Centerboard on Hunter 216

Apr 8, 2017
Hunter 216 Havre de Grace, MD
Hi, I bought a 2003 Hunter 216 over the winter. Unfortunately, I did not see it operate before I bought it. It is still on the trailer. I am trying to figure out the cabling for the centerboard. There is a cable that goes from the base of the hydraulic pump, over the pulley, and attaches to the centerboard. At this attachment point, there is another cable - but that cable is only 6 inches long and has obviously snapped off. My question is, is there supposed to be more than one cable? Like a safety cable? Also, the only lowering distance would seem to come from the length that the piston comes out of the hydraulic pump. Is that right? Also, does the centerboard pivot at the front (and therefore the rear of it swings down), or is it the opposite? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I never saw it operate, and would like to understand it before I put it in the water.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Hi Richard, congrats on your 216!
1. only the one cable from the hydraulic cylinder - don't know what the other one could be.
2.the piston provides the full range of the board
3. pivots at the front - it will kick up if you hit something and retracts almost completely into the hull for launch and retrieval.
4.close the valve and see if the piston can fully lift the board (it should be horizontal in the hull, with maybe 2-3" protruding underneath). the cylinders sometimes need to be bled and/or have the fluid topped up, especially on that old a unit. it may even need a rebuild. when trailering, let the board down so it's resting on the trailer - takes the stress off the cylinder. I've posted the maintenance instructions in the archives. If a rebuild is needed, you can order the parts and do it yourself or send it back to the manufacturer. Note that when the boat is stored, the cylinder should be removed from the boat and stored vertically.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You will find a lot of us who can help on the 216 and Chuckwayne is a good source. Thank you Chuckwayne for your contribution as always.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 216 Sammamish WA
Crazy Dave, Chuckwayne,
This is Mark ( I have no idea how I got this Mark1888 name ). I am new to the forum, and may be using bad manners for jumping in to this conversation ( for which I apologize ), but I have a 216 centerboard issue and wanted to see if I could get a conversation started on it. I have a 2005 216 and I am concerned about what I think is excessive side to side play in the centerboard. I was able to get some information on lifting out the entire centerboard / housing assembly, but nothing about how to deal with this issue. It may be that installing a replacement pivot pin and bushings will solve the issue, but it seems to me that the basic design of the centerboard cage fosters the likelihood that side to side play will inevitably develop. Have you encountered this yourselves, or do you know of anyone who has noted this problem?
Thanks,
Mark

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
HI Mark,
sorry for the delay, Like Dave I've ben offline for a while...
I don't seem to have that problem on my 216, but I agree that the most likely issue is wear/play on the pivot pin.
You will have to remove the whole frame and board - be careful, you're lifting 500lbs out of the boat. I use a 2 ton engine lift that can extend over the side of the boat and still lift 500lbs.

Jun 9, 2015
Hunter 216 Bradenton
I’m looking at a 216…donated..says it needs a “keel lifting pennant”…cannot find on Hunter parts list. Also where are archives to investigate chuckwayne’s input as to keel lifting hydraulic cylinder? Thanks in advance. Ken