Thank you

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I've lifted the entire board and frame assembly to clean and paint but never replaced the pin; Removing the hydraulic cylinder is probably a good idea; I used a fencing tensioner to ratchet the board all the way up and chains and hoisting straps on a 2 ton engine hoist to lift the assembly - there's eight or ten screws (?) holding the frame on the hull.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You have found the people but most often it was ChuckWayne who I referred folks to out of the work done and safety.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Thanks all, I don't think I'm goin to have a problem getting the board out, I think I just need to know if there is a metal bushing for the centerboard pin to go through or not. Lead is pretty malleable and I wonder if the hole in the board has opened up a little after 14 years making it feel a little "loose" when sailing. Maybe I'm just used to fixed keels. I still plan on making up a fitted wedge to fit in behind the keel so she'll be able to go head on through waves without the keel feeling like it wants to break through the front of the centerboard trunk.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Just a suggestion and it depends on whether the pin and bushing you mentioned are stock Hunter parts.

If you had a variety of different wall thickness pieces with the same interior diameter as the outside of the new "original" pin you could quickly fabricate a bushing if the hole in the lead is worn. The issue of course would be to not create a new problem where the up and down rotation of the keel is affected. By suggestion wouldn't work very well if the hole is worn in an oval shape. I'm not sure if the pin rotates on the frame or the keel rotates on the pin????

I'm guessing about the purpose of the plastic bushings but they may be spacer washers that fit between the side of the keel and the framework that attaches to the boat.

In any event I'm looking forward to learning from your repair and am quite interested in your "fitted wedge" solution to eliminating the "swinging" effect of the keel.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I’ve been thinking about my “swinging keel” comment and I’m not sure it’s accurate to say the keel is swinging when the boat climbs, crests and descends the wave. I’m thinking the 500lb blade with hydraulic loads on it probably stays quite vertical in the water column as the hull rotates on the pin so perhaps I should have said the ‘hull swings”.

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
I know its not the Hunter 216 model, but I think I answered my bushing question while doing some research on the forum:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/hunter-22-keel-repair.159666/
I think the 216 keel will be similar to this with a large circular indentation for the bushing. When I ordered the pin and bushings from the website I received the pin and two HDPE bushings that looked a little big, but now seeing the larger indentation in the H-22 keel, I'm assuming mine will look similar. on another Note: there was two different options for the keel pin. A 3.5" and a 6.5" ling pin. I'm guessing the pin went through the centerboard trunk on later models??? I have a 2004 model and there is nothing protruding through the trunk so I got the 3.5" pin. Hope its the right one.

I'm assuming this will do wonders with the side-to-side motion of the keel, but I think you're right that the boat is what's moving through the waves and the keel is what is staying relatively in the same place and the banging is the front of the centerboard truck coming back in contact with the keel. I haven't put too much thought into it yet, but I plan on tackling this one of two ways... or perhaps both. Note that my boat will be in a slip for the season and I plan on removing the hydraulic pump from the centerboard slot and storing it upright in the cabin ready to put back in place if needed. Also note there are early planning stages and haven't really looked into them too much yet.

1. - Screw an eye into the top of the keel when keel in in the lowered position. Make up a small purchase going from the eye to the back of the centerboard truck where the hydraulic ram attaches. This will pull the top of the keel back put pressure on the leading edge of the keel tight against the front of the CB trunk and hopefully makes the keel move more in line with the boats movements.
2. - Use a 3/4 or 1" plank of HDPE (starboard) to fit down behind the keel when the keel is in the lowered position.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I assume these are the parts you purchased. I'm a bit amazed that the pin is only 1/2 in diameter albeit stainless to hold a 500lb keel in place but I guess if it hasn't broken by now....

Interesting that you are creating a "reversible" fixed keel solution. I was drawn to the drop keel as I can now launch and retrieve myself without having to use a crane or travelift. However once launched I will rarely have to raise the keel due to water depth. I keep the boat on an exposed mooring so I'm thinking I might raise the keel to keep the keel from slopping around and wearing but will have to get it in the water and observe what actually happens.

I get the idea of pulling the keel back as this is only replicating what the ram does. I'm not so sure I would start with a really rigid board. Something with a little flex or compression would allow you to assess if you are putting excess strain on a particular area that perhaps wasn't designed to handle that????

centreboard pin.jpg

Keel spacer.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
This isn’t really related to your centreboard issue other than what your doing seems to be related to improving performance.
Do you have a “plastic” strip on either side of the slot the centreboard exits the bottom of the hull? Mine does but part of it is coming loose and I’m going to have to fix it. I’m not really sure of its purpose, one thought is to seal the edges around the board to reduce drag but maybe it’s just there to keep water from gushing in and has little to do with performance????

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I just realized that I misspoke about replicating what the ram does as you are actually rotating the keel down instead of up.
Have you considered adding something along each side of the keel to add friction?

Jan 4, 2019
Hunter 216 Charleston, SC
Hello all! H216sailor, I would love to hear the end of your story! I am also concerned about a wobbling keel on my Hunter 216. Thank you for sharing!

Jun 26, 2018
Hunter 216 Branford
Hi Guys, Haven't replaced the pin yet. Its been cold and rainy in CT so haven't done much boat stuff. I took the cover off last weekend. MY yacht club is busy launching boats and working on everyone else's project so I figure I'll launch the boat mothers day weekend, then wait for the launching crowd to die down before I schedule my forklift time. The pin is still probably fine for the time being, but I would like to get it done before June.